Gibson & Epiphone Guitar Forum
Registered Member Login:
Not a member? Register today!

Welcome to the Gibson & Epiphone Guitar Forum.

You're going to love it here. We've got Gibson & Epiphone forums, member galleries, classified ads, and more for you here.
You can read posts as a guest but posting here requires registration. But, don't worry, registering is quick, easy and painless. Why not register today?

Notices

ES-sential Hollowbodies Nothing Hollow about the discussions going on in here.

Old May 17th, 2005, 10:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

Your Favorite Amp for ES-335

Howdy,

What is your favorite amp to use when playing your Gibson ES-335? Small combo amps? Big rigs? Let's hear from all ES-335 enthusiasts!
My favorite is my '65 Fender Princeton (Black face) with the Bass on 3, Treble on 7. All guitar knobs to 10 except the bass tone knob, which sits on 7-8, with the P/U selector switch "up" for just the use of the neck HBer. Serious "Smokin" tone! It sounds like I've heard it before..This guitar/amp set-up gets me close to SRV's "Stranded/Caught in the Crossfire" lead tones.
FWIW, I'm much more of a'Stones disciple, but couldn't help but notice the tonal similarity. Please weigh in with YOUR favorite amps for your ES-335
Respectfully,
Eggman

eggman is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2005, 01:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

Bassman, with 4 tens.
nogin007 is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2005, 10:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Historic

My 335 is my only guitar that sounds really good no matter what amp I use. I can grab that guitar, and any of my various amps, and not have to worry about finding a good sound without a bunch of hassle. I choose the amp depending on the event and the volume that will be required. I tend to go with the lightest rig I can do the job with.
Joe-Bob is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2005, 09:22 AM   #4 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

I don't own an ES-335 (yet . . . ). But I recently demo'd one through the new Marshall HW 2061X & 2061CX 2x12 cabinet. It was amazing. I am a mediocre player and have been playing on & off for 32+ years. I try out a lot of gear for time to time. There are many cominations that don't inspire me, though many folks like them. But the ES-335 and the 20W Marshall was totally inspiring. I felt like a different player that was a notch above mediocre for a change.

It was very responsive, extremely toneful and just enough gain to provide plenty of controllable feedback.

http://home.comcast.net/~rprivitt/ws...9/site1036.jpg
reverbbb is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2005, 11:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

I love it through just about anything, it's a wonderful axe. My favorite sound is throught the VibroVerb model on my PODxt, with just a touch of chorus. Every axe sounds cool through the patch I made, but the 335 just rules it. Someday, I will own the real thing, but until that day comes, the POD model rules.

"I'd like to help you out, but I've got these sacks..."
midgekey is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2005, 03:37 AM   #6 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

Super reverb 70s...
Troels is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2005, 10:20 AM   #7 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

Well, I bought an ES-335 since my earlier post in this thread. I can say that the ES-335 sounds good in nearly all the amps. I cannot say that about all my other guitars.

I still think the 2061RI is in top form. But since then, I have also tried a Cornford Hurricane and an Orange Reverb 30. For that responsive, punch rock gain, these two amps are topping the list. They are a bit pricey though.

I bought a BassBreaker which is a simple '59 Bassman RI with 2x12 Vintage 30s. This is a very nice sound, but a bit on the loud side before you get warm breakup. I have ordered some hotter preamp tubes to see if that amp can breakup at a lower volume. But it has a real nice sound and full of clean punch.

But I am more of a creamy gain player. I have gotten a bunch of complements on the tone of the ES-335 played through my DR Z Maz 18 Jr. Especially, when I push the volume (but "0" Drive) with my Tubescreamer pedal.

My '79 Marshall 50W MV through 4x12 Greenbacks really make the ES-335 responsive and creamy sounding too. A lot of folks like the ES-335 through original BF amps. They tend to make that combination sound great. I tend to make it sound uninspiring.

http://home.comcast.net/~rprivitt/ws...9/site1036.jpg
reverbbb is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2005, 10:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

'56 Fender, Princeton Tweed!

Sprinter

'78 Gibson, Les Paul Deluxe

'82 Gibson, Les Paul 30th Anniversary Goldtop
Sprinter is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2005, 10:34 AM   #9 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogin007
Bassman, with 4 tens.
I am similar - I use a Peavey Classic 50 - 410.

Definitely the tubes amps mentioned are all good for a great 335 sound. I know you Fender tweed fans will argue some, but I just like my Peavey Classic alot. Versatile and can be dropped off the truck before a gig and still work somehow.

:P
Old March 22nd, 2006, 09:15 AM   #10 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

Sounds like I just unearthed this thread !

Actually I've been plugin my 335 into my Peavey Classic 30 for about 15 years, and they just sound great... But last year, I happened to play on a Twin reverb and oh my God! my ears are not the same since then! With the tremolo on, it is closed to perfection...
I wish I had the bucks to buy one... and the big house with large basement to put in !
glouis is offline Offline   Reply With Quote