Gibson & Epiphone Guitar Forum
Registered Member Login:
Not a member? Register today!

Welcome to the Gibson & Epiphone Guitar Forum.

You're going to love it here. We've got Gibson & Epiphone forums, member galleries, classified ads, and more for you here.
You can read posts as a guest but posting here requires registration. But, don't worry, registering is quick, easy and painless. Why not register today?

Notices

Amp Town Talk amps, tubes, speakers and everything AMP related.

Old June 5th, 2018, 08:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

Marshall DSL20HR noise

Ok guys/girls, I bought a Marshall DSL20 head last week and ahen it was delivered I noticed when turned on but not playing there is a noise in the background. Almost like wind blowing into a microphone. Itís not crazy loud but loud enough. I also noticed it had horrible feed back issues. So I tried new tubes just to try it. No luck, same issues. So I sent it back. The new one arrived today, no crazy feedback issues but still has the wind blowing noise. Is this normal for these Marshallís? Itís hard to imagine I wouldíve gotten two amps with the same problem? Iím going to call them but right now Iím getting no answer. Probably due to time zones. My peavey Classic 20 doesnít do this. Nor does my Marshall code. So I donít believe itís a ground issue or wiring issue in the house. The house is also only two years old.

Any thoughts? Is this normal? Should I exchange it for a second time?? Thanks in advance!

ALLsteven is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2018, 12:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

Well, I gotta ask, is the offending amp in the near vicinity of a computer monitor, or florescent lights, or any lights on dimmer switches? Those things often introduce noise into these situations. If not, then maybe your got a bad one, or maybe it is a problem with this model. Oh, and does this noise diminish if you turn the reverb control down?
I have not played through one of those so I am not familiar with them. The DSL20 does have a digital section in it, so that could be introducing some noise.
Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.
SAguitar is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2018, 02:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAguitar View Post
Well, I gotta ask, is the offending amp in the near vicinity of a computer monitor, or florescent lights, or any lights on dimmer switches? Those things often introduce noise into these situations. If not, then maybe your got a bad one, or maybe it is a problem with this model. Oh, and does this noise diminish if you turn the reverb control down?
I have not played through one of those so I am not familiar with them. The DSL20 does have a digital section in it, so that could be introducing some noise.

No itís in my ďman caveĒ so nothing in there but guitars and amps. The light in the room is LED and the closest TV or anything else is 3 bedrooms away. It does have reverb built in but it doesnít matter if thatís on or off. The noise stays the same. And same goes with any other setting on the amp. Nothing makes this noise change or stop besides putting it into standby.

I canít imagine I got two bad amps with the exact same issue. But Iím sure it could happen especially if these are prone to some failure that causes this or if they are just more sensitive to noise. So hopefully someone else with a DSL20 head can chime in.
Old June 6th, 2018, 10:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

Hi and welcome to Gibson Talk. Trust me, you can definitely get two amps with the same problem. It happened to me with a Roland Cube 80GX that had a fizzy background noise. I returned it and bought another one from a completely different store...same problem. Tried different cables, house circuits, even a different house. Still fuzzed! Yet no one ever mentioned this problem in any reviews that I read.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
Infant is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2018, 07:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

Yeah itís pretty crazy! You would think it would be cheaper for the company to fix the issue than to constantly deal with returns.

But just in case anyone is wondering I talked to Marshall. They say itís normal because the amp has a gyrator circuit to insure the best possible low end frequency performance and the gyrator circuit will make some noise. However some units may have less noise than others.

With that said I think thatís crazy. What if I want to mic this amp? Every time I stop playing you will hear that mess!!

Secondly I have been talking to some guys on the Marshall forums and one or two guys had the same problem and returned the amp three times before getting one that was perfectly quite. So it is possible to get one that is quite. Just not sure how good those odds are. Appears not very. Lol
So Iíve decided to exchange this one again because even tho this wasnít the most expensive Marshall, for $600 I expect it to not make this sound.

Hopefully this helps someone in my shoes!
Old June 11th, 2018, 03:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

Man, you've got some painful shoes! I would exchange it for the same model only if you really love the amp (without the gyrator circuit problem). Personally, I would be more likely to go for a different model, or maybe even a different manufacturer.
Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.
SAguitar is offline Offline   Reply With Quote