Gibson & Epiphone Guitar Forum
Registered Member Login:
Not a member? Register today!

Welcome to the Gibson & Epiphone Guitar Forum.

You're going to love it here. We've got Gibson & Epiphone forums, member galleries, classified ads, and more for you here.
You can read posts as a guest but posting here requires registration. But, don't worry, registering is quick, easy and painless. Why not register today?

Notices

ES-sential Hollowbodies Nothing Hollow about the discussions going on in here.

Old April 18th, 2006, 12:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

Just bought a 1979 ES-335 CRR

Hi all,

I just purchased a near-mint, 1979 ES-335 CRR. Itís completely stock with a sunburst finish and in great shape. I absolutely love the tone and have no plans to ever sell it, but does anyone have any idea what this is worth? Thanks!

cadfire is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2006, 12:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

I forgot to mention that it came with the original hard-shell case which is also in near-mint condition.
Old April 18th, 2006, 12:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

I guess the finish is called "tobacco sunburst".

Does anyone know anyhting about this perticular model? Is the CRR (Country Rocker) model rare? It has 2 switches and a brass nut...

I think I got a pretty good deal on it, but I would love to know what the approximate value of it is.

Any info would really be appricated. Thanks.

-Paul
Old April 18th, 2006, 02:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator
Historic

I've seen these go for just under $2000. They were made in 1979 only when Gibson was trying desparately to add interest in their guitar line. Seems they fiddled with every standard model they had looking for anything that could gain sales traction.

Supposedly, only 300 of these were made and all in 1979. The "CRR" stands for "Country Rock Regular". It's distinguished from a standard 335's in a number of ways.

1. Block MOP fretboard inlays instead of dots

2. Brass nut (an interesting choice combined with these pickups)

3. "Dirty Fingers" Humbucker pick ups (HOT!)

I don't know if it is a model that will go up in value or not, but it is unique. Seems to run counter to what a 335 is in most aspects.
Old April 18th, 2006, 04:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

Thanks for the info... I was able to dig this up. It appears to be an exact match:

http://www.yournextguitar.com/catalog.1.html
Old April 18th, 2006, 09:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

Mine was made in 1980

Cadfire,

Congrats on your new ES-335! I've got one from 1980. I bought it used 10 years ago for $1,000. It's identical to yours exceptfor: 1. Mine has black knobs with silver tops, 2. My "Dirty Fingers" came with nickel covers, unlike the one in the photo.
She plays like butter and sounds great. I decided to return mine to traditional ES-335 specs as much as reasonably possible. So, i replaced those god-awful "Dirty Fingers" (overwound, powerful Ceramic "dogs") with SD '59s. This gets me closer to what Ted McCarty envisioned, tonally.
Next to go was that troublesome, unsightly TP-6, which I replaced with a standard Gibson "stop" tailpiece. Then I replaced the creme pickguard with a regular Gibson one in Black, with white/black/white trim.
Now my ES-335 looks, plays and sounds the way a real ES-335 should! Oh, I kept all the original parts, but I really like her better now. Those "Dirty Fingers" were wrong for this kind of guitar, no apologies offered. They are virtual heavy metal p/u's. On a 335? C'MON!
My 59's didn't come with coil-split cabability, and that's fine with me; if i want single-coil tone..I'll reach for a Tele, thank you. This variant was a clunker; tampering with a winning formula..sheesh! It's still a 335, but I needed to wash away the mud first
Still, she feels, plays and looks great, now. Those small block inalys add a certain understated elegance. This guitar is wonderful, if slightly heavy at 9lbs. I love it! Smoooth.

Eggman

PS: It's in Vintage Tobacco Sunburst; just like the one in the photo. Again, a sweet guitar!
eggman is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2006, 12:59 AM   #7 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

Thanks for the info Eggman! I picked up my CRR for $1000 (with the original case). Its pretty darn close to mint. I did a ton of looking on the net and found only 2 that were sold online... one sold for $2050 and the other for $3200. I'm thrilled about my new purchase! That brass nut makes for an interesting sound on open chords!!
Old October 7th, 2006, 05:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

Here's one I found in a store here in Ireland. Unusual finish but the asking price is a bit high.
http://www.kilkennyvintageguitars.co...=450aa7d3a9a7c

John.
tippman is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2009, 05:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned
Gibson Talker

Send a message via ICQ to sangandongo Send a message via AIM to sangandongo Send a message via MSN to sangandongo Send a message via Yahoo to sangandongo Send a message via Skype™ to sangandongo
Hey guys,

Would any of you CRR/CRS owners mind shooting me a private message with your serial numbers? I'm compiling a database for both CRRs and CRSs to see if I can track them down. Ultimately I want to create a CRR/CRS registry and put it online for people to submit to.

I have two CRRs currently, both 100% stock.

Thanks,

j.k.
sangandongo is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2015, 06:50 AM   #10 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

1979 Gibson 335 CRR

Cadfire, congrats!!! This is a very unique 335 with very unique tonal capabilities. I have had offers of 2500-3200. I even had one offer of 1000 for the pickups alone. I play every style of music with it, and is my go to guitar in the studio. It's that versatile! Please, for God's sake, do not change anything one your 335. It is a very unique animal. If you desire a more conventional 335 setup, go get another. There's 1000's of 335's, but only 400(?) of these. Please leave yours as is. Please???

Click image for larger version

Name:	gibby335short.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	2502
wilywelch335 is offline Offline   Reply With Quote