Gibson & Epiphone Guitar Forum
Registered Member Login:
Not a member? Register today!

Welcome to the Gibson & Epiphone Guitar Forum.

You're going to love it here. We've got Gibson & Epiphone forums, member galleries, classified ads, and more for you here.
You can read posts as a guest but posting here requires registration. But, don't worry, registering is quick, easy and painless. Why not register today?

Notices

ES-sential Hollowbodies Nothing Hollow about the discussions going on in here.

Old November 7th, 2006, 09:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

Send a message via AIM to dsharman Send a message via Yahoo to dsharman
Considering an ES-335 CRR

I found a mint or near mint condition ES-335 CRR. The asking price is $2,500 but I believe that there is plenty of negotiation room. The guitar curently has flatwounds (probably 0.12) and plays beautifully. I only had the chance to play it clean and at a relatively low volume. Much more of a test drive is needed. I have always wanted an ES-335 and love the classic 335 sound. My concern is that the CRR is a bit of a different beast since it has the dirty finger PUs as well as a few other differences. I play a wide range of music including various jazz styles, blues, R&B, and classic rock. My gut tells me I should wait and get a more classic 335. I have read the posts here regarding the CRR and would like to get some further feedback on your thoughts regarding this model. Thanks.

dsharman is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2006, 05:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

Howdy,

DSHarmon, the only drawback to this guitar in stock form is the p/u's. I've changed out the pickguard (from white to the more traditional black) and other things to make mine look basically like a current ES-335, but with block inlays and a Brass nut and coil-splitter switch.
Those Dirty Fingers are, essentially "Heavy Metal" p/u's, and not really suited to a 335. Mine plays like butter, but weighs in at 9lbs. If you like the ES-335, this is as good as any.
BTW, Seymour Duncan '59's really did the trick for my ES-335CRR.

Eggman

PS: That TP-6 tailpiece isn't to my taste; I retro-fitted a standard stop tailpiece. Norlin tampered too much with a good thing with the ES-335CRR, but it's all easy to remedy.
eggman is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2006, 10:46 AM   #3 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

Eggman,

Thanks for the feedback. I'll give it a full test drive and will probably end up swithing out the PUs if I go ahead with it.

Thanks,

Dave
Old January 13th, 2007, 02:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

Just to wrap up this story. I bought the guitar just after Christmas. I gigged with her New Year's Eve and once since then. It plays great. The pickups are very hot and I'm considering swapping them out, but we'll see. I'll try to post some pictures, hopefully it works.

Name:  ES3350004a.JPG
Views: 2434
Size:  27.5 KB Click image for larger version

Name:	ES3350005.JPG
Views:	1020
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	12 Click image for larger version

Name:	ES3350006.JPG
Views:	404
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	13

Click image for larger version

Name:	ES3350007.JPG
Views:	410
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	14 Name:  ES3350008.JPG
Views: 2273
Size:  30.0 KB

Eggman, Thanks for your help.

Dave

Last edited by dsharman; January 13th, 2007 at 06:49 PM.
Old May 31st, 2007, 09:18 AM   #5 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

Hey, cool!!! That brings back memories of my first Gibson. Congrats!
spitball is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2007, 10:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

addition

Howdy,

DSHarmon, sorry for waiting so long. That's a keeper! Mine had covered p/u's (Hmm..) and a smaller faded golden center for it's burst finish. Yours is lovely and has more flame than mine. Congrats!
How does she sound now that you've had 6 mos+ to play her? Have you made any changes?

Eggman

PS: Have you noticed that the neck is a 3-piece Maple instead of one-piece Mahogany? Interesting. Who knows? The CRR may become a sleeper on the vintage market.
Old June 5th, 2007, 07:51 AM   #7 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

Hi Eggman,

You were a big help while I was researching the guitar. Thanks.

I really enjoy playing this guitar. The feel of the guitar is just right for me. The range of tones is outstanding. I have pretty much been a neck pu player on my Les Paul. On the CRR with the volume open the neck pu can be a bit bassy at the low end, but some minor amp adjustments can take care of that. It has performed very well with every amp I've tried. I have used it mostly for Jazz, Blues, and Classic Rock. I am still on the fence about changing out the pickups. So far I have been able to get very good tones with minor tweaking for the styles I mentioned, but going to the classic 335 pickups is tempting.

I hadn't noticed the neck until you pointed it out. Yup, 3 piece. I agree that it may become a sleeper.

Mesa Nomad 100, Fender Princeton Reverb (mid 60's black face), Lab Series L5, Ampeg VT22, Polytone Mini-Brute IV
Old January 20th, 2008, 12:40 AM   #8 (permalink)
Banned
Gibson Talker

Send a message via ICQ to sangandongo Send a message via AIM to sangandongo Send a message via MSN to sangandongo Send a message via Yahoo to sangandongo Send a message via Skype™ to sangandongo
Hey Dave,

Been reading through this because I just recently bought a CRR myself. My friend has one as well. Being that there are only 300 of these, the three of us represent 1% of the total ever made.

I guess my point is that you should not change those pickups out. This guitar is rare as rare can be, and keeping its integrity would be wise. Still, if you did change the pickups, it makes mine that much more valuable...

I have seen a total of 5 CRRs and 2 CRS models (Country Rock Stereo. 3 knobs, covered pickups, stereo output.) ... 2 of the CRR models were changed, one of the all originals was in medium condition, and the two my friend and I have are in mint condition.

Yours looks pretty much perfect. I hope it stays that way. Don't lose those pickups if you do end up changing it out. You'll regret it later. This guitar is a sleeper and they're only getting rarer.

--
j.
sangandongo is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2008, 01:49 AM   #9 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

Howdy,

Sangandongo: Congrats on the new ES-335CRR I've not made any permanant changes to my ES-335CRR! You are correct about the possibility of the value going up on these "sleepers". I've got the original P/Us here in the closet-where they belong.
I hope your 335 plays like butter, too. The only shortcoming for mine is the weight: 9 lbs.
I've always been more of a Rickenbacker man for semi-hollow guitars, but my 335 has grown on me in recent years, especially with the SD 59 replacement P/Us.

Eggman
Old January 20th, 2008, 10:27 AM   #10 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

I love Coffee!!

So yeah I have had my 1979 335 CRR for a while now (her name is Coffee) and I must say it is the only guitar I have that every single one of my friends, from rock and rollers to hardcore punk guys pick up and immediately fall in love with! As a matter of fact Sangandongo above would not stop trying to buy mine, until I found him another!!

I think the misconception with this guitar is its intended purpose. I think of it as an evolution to the standard 335 sound. I can coax jazz tones from it, clean strumming tones, country twangy tones, and it is great for rock and roll. It is NOT a guitar for heavy metal!! The thing about the CRR is that if a player has good control of dynamics, knows how to use the volume and tone controls, there is not one sound you cannot get from it period!!
macg1 is offline Offline   Reply With Quote