Gibson & Epiphone Guitar Forum
Registered Member Login:
Not a member? Register today!

Welcome to the Gibson & Epiphone Guitar Forum.

You're going to love it here. We've got Gibson & Epiphone forums, member galleries, classified ads, and more for you here.
You can read posts as a guest but posting here requires registration. But, don't worry, registering is quick, easy and painless. Why not register today?

Notices

Amp Town Talk amps, tubes, speakers and everything AMP related.

Old October 13th, 2016, 12:24 PM   #21 (permalink)
Humbucker

I don't know if this technique works with all Mesa amps, but I have owned a Studio Preamp a few times over the years. I don't know how they did it, but it has to rank up there as one of the best sounding recording amps ever. My problem with it was the lead channel being way too aggressive - turn the Drive (or Lead Gain, or whatever that control is called) to 2 or 3 and you're in Santana territory already.

So I got the schematic online and found that V3 was the OD channel tube, so I substituted an AU for the AX that was in there, and all of a sudden, I got an unbelievably gorgeous, bluesy amp! You had a sweep range up to 6 or 7 before hitting that hi gain Mesa tone, and everything leading up to it was actually incredibly good.

FWIW!

Srini

Srini is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2016, 05:11 PM   #22 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyH View Post
Saw this 50W F-50 in the musical instrument section of the local CL, and decided I had to check it out. Paid the nice man $640 after about 15 minutes of noodle time. First impression is that it stands above anything else that I've ever played through. Seems super tight, no rattles, buzzes, or farting low notes. Very compelling tones with both my strat and Gibson on both channels and the additional "contour" mode (all foot-switchable, as is the reverb). Separate 3-band tone, gain, volume, and reverb controls for each channel. Back panel seems setup to facilitate any external speaker configuration, PA, Headphone, and recording scheme. Incidentally, it's red!

I think my HRDx, and maybe some effects pedals may be looking for a new home soon. I've heard good things about the company, but this is the first Mesa I've played through. The F-50 series is apparently defunct. Anyone else have experience with these?
Yes, I bought a brand new one in 2003. It was the amp of the year. For being pretty basic for a Mesa the sound is incredible. You can play any kind of music through it. One of my best recordings was through an F-50. Mine has the original cover on it and it still looks brand new. Paid $1100 new with tax. Congrats !

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
Stratmodder is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2016, 05:13 PM   #23 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

Quote:
Saw this 50W F-50 in the musical instrument section of the local CL, and decided I had to check it out. Paid the nice man $640 after about 15 minutes of noodle time. First impression is that it stands above anything else that I've ever played through. Seems super tight, no rattles, buzzes, or farting low notes. Very compelling tones with both my strat and Gibson on both channels and the additional "contour" mode (all foot-switchable, as is the reverb). Separate 3-band tone, gain, volume, and reverb controls for each channel. Back panel seems setup to facilitate any external speaker configuration, PA, Headphone, and recording scheme. Incidentally, it's red!

I think my HRDx, and maybe some effects pedals may be looking for a new home soon. I've heard good things about the company, but this is the first Mesa I've played through. The F-50 series is apparently defunct. Anyone else have experience with these?
Is that a yellow Ultra Strat next to the F-50 ?

Old December 11th, 2016, 05:43 PM   #24 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnreardon View Post
The HRDx is 45 lbs. I remember my F50 being slightly heavier than my Express Plus 5:50 which is 54 lbs, so yes the F-50 is heavier.
I sold my 5:50 Express but, still have the F-50. My Express was a 2x12 so it was a little heavy. The F-50 is a 1x12. That isn't why I got rid of it though. I have a Marshall that weighs over 80 pounds.

Old December 12th, 2016, 11:27 AM   #25 (permalink)
Humbucker

Stratmodder:
Quote:
Is that a yellow Ultra Strat next to the F-50 ?
It's actually an early 90's Jeff Beck signature strat, my number one. Gold lace sensors, coil split on the bridge HB (push button twixt the tone pots), locking tuners, TBX tone pot, giant baseball bat neck, blah blah...

I am a Beck fan, but that had nothing to do with why I bought it. It had a roller nut when I bought it, but I changed that to (a Wilkinson?) one with ball-bearings at some point. I also installed a trem-setter. I think the color was called Antique White? I actually played a great one in a store here and really liked it, but it was a scary metal-flake purple, so I ordered this one from a catalog, maybe Musician's Friend.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	StratExt.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	3115  

MikeyH is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2016, 12:43 PM   #26 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

Quote:
Stratmodder:

It's actually an early 90's Jeff Beck signature strat, my number one. Gold lace sensors, coil split on the bridge HB (push button twixt the tone pots), locking tuners, TBX tone pot, giant baseball bat neck, blah blah...

I am a Beck fan, but that had nothing to do with why I bought it. It had a roller nut when I bought it, but I changed that to (a Wilkinson?) one with ball-bearings at some point. I also installed a trem-setter. I think the color was called Antique White? I actually played a great one in a store here and really liked it, but it was a scary metal-flake purple, so I ordered this one from a catalog, maybe Musician's Friend.
That is a great guitar. I think the Ultra Strat came from the Beck model. It has everything the Beck has but, an ebony board, flamed maple top and back and the nut that you put on your.Click image for larger version

Name:	20140528_180122.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	3116

Old December 13th, 2016, 10:43 AM   #27 (permalink)
Humbucker

I've heard of the Ultra, but I guess my guitar is probably the only production HSS I've played. I think it's probably a really good guitar for me, but a lot of modern players are put off by the thick neck which seems to me to be part of the formula that makes the early JB unique. I have medium-sized hands. I suppose the neck may be problematic for players with smaller hands, but I don't notice issues with it myself. the apex of the back of the neck is virtually flush with the flat back of the headstock. On most Fender necks I've seen there is a dip in the carve coming from the flat back of the headstock to the thinner neck. Pretty sure later model JB strats dropped the thick neck which few players seem to like.

Though I have a GP magazine from the 90's with Beck on the cover holding the signature model I have, I've never seen him on TV playing an HSS with the lace sensors. The strats he plays do seem to have the stock-style roller nut, but are fitted with conventional looking pickups.

That ebony board on the ultra must be nice, pretty sure mine's rosewood. I do like the aged look of the honey-colored tint in the finish on my neck's maple.
Old June 11th, 2017, 01:13 PM   #28 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

Quote:

I bought an F-50 brand new in 2003. I still have it with the cover on it. It looks very simplistic but, it is very inspiring to play. I can't understand how such a wonderful sound comes out of this amp. I made my best recordings with it. It still looks brand new because I have so many amps to mess around with. This amp can dial in almost any kind of genre. I have 3 boogies currently but, have been drawn to the heavier side of things and have a 5150 block head letter and a 6506+. I had a dual recifier solo head and traded it so I could build my studio. The F-50 is way over looked.

Old June 12th, 2017, 02:50 PM   #29 (permalink)
Humbucker

Stratmodder:
Quote:
This amp can dial in almost any kind of genre.
Wish I could sit down with you so you could guide me through the settings you like. This thread is pretty old, not quite dead yet!