Gibson & Epiphone Guitar Forum
Registered Member Login:
Not a member? Register today!

Welcome to the Gibson & Epiphone Guitar Forum.

You're going to love it here. We've got Gibson & Epiphone forums, member galleries, classified ads, and more for you here.
You can read posts as a guest but posting here requires registration. But, don't worry, registering is quick, easy and painless. Why not register today?

Notices

ES-sential Hollowbodies Nothing Hollow about the discussions going on in here.

Old June 12th, 2018, 07:55 AM   #31 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

i want my soul caressed by an Es model LOL

ast370 is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2018, 09:00 AM   #32 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

any thoughts on the 339 vs the 335? are there many differences to tone? the videos online are hard to judge.
Old June 15th, 2018, 12:56 PM   #33 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

Quote:
Originally Posted by ast370 View Post
any thoughts on the 339 vs the 335? are there many differences to tone? the videos online are hard to judge.
here's something I posted elsewhere quite a while ago

I have both a 339 and a 336

Construction
ES-339
This is built very similar to the 335, in that it uses laminates. It has a laminated maple top, maple centerblock, and spruce contour bracing.

The ES-339 gives players a choice of neck profiles. The í59 neck profile is for guitarists who prefer Gibsonís traditional, rounded, chunkier neck, which is most commonly associated with the iconic 1959 Les Paul. In contrast, Gibsonís new slim 30/60 neck has the slim, wide feel of the early 1960s Gibsons, with an extra .030-inches of depth, which makes it a perfect neck profile for todayís faster playing styles.

Specs
Body Wood: Maple/poplar/maple laminate
Top wood:Maple/poplar/maple laminate
Scale Length: 24-3/4"
Neck Joint: Set-in
Neck Wood: Mahogany
Neck Profile: Slender Players Profile - '60s slim-neck plus .030" front-to-back
Fretboard: Rosewood
Frets: 22
Nut Width: 1-11/16"
Fretboard Radius: 12"
Bridge: Fixed
Pickup Bridge: '57 Classic Humbucker
Pickup Neck: '57 Classic Humbucker
Controls: Volume / Volume / Tone / Tone
Tuners: Kluson
Hardware color: Nickel
Pickup selector: 3-way
Finish: Lacquer

CS-336
This is like the PRS HB in that the body is carved out of a single block of mahogany and a maple top is added.

The CS-336 neck contour is Gibsonís traditional slim taper profile, which replicates the shape of necks on the Les Pauls and SGs from the early 1960s, allowing for more comfortable playing styles.

Specs
Carved, bookmatched, figured maple top with f-holes
One-piece hollowed mahogany back and rim
One-piece mahogany neck
Single-ply cream binding on top, back, and fingerboard
Nut width: 1.687"/1.062" at 12th fret
Scale length: 24-3/4"
Rosewood fingerboard with pearloid dot position markers
Controls: 2 volume, 2 tone, 3-way selector
ABR bridge, stopbar tailpiece
'57 Classic humbuckers with nickel covers
Nickel hardware
Multi-ply bound pickguard

Sounds
ES-339
I would say the 339 is a bit brighter and sounds similar to a 335. It has something called Memphis Tone circuitry which utilises 500K audio taper pots that operate with an interactive load that preserves high end as you turn down the volume. I assume this influences the slightly brighter sound. Excellent guitar for most types of music

CS-336
The sustain is amazing and sounds similar to the 339, albeit a bit deeper and perhaps more refined and a bit less aggressive. I play a mix of Folk, Rock and Blues and the 336 easily fitted in with all types, whereas the 339 would probably bit a bit too bright for the folk stuff.

I read somewhere that the 336 plays and sounds closer to a Les Paul than a 335. It's probably true, certainly from my gigging both. The 57 humbuckers are clearer than the 490/498 combo on some LPs, but retain a deep sound.

Verdict
Both guitars play and sound great. Whilst the workmanship on both of my guitars is very good, the CS-336 has an edge, but then again it is dearer and I have the carved top. The plain top does look similar to the ES-339, until you realise it is wood as opposed to laminate. PRS lovers would almost certainly go the CS-336, due to the looks, however, don't under estimate the cheaper ES-339.

If money was no object, I would go for the 336, however, the 339 is certainly more value for money, being around 65% of the 336 price.

So in summary a 339 sounds very similar to a 335; it's just a lot smaller and easier to play. I used to have a 335, 336 & 339. The only one I have left is a 335, so you can guess which one I would go for.

http://www.thepiecesofmind.com/
johnreardon is online now Online   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2018, 06:15 PM   #34 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

i definitely feel like the 335 is the right choice but the 339 is often several hundred dollars cheaper on the used market.