Gibson & Epiphone Guitar Forum
Registered Member Login:
Not a member? Register today!

Welcome to the Gibson & Epiphone Guitar Forum.

You're going to love it here. We've got Gibson & Epiphone forums, member galleries, classified ads, and more for you here.
You can read posts as a guest but posting here requires registration. But, don't worry, registering is quick, easy and painless. Why not register today?

Notices

ES-sential Hollowbodies Nothing Hollow about the discussions going on in here.

Old November 26th, 2015, 11:16 AM   #41 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

You're right. I set mine at .005", and it's seriously flat. Haven't set the bridge yet, so I'll try that and see how it comes out.

Just noticed, in the original post he said in setting the action to fret the low E at the 1st fret and measure at the 15th, it should be 5/64". WHAAAT??? Geez, is that a Dobro or something? I must be misunderstanding the post..........

davily is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2015, 01:14 PM   #42 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

Quote:
Originally Posted by davily View Post
You're right. I set mine at .005", and it's seriously flat. Haven't set the bridge yet, so I'll try that and see how it comes out.

Just noticed, in the original post he said in setting the action to fret the low E at the 1st fret and measure at the 15th, it should be 5/64". WHAAAT??? Geez, is that a Dobro or something? I must be misunderstanding the post..........
That's 0.078" at the 15th fret for the low E and 0.047" for the high "E"...man, I consider that to be really good action if that's how they come from the factory! Especially with 9s or 10s. With 11s, you may be able to get lower still.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
Infant is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2015, 08:22 PM   #43 (permalink)
Humbucker

Current setup.

Can only say my Memphis 345 and recent 2016 SG Special have come with exceptionally good setups as bought. Over the years I've been used to having to do sometimes more than a little fine tuning on new guitars but current Gibson specs seem pretty good to me.
MickeyB is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2016, 08:10 AM   #44 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

Hi all , I'm Ray & new here. Good to have the support .
Is this setup the same as the one for an ES 339 Ephipone, I ask this question before , but it appears to be the same setup up for a Les Paul, Are the Les Paul and the Epihone ES 339 the same measurements? I'm confused because I see the same measurements for the Es339 and the Les Paul. I have an ES 339 Epiphone ., thats the setup measurements that I need . by the way there is no heading for the setups ,So i don't know which setup is which.
Thanks very much for a reply and all the help from someone that knows specifically The Es 339 Setup.
Thanks very much Ray
rayray1952 is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2016, 12:35 PM   #45 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

These all point back to this thread. The setup specs are a guide for all Gibson electrics ( LP's, ES335/339, SG etc). You may still find the action too high or low. Personal preference will dictate the proper setup for you.

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/t...-set-up-specs/
http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/pick...tup-specs.html
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
Infant is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2017, 06:15 PM   #46 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

ACTION: ...."fret low E at first fret and measure the distance from the bottom of the to the top of the 15th fret. It should be 5/64".
__________________________________________________ ___

Hello all,
Dumb question. The sentence above reads "measure the distance from the bottom of the ??? to the top of the 15th fret. It should be 5/64".

Can someone please fill in the missing word. Is it the bottom of the E string to the top of the 15 the fret?

Thanks.
Gene1000 is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2017, 09:22 PM   #47 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

Yes, the missing word is "string."

I've been doing setups on guitars for decades and I like to think that somewhere along the line I acquired some skill at it. But I don't do measurements, I let my eyes and my fingers tell what to do, and just keep adjusting things until it works, or as a lot of players say, "It plays like buttah!"
Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.
SAguitar is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2017, 07:50 PM   #48 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAguitar View Post
Yes, the missing word is "string."

I've been doing setups on guitars for decades and I like to think that somewhere along the line I acquired some skill at it. But I don't do measurements, I let my eyes and my fingers tell what to do, and just keep adjusting things until it works, or as a lot of players say, "It plays like buttah!"
I'm with you... fingers for playability and ears for tone!

I bought all the gizmos for setting up guitars. I try to set every guitar I had the same as far as measurements are concerned. LOL... To be honest, identical measurements do NOT work even with identical models. These are guitars that had fret leveling/crownings/end dressings. After setup, I play the guitar... I always end up tweaking each guitar's truss rod and bridge height for playability. None of my guitars seem to have the exact measurements.

For a quick starting point, on the 12th fret, I use a dime for the high-e, a nickel for low-E.

At gigs, I tweak the pickup heights... this is easy with just a screw driver in your back pocket and if needed, tweak between songs.
Old April 22nd, 2017, 05:45 PM   #49 (permalink)
Humbucker

They all differ

How many times have you gone into the store and played more than one of the same model before choosing the one that seems best. Guitars are wood and wood moves and no two pieces of wood are identical.
Been setting up my own guitars for years and I find you always have to tweak to taste, with a lot depending on your string set and playing style.
Frankly you are never IMHO going to get very light strings to play clean with a very low action and you want a little more relief in the neck I'd say. On the other hand 12 gauge tape wounds on a jazz guitar don't move so much as they are much tighter and I tend to go with a much straighter neck and raise the bridge here. And then you've got all the factors of fretboard radius and fret height. The specs are a good starting point but I'd encourage everyone to experiment with available adjustments - the maxim being - only a little at a time!
MickeyB is offline Offline   Reply With Quote