Gibson & Epiphone Guitar Forum
Registered Member Login:
Not a member? Register today!

Welcome to the Gibson & Epiphone Guitar Forum.

You're going to love it here. We've got Gibson & Epiphone forums, member galleries, classified ads, and more for you here.
You can read posts as a guest but posting here requires registration. But, don't worry, registering is quick, easy and painless. Why not register today?

Notices

The Epi Center Everything Epiphone. Got a new or vintage Epiphone? Then this is the forum for you.

Old May 8th, 2018, 07:06 AM   #1 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

Zenith & Olympic Arch Top Electrics Prob's

Both my Master built Zenith and Olympic Arch Tops have problems with the Electrics cutting out. Move the jack around and 'sometimes' the signal comes back? Has anyone else had a problem with either the jack, pre amp or the actual pickup? It's happening on both guitars.

AliRae is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2018, 11:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

Hello and welcome to Gibson Talk. Before we start looking at the guitars, have you tried a couple of different cables...just direct guitar to amp? It's strange that it would happen to both guitars at the same time and that's why I'm thinking that it has to be something that's shared between both.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
Infant is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2018, 01:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

Thanks, tried 4 different cables, it's the same with them all. I had been using a Mike with these guitars, but a rather noisy gig called for PU & Mike. That's when I found the problem. First with the Olympic. The Zenith seemed to be OK then it started cutting out as well! I changed the Batteries, changed the cables, made sure the Battery was contacting the springs in the pre amp ok? When it does cut out moving the jack back and forward in an 'unhealthy' way often brings the signal back? Am I the only person this has happened to?
Old May 9th, 2018, 04:35 AM   #4 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

Looks like a P/U problem, the under saddle is sitting at a strange angle, and the bridge adjustment wheel on the treble side actually cuts into the cable running from the under saddle, it's a really poor design. Looks like a replacement P/U for both guitars?
Old May 9th, 2018, 06:04 AM   #5 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

How old are the guitars? Are they still under any warranty?? I'm baffled as to how moving the jack/plug around can make it work if the problem is 6 inches away in the pickup itself. Have you tried spraying De-oxit into the jack? If you don't use the jacks they can oxidize. I didn't notice where you live. Are you near the sea? Do you keep the guitars in their cases?
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
Infant is offline Offline   Reply With Quote