Gibson & Epiphone Guitar Forum
Registered Member Login:
Not a member? Register today!

Welcome to the Gibson & Epiphone Guitar Forum.

You're going to love it here. We've got Gibson & Epiphone forums, member galleries, classified ads, and more for you here.
You can read posts as a guest but posting here requires registration. But, don't worry, registering is quick, easy and painless. Why not register today?

Notices

The Epi Center Everything Epiphone. Got a new or vintage Epiphone? Then this is the forum for you.

Old June 3rd, 2018, 02:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

Tribute plus fretboard material??

So I got a Epiphone Les Paul tribute plus recently (my second one) this one the fretboard does not look like rosewood. It looks too light colored and the grain just doesnít look like rosewood. So I decided to ask epiphone and they werenít much help. They just said itís rosewood as the description states. But it doesnít look that way to me. My other tribute is definitely rosewood. This one is not in my opinion.

Iíve also got a epiphone SG G-400 pro and that fretboard is black but doesnít look quite like ebony. So Iím wondering what woods these are just out of curiousity. Especially the tribute model as I would like to try and darken that wood a little bit. Any help would be awesome. Maybe some ways to help identify what woods these are, tho I know it may be hard! Thanks!

PS first post here so hopefully Iíve done things by the books!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	41572534-7552-4AA1-99E8-AF9A3D458798.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	3520  

Name:	76A30047-8496-4D3C-8A40-660E8AB5CFFB.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	3521  

ALLsteven is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2018, 03:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

I don't know....looks like rosewood to me. The material under the nut is unfinished mahogany and that's why it is so light..

You have to realize that unless it is stained to match a certain colour, no two pieces of wood will be the same in colour or grain. I have an old Ovation acoustic and a Gibson ES 137, both with ebony fingerboards. The Ovation is black with no real visible grain where the Gibson almost looks like a very dark brown non-porous rosewood.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
Infant is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2018, 03:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

Yeah the picture of the SG I removed the nut so I could see if the grain went All the way thru. I wasnít sure if it was even real wood at first. Idk itís just weird looking. Both guitars I have pictured in my post just donít look or feel like my other rosewood fretboard guitars. They both feel very dense tho and you canít feel any pores or anything. So they do feel nice to play on. They just didnít quite look like rosewood that Iím use to. This is my other tribute which definitely seems like rosewood.

But anyways, they could be some other species of rosewood they started using due to the cities regulations maybe. I was just curious what some other people thought! Just wish the one was a bit darker. But the way that fretboard feels Iím not sure how well it will accept some dye or stain
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0B401BD5-0CD3-44F6-9EA4-996E3F5570BB.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	3522  

Old June 3rd, 2018, 08:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

Well the one without the nut actually does look like it could be an ebony fretboard. Grain looks similar to my ES137.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
Infant is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2018, 04:18 AM   #5 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

Hi, I agree with Rob, it looks like Rosewood to me as well, just a bit lighter.

Personally I don't care what wood my guitar necks are made, as long as they play and sound good in my hands.

I can understand manufactures having to try out different materials due to the impositions passed on by the likes of CITES

http://www.thepiecesofmind.com/
johnreardon is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2018, 05:11 AM   #6 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

Yeah thatís what I was originally thinking it was, something new due to cities. But the one may just be ďcheaperĒ ebony and the other just lighter rosewood that got polished up more. Cause that was the biggest thing I noticed, that lighter board is super smooth. It was so smooth at first I thought is this a fake fretboard veneer on a $800 guitar?!? Lol so maybe thatís what threw me off a bit.

Anyways I was just curious cause I would like to stain that one board a touch darker and wasnít sure how different boards take staining. That guitar is darker blue on the body and I think the lighter fretboard just doesnít quite fit. Still looks great but think it would look even better if it was just a bit darker.

Hereís a picture of the whole guitar compared to my other tribute with the much darker rosewood board.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0D16D249-0E03-45AB-9DD4-E6A2E3DF0E03.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	3533  

Name:	0C24F0DF-6C57-4D10-A560-3D35273CC604.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	3534  

Old June 4th, 2018, 06:20 AM   #7 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

I have a gold top les Paul tribute T, the rosewood neck is extremely light colored, even after oiling, itís just one of those things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jimilee is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2018, 10:15 AM   #8 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

Yeah looks like Iíll be living with it, it plays and sounds great so no big deal! Just wanted some other peopleís opinions. Now if I could trade these nickel covered Gibson 57 classics for some zebra 57 classics it would be perfect. Love the look of some zebra pickups in a les Paul.

Thanks everyone for the advice!