Gibson & Epiphone Guitar Forum
Registered Member Login:
Not a member? Register today!

Welcome to the Gibson & Epiphone Guitar Forum.

You're going to love it here. We've got Gibson & Epiphone forums, member galleries, classified ads, and more for you here.
You can read posts as a guest but posting here requires registration. But, don't worry, registering is quick, easy and painless. Why not register today?

Notices

The Epi Center Everything Epiphone. Got a new or vintage Epiphone? Then this is the forum for you.

Old September 3rd, 2017, 04:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

Dimarzio pickups- split or not?

I have an Epiphone Les Paul standard goldtop and a super distortion is going in the bridge and a PAF pro in the neck.

Do I just leave the wiring standard (apart from going 50s style) or do I add the following:

Pull up neck volume- both pickups split to inner coils
Pull up bridge volume - both pickups split to outer coil
Pull up both volumes- bridge coils in parallel, neck coils in parallel

Are the split and parallel tones decent enough to warrant the effort?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vinnie1971 is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2017, 06:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

Split coil, parallel and series all sound quite different. If you know what you are doing (wiring-wise), it is definitely worth the effort. I think Stan has played around with pickups more than I have and he can give you a better understanding as to what you can expect.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
Infant is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2017, 07:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

Yeah, I've been playing with pickups and wiring configurations for many years. There are many ways to go, and some of them are worth the trouble! Working on Les Pauls is nice because you have that convenient access panel on the backside. Doing these mods on 335-style guitars is for the madmen!

With two humbuckers the difference between splitting to get the inner or outer coils will be a pretty subtle difference. Personally, I would go with setting up only the neck pickup to split, since I have one that will split either pickup and the one I use most in a live setting is to only split the neck pickup, and I leave the bridge pickup as a humbucker.

Or if you really wanna go crazy, here is a link to the famous Jimmy Page wiring scheme (Humbuckers of the Holy) that gives you a huge range of tones, and looks from the outside like a standard Les Paul setup. You'll need four push/pull pots, and a good deal of time and patience to complete it. This is the one I have installed in Lester, my Number 1 LP.

When you leave all the pots in the down position, you can play it like a normal Les Paul, or you can pull up any of the pots to get access to splitting either pickup, putting them in parallel or series mode, or putting them out-of-phase for Peter Green tones. If you're comfortable with soldering, it's a worthy endeavor.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/tonefie...Pagewiring.pdf
Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.
SAguitar is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2017, 04:39 AM   #4 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

Thanks guys, I know how to do it but just feeling lazy! I should have been more clear with the question - do these pickups sound good split? I hate wiring up a guitar with high expectations and the results are mediocre or less.

I have done lots of guitars and some sound great others less so with coil splits and series parallel. So I wondered if anyone can vouch that super distortion and PAF pro sound good split or in parallel. I have even done coil splits and out of phase on pickups with a vintage single conductor and outer braid as ground... coil split was easy I just added a a wire to the jumpers between the pickup coils and out of phase more tricky as I had to insulate the outer braid and leave the end exposed to solder the braid to a push pull then the hook up wire to the other side. Very fiddly- but the coils splits were disappointing so I took them out.

Here's the wiring I have planned (obviously tray rail and single coil as north and south ...

I particularly like this because you can select inner or outer coil split for strat or Tele like in between tones and pull them both up and both humbuckers have their coils operating in parallel. More fiddly than regular coil splitting but if these pickups split well it's going to be worth it.

I might even add out of phase if I go ahead with a large capacitor in series with the reversed ground to output ...

Old September 4th, 2017, 08:12 AM   #5 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

I am preemptively assuming that dimarzio super distortion and PAF pro sound good split, so I have prepared a couple of push pulls as above.

But I have done it slightly differently so the volumes are push pulls.

My reason for wanting inner and outer coil splits are that when both pickups are selected, the inner coils sound like the cluck of a strat whereas the outer coils give that twangy Tele spank ( or they did in a fat strat I wired that way... )

I am going 50s wiring with linear volume and audio tones. I know this is against popular opinions but my Epiphone Les Paul and my 1970s El Maya are both wired this way from the factory and I think the roll off for both volume and tone are smoother and more progressive this way with no sudden swell when increasing or dropping off a cliff when decreasing.

If I go with out of phase I'll put the phase reversal push pull on the neck tone.

Can't wait for the pickups to arrive now and complete the install

Old September 4th, 2017, 08:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

Well, I can't tell you how those particular pickups sound when you split their coils! I have owned a few Super Distortion pups, but never did any wiring tricks with those. And I have never owned the other one you mentioned.

Sounds like you know what you're doing, so have fun with it!
Old September 5th, 2017, 06:49 AM   #7 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAguitar View Post
Well, I can't tell you how those particular pickups sound when you split their coils! I have owned a few Super Distortion pups, but never did any wiring tricks with those. And I have never owned the other one you mentioned.

Sounds like you know what you're doing, so have fun with it!

This will be my first foray into dimarzio pickups. But I do already have 1970s Japanese guitar with Maxon clones of dimarzio super 2. They did not say HBs good split as they are already very bright.

I decided that Classic combo of a super distortion and PAF would sound good, but the PAF pro has hex poles to match the SD and supposedly more mids which is what I am after.

I'll post a review when I'm done

Old September 6th, 2017, 06:32 AM   #8 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

Well I decided that due to the stubborn solder on the back of the Epiphone pots, I'd just drop them in and go 50s wiring for now.

They sound fantastic- it now sounds like a Les Paul should - even the cleans are great!

I may put a harness together in the future and just drop that in but swapping out a couple of pots with stubborn solder seemed like the hard way round than just making a new harness.

I don't like the black PAF pro poles. Naughty GAK not showing the right picture. I guess they are just regular fillisters but with a Hex pole as opposed to the hex threaded poles of the super distortion.

Old September 13th, 2017, 06:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

Update - I wired in inner and outer coils splits and out of phase using the bridge volume push pull to set both pickups to outer coil splits, the neck volume push pull sets both pickups to inner coil splits. When both are pulled, the humbuckers are in parallel with themselves. The neck tone when pulled reverses polarity of the neck pickup.

What an awesome guitar. Here's how it's wired. Not my tidiest job, but push pulls are fiddly. I used single core wire to wire up the push pulls as stranded wire always makes s mess trying to get 2 wired through the tube push pull eyes. The out of phase uses a 0.2uF cap and 1k resistor so it's not too extreme and keeps a bit of bass.

The capacitors are 0.015uF old stock Russian PIO.

Old September 13th, 2017, 08:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

Well done, Vinnie! I'm not the neatest solderer either, but if you can get 'em working, it's good enough. Play on!