Gibson & Epiphone Guitar Forum
Registered Member Login:
Not a member? Register today!

Welcome to the Gibson & Epiphone Guitar Forum.

You're going to love it here. We've got Gibson & Epiphone forums, member galleries, classified ads, and more for you here.
You can read posts as a guest but posting here requires registration. But, don't worry, registering is quick, easy and painless. Why not register today?

Notices

ES-sential Hollowbodies Nothing Hollow about the discussions going on in here.

Old September 7th, 2007, 01:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

Memphis tone circuit?

The hype about the new ES-339 talks about the new Memphis Tone Circuit. Anyone know what it is & maybe know where I can find a diagram?

eryque is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2007, 02:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

Reading about the new 339, here is what I read: "Memphis tone circuit preserves the guitar's high frequencies no matter where you adjust the volume contol". Hope that helps.

Jim D
desaljs is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2007, 11:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

Also seeking schematic.
Thanks.
<R>
Regats is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2007, 11:38 AM   #4 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

Howdy,

The Memphis tone circuit sounds like a good deal to me. I believe it's a 500K tone pot.

Eggman
eggman is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2007, 10:30 AM   #5 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

Send a message via MSN to BlackLineFish
I'm thinking it's a 500k VOL pot, with a treble-bleed.

Check out this description from Acme Guitar Works:

Quote:
This kit consists of a capacitor and a resistor, which are wired in parallel across two of the lugs on the volume pot in order to prevent treble loss as the volume control is rolled down. The values are 680pF/220K (single coils) and 1000pF/220K (humbuckers). There is nothing special about these components, you can buy them from Radio Shack for 50 cents or less (we're guessing). We charge $2.60 because of the time it takes to order them, receive them into inventory, twist the leads together and cut to length, print labels, print/cut/fold instruction diagrams, and package the resulting kits/diagrams into little zip lock bags and label them. So you're not paying for the parts here, you're paying for the time it takes us to package them and the convenience of not having to track down the parts yourself.

We're telling you this so you don't think we're trying to rip you off. With the cost of gas being what it is (not to mention the value of your time), it's surely cheaper to purchase one of these from us and save your time and gas. On the other hand, if you want a dozen of them, it might be worth your while to stop by Radio Shack or similar and buy the components there, you'll definitely save a few bucks.
That's the kind of truth-in-advertising that is so rare in today's world for your average tone-hound. They get props from me for that.

--gh
BlackLineFish is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2007, 08:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

Looking inside my brand new ES 339 with the Memphis Tone circuit, I see on both volume pots, one small cap that is about the size of a baby aspirin and is dull orange in color. Just an FYI for all concerned.
Regards; Pop's
workknot is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2007, 12:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

Some players do not like what the resistor does for the treble bypass circuit. that cap that workknot has seen is probably a .001mfd(1000pfd) ceramic disc capacitor.
Wally is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2007, 11:46 AM   #8 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

Here is a link to the Gibson site that has most wiring schematics. I did not see the Memphis tone circuit for the ES 339.
http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Support/...ng%20Diagrams/
Regards; Pop's
Old May 6th, 2008, 12:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

Workknot, where is this cap located? Is it across two lugs of the volume pot or is it connected to the tone pot? Also, if it is a tone cap rather than the treble bypass cap across the volume pot lugs, can you tell us where it is located...what lug on the tone pot? Does it contact wither the lead in or lead out of the volume pot?
Wally is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 08:39 AM   #10 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

Hi there, new to the forum saw this and thought I would join in

I have a Duesenberg as well as a Gibson Les Paul and the Doozy has this circuitry in it as standard. I looked at the volume pot and it was just a ceramic disc cap not sure of the details of it sorry. I believe the cap goes in between the 'un-soldered' left lug and middle lug.
Is there much difference between the resistor and cap in parallel to the cap on its own?

I think I am going to change the guts in the Les Paul as I really like the sound of the Duesenberg when rolled off and I use the volume on the guitar all the time, unlike a lot of people I see playing now lol
Jimi-B is offline Offline   Reply With Quote