Gibson & Epiphone Guitar Forum
Registered Member Login:
Not a member? Register today!

Welcome to the Gibson & Epiphone Guitar Forum.

You're going to love it here. We've got Gibson & Epiphone forums, member galleries, classified ads, and more for you here.
You can read posts as a guest but posting here requires registration. But, don't worry, registering is quick, easy and painless. Why not register today?

Notices

The Epi Center Everything Epiphone. Got a new or vintage Epiphone? Then this is the forum for you.

Old September 8th, 2017, 02:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

ES-335 Pro owners: how are you liking your guitar

Hi -

I just registered, first post.

I don't really like taking my nearly 60-year-old ES-125TDC on stage any more, she's a bit delicate. I've been looking for an inexpensive replacement, and landed on the ES-335 Pro.

I realize its a completely different guitar; semi vs full hollow, humbuckers vs P90. But I've always wanted an ES, ever since my brother brought home a '62 Gibson 335 in 1964. My 6-year old eyes got very large when I saw it.

The Pro looks like a good deal on paper; I like the looks better than, say, the Dot, the hardware and electronics seem good enough so that it won't be necessary to immediately replace them with something better (although Bourns sealed pots will end up in there as soon as the stock pots start scratching). The ice tea finish is very appealing, and of course the red (as an old Chuck Berry fan).

These are not available in Europe, however, a few online dealers will be getting some in October. So I'll have to order blind, something I don't like doing.

Those of you who have these - how do you like them? Weaknesses? Strengths? Have you swapped any hardware? How's the workmanship?

thanks in advance.

Steven

stevo58 is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2017, 07:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Humbucker

Not sure!

Now I don't want to dampen enthusiasm and can only offer a personal experience. About a 18 months ago I bought one for my brother as an upgrade for his Dot - at that time there were a few in the UK. We ordered the natural finish one.
It arrived looking very bland - because they use a completely clear lacquer these days with no colour, actually looking a bit cheap. - but that's just an appearance thing. It was well enough made but seemed less robust than the dot.

But, sadly it really didn't sound very good at all! Can't explain it but it just wouldn't sustain, seemed underpowered and was well - "dead!" in spite of adjusting everything we could and changing strings etc. Now maybe this was just a one off, a fluke but it really is a good idea to try and play a guitar if you can before buying; they do differ and online is always a risk.

Sold within a month, the upgrade - and current regular player - sorry not Epi but Chinese Tokai 335.
MickeyB is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2017, 09:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

I have played a couple of these in a store here in the States, and they seemed to be pretty fair guitars, easily worthy of stage work. I wouldn't put them on the same level as my Gibson ES-335, but pretty good instruments.
Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.
SAguitar is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2017, 06:06 AM   #4 (permalink)
Humbucker

I briefly tried one at GC a couple of years back, and simply couldn't bond with the D neck carve. If you don't mind a rather pronounced shoulder, you should be fine.

Srini
Srini is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2017, 10:27 AM   #5 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

Well, thanks for the replies; I'm probably going to go with a Gibson 335 Studio after all; twice as expensive as the Epi (taking into account new pups, pots, switch ... on the Epi) but I think it will just make me happier; the ones I've played have been stellar. And I like the wine red with black binding.

steven
stevo58 is offline Offline   Reply With Quote