Gibson & Epiphone Guitar Forum
Registered Member Login:
Not a member? Register today!

Welcome to the Gibson & Epiphone Guitar Forum.

You're going to love it here. We've got Gibson & Epiphone forums, member galleries, classified ads, and more for you here.
You can read posts as a guest but posting here requires registration. But, don't worry, registering is quick, easy and painless. Why not register today?

Notices

The Epi Center Everything Epiphone. Got a new or vintage Epiphone? Then this is the forum for you.

Old March 14th, 2017, 02:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

Can you identify this Epiphone guitar?

Hi All

I recently bought off a friend (who had been given this guitar from somebody who had it sitting in their loft for years) an epiphone acoustic.

Unfortunately there are no serial numbers and the model sticker inside the guitar has been either taken off or fallen off...

I am interested though, I know its old, its been sitting in their loft for years and it was also accompanied by a different guitar that was dated from the 70/80 a finland made one.

Anyway hope you can help, if its not worth much I'm going to turn it into an electro acoustic. Any info on model, year, where its made would be really helpful.

p.s i know it has the wrong strings on it

Thanks
Richard

richardinlondon is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2017, 02:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

Old March 14th, 2017, 02:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

Old March 14th, 2017, 05:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

Welcome to Gibson Talk. Hopefully this link provides some info.

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/t...neck-acoustic/

Do a search of some of the models mentioned to see if you can find a match to yours.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
Infant is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2017, 12:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

Interesting guitar. Looking at the sound hole rim in your photo, I suspect it's a laminated (plywood) top guitar. Can't be sure looking at the photo. Usually the layers can be seen under the close-grain veneer at the sound hole, and laminated tops look unnaturally flat when compared to solid top guitars because the layers are usually laminated cross grain, which makes them stable and quite strong. Though I can't help you identify the model, it has some resemblance to a 12-string bolt-on neck acoustic I once fixed for a friend. That guitar had an adjustable saddle too. Nice to have since it permits easy saddle height adjustment, but these are frowned upon by many guitar construction purists. My friend had stored the 12 tuned up to E concert pitch and the neck block had separated from the back. Easy to re-glue because the neck could be unscrewed and removed to permit access to the block where it had separated. I kept it tuned down a tone after fixing it, and it was actually a nice sounding guitar despite the theoretically tone-robbing plywood top, adjustable bridge, and bolt-on neck. The zero fret on your guitar is an unusual feature.

I'm not sure a piezo bridge pickup would work with this bridge, maybe a sound-hole pickup could be added with minimal modification. I'm not a big fan of piezos myself.
MikeyH is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2017, 09:25 AM   #6 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

Thanks for the help, from the other thread, I can say that I believe this is a 70's japanese epi, from the FT series. But i'll have to do a bit of digging to find out which exact one it is.

The patterns all look the same on the Ft series. (plus the zero fret)

But I believe most were, natural spruce laminated top.

I was looking at getting a blended piezo and Cmic preamp kit.

Its probably worth more than I paid so I can't really sell it after only just buying it from a friend so I'll probably have it as a project and try and convert it to electric.
Old March 16th, 2017, 11:50 AM   #7 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

Like Mikey said, an under saddle transducer probably wont work with that saddle. Ypu may want to get a soundhole pickup, stick-on soundboard mounted piezo or internal mic. I wouldn't put an expensive pickup in it as the guitar isn't really worth it. find a used Dean Markley soundhole unit or stick-on piezo and mount it internally thru an endpin jack.
Old March 16th, 2017, 11:57 AM   #8 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

I'm a bit of a noob to guitar modification, why is it you dont think it would work? is it because of the adjustables next to the saddle?

I was planning on finding out how long the pick up is to see if it would fit.

Price isnt really a problem, I found one for £40 that looks like it could do the job. + the guitar sounds really nice and I think its probably worth about £150.

Any help appreciated!
Old March 16th, 2017, 02:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

richardinlondon:
Quote:
I'm a bit of a noob to guitar modification, why is it you dont think it would work? is it because of the adjustables next to the saddle?
I'm really not an expert on under-saddle piezos. They became the industry standard for acoustics back in the '70's, I believe Ovation was the first to use them, and virtually all electric-acoustic producers began to use them subsequently. I've heard that they don't do well with bone saddles and so I suspect other unconventional bridge configurations might not work well with them either. I think they sound nasal and stringy anyway, probably because of their location right under the saddle and the fact that the real source of an acoustic's tone is the combined tone of the vibrating top and the strings. Piezos don't seem to "hear" much of the top, and to me the difference between a piezo pickup acoustic-electric's tone unplugged and amplified is night and day, the latter sounding absolutely vile to my ear. There are other pickup alternatives which would probably be better IMO.
MikeyH is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2017, 09:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

Under saddle transducers (UST) require the saddle to sit on top of them. The pressure of the strings keeps the saddle in constant contact with the UST. The adjustable saddle on your guitar creates a gap underneath it thus eliminating the contact between the saddle and UST. NO CONTACT = NO SOUND. I put an LR Baggs M1 soundhole pickup on my Martin but that's probably worth more than your guitar. I also have a Dimarzio Super Natural soundhole pickup that I bought used for $25 CAD. I use this on my old Ovation from time to time. It's a great sounding pickup.
I agree with Mikey in that piezos (UST or stick-ons) all have a bit of a "quacky" sound. I used to have a stick-on in the Ovation and found that it was also prone to feedback.
Like I said, I've been happy with the soundhole pups. I find them more natural sounding than a UST. That's my 2 cents.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk