Gibson & Epiphone Guitar Forum
Registered Member Login:
Not a member? Register today!

Welcome to the Gibson & Epiphone Guitar Forum.

You're going to love it here. We've got Gibson & Epiphone forums, member galleries, classified ads, and more for you here.
You can read posts as a guest but posting here requires registration. But, don't worry, registering is quick, easy and painless. Why not register today?

Notices

The Epi Center Everything Epiphone. Got a new or vintage Epiphone? Then this is the forum for you.

Old July 8th, 2018, 09:32 AM   #11 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

How dare you do whatever you want to your gear. Don’t you realize that this is not a free nation.....oh wait....!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimilee is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2018, 09:45 AM   #12 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

They are just guitars, and they are yours.
If you decide to sell, be sure and speak up to the buyer, but otherwise, no biggie.

I too, really disliked my huge Epi headstocks on a couple of Epiphone Les Paul Signature semi-hollows. I cut them and reshaped, but created my own shape.

When I posted about it in this forum, I did not get any applause for it, but again, no biggie.

Do what you will, nobody really cares.

...wisdom

I am coming, I am here--Wahi
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=909695
indianation65 is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2018, 11:35 AM   #13 (permalink)
Historic

" But installing that G-force immediately reduced any value back to Gibson's 2015 equivalent rates."
LOL, a hyperactive amygdala at work. First off, since they require no mounting screws, there will be no evidence they were ever there should the OP replace them with Klusons or Grovers. Second, and I know this will irritate some of you no end, I have had two Tronical type I tuners in use for well over 150 gigs and countless hours of jamming. I re-calibrate them once in a great while and recharge them every few weeks. They are still working flawlessly. Maybe I'm the outlier who actually read the owners manual.........
Old July 9th, 2018, 12:13 AM   #14 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg.lafave View Post
Attachment 3289Attachment 3290Attachment 3291Attachment 3292
Attachment 3294

For purely asthetic reasons I spent the past 2-3 months altering my Epi headstock into a Gibson lookalike. I've heard of this being done by others but don't have a sense of whether this is a no-no or not. I did it as a personal challenge to see if I could get it to the quality needed to satisfy me.

I will never represent this guitar as authentic nor will it ever be sold.

The project got conceived when I found a NOS veneer on eBay. The rest was chisels, a coping saw, a jewelers file set and a few cans of nitrocellulose lacquer.

Well, I think it turned out great. The only thing keeping it looking like a real Epiphone is the slightly straighter headstock angle of 14• vs the 17• angle on a Gibson.

So... am I banned from the forum or am I OK?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It’s your guitar. You can do with it what you wish. You did good work to see if you could do it but somehow didn’t question whether you should do it (stolen from “Jurassic Park”).
Punch stamping “Replica” as suggested by another poster to assure no future confusion (unless someday, or evening, you plan to go Townsend with it at the end of a performance) seems a good compromise assuage any of your doubts.
Bcorig is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2018, 12:17 AM   #15 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

As to whether you should be banned, I just joined yesterday so I’ve little currency to form an opinion.
“It’s no hanging matter. It’s no capital crime”

Last edited by Bcorig; July 9th, 2018 at 12:18 AM. Reason: Misspelled word
Old July 9th, 2018, 12:19 AM   #16 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianation65 View Post
They are just guitars, and they are yours.
If you decide to sell, be sure and speak up to the buyer, but otherwise, no biggie.

I too, really disliked my huge Epi headstocks on a couple of Epiphone Les Paul Signature semi-hollows. I cut them and reshaped, but created my own shape.

When I posted about it in this forum, I did not get any applause for it, but again, no biggie.

Do what you will, nobody really cares.

...wisdom
I can’t stop laughing
Old July 9th, 2018, 03:35 AM   #17 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

Hi and welcome to this place.

Personally, I disagree with what you have done. To me it's an infringement of copyright.

I tend to agree with Bugo. Why?

http://www.thepiecesofmind.com/
johnreardon is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2018, 10:04 AM   #18 (permalink)
Historic

" To me it's an infringement of copyright."
Trademark infringement, maybe, but since the two trademarks are owned by the same parent company that might even be a wobbler. What it is is counterfeiting, not legal and to my mind not a good idea. Lots of thieves wouldn't bother stealing an Epi just to get a couple of bucks, but they see that Gibson and bye-bye baby. Just saying.
Old July 9th, 2018, 12:32 PM   #19 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

I did this to a *** squire turned it into a Clapton strat for my son ,and got slated for it. it looks good long as you don't start knocking them off on ebay every week lol,
Old July 9th, 2018, 05:26 PM   #20 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

I got out one of my guitars that I haven't played for awhile, and remembered that I have done a similar change on a Fender Strat. Many years ago, on another forum, there was a long running discussion on whether Fender had a Custom Shop in Japan. I don't think they ever did, but just for a laugh I got a decal off Ebay and put in one one of my MIJ Strats. I even put a couple of thin coats of clear over it to make it look a bit more "authentic." It was never intended to be any more than a joke, and was never taken as more than that. In a way it was already a counterfeit guitar, since it is one of Fender's Foto Flame series. I'm never gonna sell it and when I do pass on I will probably remove the decal from the back of the headstock. No harm, no foul.
Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.
SAguitar is offline Offline   Reply With Quote