Gibson & Epiphone Guitar Forum
Registered Member Login:
Not a member? Register today!

Welcome to the Gibson & Epiphone Guitar Forum.

You're going to love it here. We've got Gibson & Epiphone forums, member galleries, classified ads, and more for you here.
You can read posts as a guest but posting here requires registration. But, don't worry, registering is quick, easy and painless. Why not register today?

Notices

ES-sential Hollowbodies Nothing Hollow about the discussions going on in here.

Old February 18th, 2009, 04:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

Gibson factory set-up specs.

I posted this in another thread, and just thought I'd make it easier to find. Plus I can't sleep so enjoy ...

Hi I'm David the final inspector at Gibson Memphis. I can give you the factory spec info. on our setups. You will need a mechanics rule to do this properly.

To check neck relief: fret the low E at the first and 15th fret (not 12th) reach to the 7th fret and tap string. There should be a small space between string and fret - no thicker than a piece of paper. Do the same with the high E.
ACTION: fret low E at first fret and measure the distance from the bottom of the to the top of the 15th fret. It should be 5/64". Do the same with the high E, measurement should be 3/64". Now measure the string height at the nut; underside of the string to the top of the fret. Low E and A should measure 2/64", D and G =1.5/64" and B and high E = 1/64". If string height at nut is correct, recheck string height at 12th fret with strings open. Measurement for low and high E's should be the same as measurement taken at the 15th.

Pickups: Fret low E at 22nd fret and measure pickup height from underside of string to point on pickup closest to string. Bridge pickup should be 3/64", neck pickup should be 4/32". Fret high E at 22nd fret, distance for both pickups should be 3/32".

Play test: Play every string at every fret checking for buzzes. Bend High E string 1 and 1/2 steps, beginning at the sixth fret and ending at 22nd, checking for "choking" and to make sure string stays in nut notch.

Davomite is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2009, 06:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Humbucker

Cool!
Thanks.
Old March 7th, 2009, 12:10 AM   #3 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

Dave ,you were the first to mention the the 59 335 coming out ,but what is the difference between the 50 anniversary 58 model and the 59 model ?
MatthewStreet is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2009, 05:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Historic

Great info there Dave, I'll use that on my old 'Paul'-it's needing a setup soon anyway! Is this the same rule of thumb on the Epi's as well?

Anfontan's Tunes
anfontan is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2009, 08:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Historic

Yes that is good if want to do it yourself.

tazzboy is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2009, 08:40 AM   #6 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

Thanks for the info Dave. I have another set up question. What is the approximate string break angle over the saddles on an SG with a Maestro vibrola? The reason I ask is the former owner of my SG installed a Bigsby on my guitar. He chose the wrong model and the break angle is very shallow. I have been considering how to increase the angle if that might improve the tone and sustain.
64sg is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2010, 10:41 AM   #7 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

Factory Specifications for a '72 Les Paul Bass

Is there any way to obtain the setup specification for the 72 Les Paul Bass? The link below is to the model I have.

1972 Les Paul Bass

Im interested in the factory spec for the:
  • Neck relief and whether the 7th fret space is based on the 1st and 12th fret or the 1st and 15th fret.
  • Saddle height by string (two-point Tune-O-Matic bridge) Im looking at the individual saddles and it appears these may have been switched. They are setup in an arch with the G and E lower than the D and A. My understanding is that the saddles should get progressively higher going from G to E.
  • Action (height of strings at various frets)
  • String to pickup height.

Also, is there a wiring diagram for the electronics?
risg is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2010, 03:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davomite View Post
I posted this in another thread, and just thought I'd make it easier to find. Plus I can't sleep so enjoy ...

Hi I'm David the final inspector at Gibson Memphis. I can give you the factory spec info. on our setups. You will need a mechanics rule to do this properly.

To check neck relief: fret the low E at the first and 15th fret (not 12th) reach to the 7th fret and tap string. There should be a small space between string and fret - no thicker than a piece of paper. Do the same with the high E.
ACTION: fret low E at first fret and measure the distance from the bottom of the to the top of the 15th fret. It should be 5/64". Do the same with the high E, measurement should be 3/64". Now measure the string height at the nut; underside of the string to the top of the fret. Low E and A should measure 2/64", D and G =1.5/64" and B and high E = 1/64". If string height at nut is correct, recheck string height at 12th fret with strings open. Measurement for low and high E's should be the same as measurement taken at the 15th.

Pickups: Fret low E at 22nd fret and measure pickup height from underside of string to point on pickup closest to string. Bridge pickup should be 3/64", neck pickup should be 4/32". Fret high E at 22nd fret, distance for both pickups should be 3/32".

Play test: Play every string at every fret checking for buzzes. Bend High E string 1 and 1/2 steps, beginning at the sixth fret and ending at 22nd, checking for "choking" and to make sure string stays in nut notch.

I suppose you need a capo on the first fret? Or three arms?
Malikon is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2010, 04:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

thanks, but your post sounds like the setup for a Guitar. I'm looking for the same information on a Les Paul Bass
risg is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2010, 06:16 AM   #10 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

Good to know you're "here", Davomite
thanks for the "professional" info
Rick
Rick Winfield is offline Offline   Reply With Quote