Gibson & Epiphone Guitar Forum
Registered Member Login:
Not a member? Register today!

Welcome to the Gibson & Epiphone Guitar Forum.

You're going to love it here. We've got Gibson & Epiphone forums, member galleries, classified ads, and more for you here.
You can read posts as a guest but posting here requires registration. But, don't worry, registering is quick, easy and painless. Why not register today?

Notices

The Epi Center Everything Epiphone. Got a new or vintage Epiphone? Then this is the forum for you.

Old March 4th, 2018, 07:39 PM   #21 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffytune View Post
And I think even with the serial number, that is about as far as you would get. Gibson didn't keep records on these serial numbers, and it was up to the manufacture to put one on it, and they were not sequential.
Gibson was using them as a entry level guitar, and had them built by a session of different manufacture.
Even today, Epi's are made in Japan, China, Korea, Indonesia and I am sure I missed a couple. The serial numbers on the newer units are being cataloged better so you can find the year, day and the plant it was made in, but in the early 70's, not so much.

Lastly, if you still have the blue label in the "F" hole, and it looks like this one, that is the serial number.
That's exactly what the label looks like except without the name "Riviera". It's got the EA-250. That's the model name though, isn't it?

Tom3 is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2018, 10:38 AM   #22 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

Well, I listed this on craigslist, and ebay. The ebay auction just ended with no bids, and seven watchers. I had a starting bid of $300.....On CL I listed it for a lot more ($560) figuring on much lower offers. All I got was a scammer wanted to send me a check because he's "out of the country".

I can't say I'm broken hearted. I guess I really want to keep it anyway, and was just doing it for the cash. But now I'm feeling some love for this gee-tar. And I'm inspired to leave the red finish on it after some of you making that suggestion. It's also been sitting in storage for years, and only now have I taken it out and started researching it seriously.

How I got this thing is a funny story. I was working as a school photographer years ago and the lady I was working with that day mentioned that she had a guitar in her garage. It was left there by a relative years ago and he didn't want it. We were near her house and she asked if I wanted to see it, and would I want it. Naturally I wondered if it was going to be a cheap beginner guitar, or a late 50's Les Paul. It was neither, but it was this Epiphone and that didn't suck. It was under the workbench in the garage on top of scrap wood - not even in a case....So I happily took it and thanked her very much.

So here we are. I think I'll clean it up and restring it. Now that I've seen photos of what that tailpiece should look like maybe I can get it back to what it should be.

I found this forum by simply searching Epiphone. You guys have been helpful, and informative. Even after you decided I was "one and done"

I'll be around.
Old March 5th, 2018, 12:41 PM   #23 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

We apologize for the "one and done" comment as we see a lot of them come thru here usually, like you, asking what they can get for a certain guitar if they sold it. They post, we try to help but we never hear from them again.

We are a small group here and it's not a very busy forum so whenever we get some new members we'd love to have them stick around. We are a very civil group and try to be helpful. We like to help everyone whenever we can but we also would like to hear back to know if they found out any more info. It's how we all learn.

So again, welcome to the forum and stick around! ...we don't bite!
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
Infant is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2018, 01:42 PM   #24 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

Well I appreciate the thoughts Rob, but an apology isn't necessary. I understand where the assumption came from that I was just flying through the place.
Being a small and civil group makes it very appealing to me.
Old March 5th, 2018, 01:57 PM   #25 (permalink)
Humbucker

I'm glad you're sticking around. While you can find those tailpieces (usually parts) once in awhile, a common "fix" is a trapeze tailpiece.
Old March 8th, 2018, 07:06 PM   #26 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biddlin View Post
I'm glad you're sticking around. While you can find those tailpieces (usually parts) once in awhile, a common "fix" is a trapeze tailpiece.
Thanks for the tip.
Old March 29th, 2018, 06:32 PM   #27 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

I have the bass version of your guitar a es-260 I bought new in 76 or 77 and still have it all original except the pick guard cracked in the early eighties and I removed the nickel cover off the bridge pickup because I read an article in Guitar Player Magazine in the 80’s said it would help “cut through the mix”

But in my opinion the tailpiece looks more like the one on my 1967 Univox Coily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MitchMiami is offline Offline   Reply With Quote