Gibson & Epiphone Guitar Forum
Registered Member Login:
Not a member? Register today!

Welcome to the Gibson & Epiphone Guitar Forum.

You're going to love it here. We've got Gibson & Epiphone forums, member galleries, classified ads, and more for you here.
You can read posts as a guest but posting here requires registration. But, don't worry, registering is quick, easy and painless. Why not register today?

Notices

Amp Town Talk amps, tubes, speakers and everything AMP related.

Old March 14th, 2017, 06:24 PM   #31 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

I have never had a lick of trouble with my Cube 80xl or my Cube 40xl. And I have gigged them for years with both. However I believe they are second-generation amps. It's possible they're not as good now. i had an early cosm cube 60 for a while which I really liked the but I let it go because the XL series had built in loopers.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Alpine White is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2017, 06:25 PM   #32 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

I seem to recall one of the generations of the cube series had an annoying gate and digital artifact

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Alpine White is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2017, 08:12 PM   #33 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

The one I picked up was the 80GX which was the last version. They dropped the looper on the GX and replaced it with something that for some reason escapes me right now.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
Infant is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2017, 09:40 PM   #34 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

Champion 40 Does it.

I've got some nice tube amps and for the small club stuff I do low wattage is fine. But..... tube amps are heavy and I am ....well..not young any more! No more throwing a huge Marshall head on top of a stack or carting a big combo up the back stairs!
Recently my pick up and go amp has been the Fender Champion 40 - weighs nothing and very inexpensive and with a decent 12 inch speaker. I've thought some some tranny combos rather thin in the past and stayed away from onboard effects but this amp with it's digital front end is really rather good.
No! It isn't quite a rich as a tube amp but you get a whole range of simulations and effects in one box without all the pedals and it's plenty loud enough. Hate to say it but I don't think the audience notice or care; I still get compliments on the sound.
Also for a good loud overdriven sound in a tiny box - the Orange Micro Terror is great fun and great value.
MickeyB is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2017, 06:14 AM   #35 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

Personally, I wouldn't go back to solid state amps. It's as much about the feel as the sound. It feels to me like tube amps are more touch sensitive, and respond better to playing dynamics. So for gigs I have a 60W Marshall JCM2000 TSL602 2x2" and for practice/home use I have a 5W Marshall DSL5C. The 5W can be dropped further to around 1W so it's ideal.

My son is really keen on the Kemper modelling things. I'm sure they sound really good, and that no audience member will ever tell the difference, but I'm not convinced the playing dynamics response would be the same.
Old March 17th, 2017, 06:24 AM   #36 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

You'd be surprised Dave. I've played nothing but tube amps since the early 90s and the Peavey Transtube Bandit really surprised me with its dynamics. I also hear that the new Boss Katana series is very tube - like though I haven't tried it yet. I just find that the types of gigs I'm doing now don't necessarily require a tube amp. I guarantee that 99% of the people wouldn't notice. However, my sore back will appreciate the lighter SS amp. I own all of the PA and so at the end of a gig, I'm left on my own to unload everything at home. I'm at the age now where lighter is better. I'm still using a Blues Deluxe but as soon as I find a nice Cube 80, that may change.

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
Infant is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2017, 07:51 AM   #37 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

SAguitar said: I have an old Fender Stage 100 that I play sometimes when I want something different. It's like a low maintenance girlfriend.

+1

I love my 1984 Fender Stage Lead amp, which I've owned since it was new. I bought it because I liked the low maintenance it has. It was one of the Rivera era amps, as the CEO of the Rivera company, who currently produce boutique amps, oversaw the manufacturing of the initial Fender SS offerings. He was only there for a year or so, and left to produce amps under his own name.

This amp has been gigged countless times and people who hear it think it's a tube amp. It's got 100W, a 12" speaker, spring reverb and is pretty loud. It's a 2 channel amp, the clean channel is a typical Fender Vibrolux sound. I used to think the gain channel was weak and underwhelming, but I've learned to use the gain channel like an artist with colors, contrasting with the clean channel, with success. As for maintenance I had the power plug upgraded to 3 prongs( 2008 ), the power on/off switch was replaced, and the spring reverb was changed out in 2014. But I didn't have to change any tubes. This amp has been so stable and I still use it for small gigs, like backing a choir at at various facilities. I also got a vintage footswitch from eBay, as I broke mine in 1987, and due to reorganization of Fender in 1985, a lot of parts were not available.

I now have a Super-Sonic 22W, because of the 2 stage gain channel I can really nail heavy distortion sounds (think Fender Bassman/Marshall distortion). But the tube thing still scares me and I have already maintained it(changed a few tubes) 3 times since 2013. The biggest difference is the gain channel in comparison to the old Stage Lead. It also is a touch more dynamic, and sensitive to pedals than the Stage Lead. If I use the same pedal setup I might have a wailing/screaming amp with the Super-Sonic and just stable sound on the SS Stage lead. Remarkably, the amps are so similar in sound ( especially the clean channels) and equally as loud. To me this proves there is no superiority of Tubes over SS, and tube amps are still high maintenance.
qblue is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2017, 04:33 AM   #38 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infant View Post
You'd be surprised Dave. I've played nothing but tube amps since the early 90s and the Peavey Transtube Bandit really surprised me with its dynamics. I also hear that the new Boss Katana series is very tube - like though I haven't tried it yet. I just find that the types of gigs I'm doing now don't necessarily require a tube amp. I guarantee that 99% of the people wouldn't notice. However, my sore back will appreciate the lighter SS amp. I own all of the PA and so at the end of a gig, I'm left on my own to unload everything at home. I'm at the age now where lighter is better. I'm still using a Blues Deluxe but as soon as I find a nice Cube 80, that may change.

Yeah, I seem to cop all the PA duties as well as singing and playing guitar! I get fed up with how the guys all suddenly get deep in conversation or fixing their gear when I roll up with the PA.
Old March 22nd, 2017, 07:05 AM   #39 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

When I first heard the Vox Pathfinder 4x8, I thought it was tubed. It has a really clean, pure tone that's great for playing clean. It's only 15 watts, but for playing at church it's all I need.
LOSTVENTURE is offline Offline   Reply With Quote