Gibson & Epiphone Guitar Forum
Registered Member Login:
Not a member? Register today!

Welcome to the Gibson & Epiphone Guitar Forum.

You're going to love it here. We've got Gibson & Epiphone forums, member galleries, classified ads, and more for you here.
You can read posts as a guest but posting here requires registration. But, don't worry, registering is quick, easy and painless. Why not register today?

Notices

The Epi Center Everything Epiphone. Got a new or vintage Epiphone? Then this is the forum for you.

Old October 4th, 2018, 03:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

NGD: Dot

As it says in the title, bought an Epi. Dot yesterday, in cherry.
Traded a much loved, but rarely used '95 Burns Marquee in for it. First 335, so not ready to commit big money and first time I've ever actually traded a guitar in.
As is 'my way' when I buy guitars, I did my research, went into the store and tried it without plugging in. Unless it's some oddball instrument, you know what it'll sound like, stores don't have my amp set up anyway and if the electrics don't work, I know my way 'round a soldering iron - when you've rewired the engine loom on a Celica GT4, guitars are child's play.
At this point, I haven'y heard it plugged in yet, but I've sorted the set up out and can report that it feels and plays magnificent.
Will post a picture later and report on how it sounds.

somebodyelseuk is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2018, 08:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

congrats on the new axe, seuk...when you get squared away, you gotta "baptize" it with some Chuck Berry or B.B.King! A new guitar every once
in a while keeps a man feeling like a kid....
Old Tom is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2018, 08:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
Historic

Congrats. I love my Dot Deluxe.
Old October 4th, 2018, 11:46 AM   #4 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

Congrats! Love to see pics.

I used to have a Dot Royale...awesome guitar after I had it set up. However, I sold it to a friend to make room for an ES137. He still has it and I get to play it from time to time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	epiphone dot royale.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	3589  

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
Infant is online now Online   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2018, 06:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

Congratulations! Semi-hollow bodies are a world unto themselves with their own special features.
Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.
SAguitar is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2018, 08:24 AM   #6 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

Okidoki...
I was expecting to be saying it sounded 'meh', but five minutes with a screwdriver improved matters and you can't expect a £300 semi to have pickups capable of riivaling old PAFs.
Instead, I'm saying it sounded 'meh' - not bad, not great, room for improvement, which I'm confident 5 minutes with a screw driver WOULD have improved.
They were the usual 'muddy', dropping them a couple of mm reduced the mud, and as I was raising the poles... two 'em disappeared into the pickup!
So all I can say about the pickups is they sound okayish, but from a build quality POV, they're garbage.
Ah well, I'm not taking it back. The guitar itself is lively, so I don't want to take the chance on getting one that may not be as good. I would probably have been pulling the brass covers off and replacing what sounds like alnico 5 magnets for 2s anyway.
So, now I've got to mull over some new pickups... do I go semi-budget ('scuse the pun) or go for a name?
Apology for the absence of a picture, been a bit busy.
Old October 5th, 2018, 10:57 AM   #7 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

That ain't no hill for a stepper like you, amigo.With your electronic skills, if you like
everything else about it, you can transform it from being "a guitar" to being"your guitar".All I know about pups is-they work or they don't....good luck
Old Tom is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2018, 11:40 AM   #8 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

I can probably just replace the screws and the keeper bar, to be honest. I'm not one to rush a decision, so I'll weigh it up over the weekend. Pickup replacement may be a few weeks away, but a fix could be done in the time it takes the parts to arrive.
Old October 5th, 2018, 07:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

I have a good size box full of pickups that I have swapped around between all my guitars, and it is an ongoing process. Most of my gits have pretty much found their match at this point, but occasionally I get a wild hair to do it all again.
Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.
SAguitar is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2018, 06:11 AM   #10 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

UPDATE:
Well, this morning, got the screwdriver out. Having pondered the issue, and having done some 'research' it occurred to me that the screws are probably threaded into the bobbins and not the keeper bar or baseplate, and that it's probably stripped, thanks to the "diouble vacuum potting" gripping the bottom of the screws. Anyways, flipped the pickup over and found that it was all still tight enough that with some pressure to the bottom of the screw, I could unwind the screws to where I want them.
So, for the time being, the pickups get a reprieve.