Gibson & Epiphone Guitar Forum
Registered Member Login:
Not a member? Register today!

Welcome to the Gibson & Epiphone Guitar Forum.

You're going to love it here. We've got Gibson & Epiphone forums, member galleries, classified ads, and more for you here.
You can read posts as a guest but posting here requires registration. But, don't worry, registering is quick, easy and painless. Why not register today?

Notices

Amp Town Talk amps, tubes, speakers and everything AMP related.

Old February 26th, 2017, 11:29 AM   #11 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

To be honest, anything much above 1w is too loud for home use, unless you have a huge mansion.

I rarely use amps at home, but when I do, I use a Vox AC4TV, usually at the 1w setting. When I record, I go straight into a PC using an Akai EIE Pro into Garage band.

If you have to have an amp for home, then I would go solid state rather than valve. Much easier to manage volumes.

http://www.thepiecesofmind.com/
johnreardon is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2017, 12:59 PM   #12 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnreardon View Post
To be honest, anything much above 1w is too loud for home use, unless you have a huge mansion.

I rarely use amps at home, but when I do, I use a Vox AC4TV, usually at the 1w setting. When I record, I go straight into a PC using an Akai EIE Pro into Garage band.

If you have to have an amp for home, then I would go solid state rather than valve. Much easier to manage volumes.

I agree. That's why I like these low wattage valve amps that you can drop still further in power.

Mind you, I think you kind of lose the advantage of valves once they're not being really pushed hard. It's probably fair to say that if you're strictly a bedroom player then a digital modelling amp is probably a better bet.

(Sits back and waits for the backlash coming his way .....)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old February 26th, 2017, 01:36 PM   #13 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screaming Dave View Post
I agree. That's why I like these low wattage valve amps that you can drop still further in power.

Mind you, I think you kind of lose the advantage of valves once they're not being really pushed hard. It's probably fair to say that if you're strictly a bedroom player then a digital modelling amp is probably a better bet.

(Sits back and waits for the backlash coming his way .....)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No problems from me. Fully agree with you. I only play valve amps and use a Mesa Express Plus 5:50 or Orange Dual Terror for gigs and as I said, don't normally use an amp at home.

If I never gigged, I would still only occasionally use the Vox. If I used pedals, then I would go for a modelling amp, but I just plug straight into an amp

Old February 27th, 2017, 03:46 AM   #14 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

Not sure if anyone here also uses the SixString social media app for guitarists. There's been discussion on there about whether there should be a range of stomp boxes for bedroom use - tailored to sound good a low volume. Personally I think the trick is getting the amp to sound good at low volume, not the pedals
Old March 1st, 2017, 10:17 PM   #15 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

Exactly. It's a function of the amplifier!
Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.
SAguitar is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2017, 02:50 AM   #16 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screaming Dave View Post
.. Personally I think the trick is getting the amp to sound good at low volume, not the pedals
Too right. I detest pedals or even listening to guitarists using them. I love the sound of valve amps being pushed not hearing something that sounds like a bee buzzing.

Old April 9th, 2017, 12:15 PM   #17 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by anfontan View Post
Personally I like the Valvestate amps from Marshall a lot better than their MG series, if you prefer a solid state amp. On the other hand, Marshall has very cute 1W and 5W valve amps, which are certainly interesting as bedroom amps.

When I was looking for a Marshall I had to go with the Valvestate-the valve was so much smoother. The MG was'nt even close to the Valvestate!
Agreed on MGs. I actually prefer the ones that are even earlier than AVT/Valvestate series. I haven't tried the mosfets that immediately preceded the AVT/Valvestate, though have heard good things. But I have three of the earliest solid states from the JCM 800 series, which I really like. Thread here:
http://www.gibson-talk.com/forum/amp...did-again.html

Here's a backline with a mini-stack which was not "mini" in volume!

Brian Krashpad is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2017, 07:32 PM   #18 (permalink)
Humbucker

How Loud is Loud?

The quoted wattage output and the actual loudness you hear are an interesting paradox. Folk will swear that a 15 watt valve/tube amp will slay a 15 watt solid state amp in terms of perceived volume - are they right?

Well Yes...and No! Solid state amps will give their rated output ok but push them beyond that and their particular distortion characteristics can sound horrible - so they are usually limited - a 15 watt solid state amp produces that output.
Tube amps on the other hand can go way over their rated clean output into the realms of distortion that we love. Marshall amps, it is said, give their clean rating at a volume setting of 2 to 3... but then you have a whole lot more throttle still left.

The loudness thing is interesting. I was choked to once discover that my 100 watt head wasn't twice as loud as my previous 50 watter. But that isn't how it works. It's about decibels - factors of ten so to actually be twice as loud I'd have needed 500 watts! Turn this around and a 10 watt amp is half as loud as a 100 watt amp, given the same speakers. Sounds incredible but I've played a gig with a 20 watt combo into a 4x12 when my 50 watt head failed and it wasn't flat out. So..1 watt is ok in the house, 5 watts may be too loud and 15 watts- 25 watts can make your ears bleed!

And we haven't mentioned speaker efficiency - a high rated speaker can literally be twice as loud for the same input.!
Make some noise!
MickeyB is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2017, 02:24 PM   #19 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

I might be being dense, but I can't see a mini stack on that picture, just two small-ish Marshall combos, one atop the other.