Gibson & Epiphone Guitar Forum
Registered Member Login:
Not a member? Register today!

Welcome to the Gibson & Epiphone Guitar Forum.

You're going to love it here. We've got Gibson & Epiphone forums, member galleries, classified ads, and more for you here.
You can read posts as a guest but posting here requires registration. But, don't worry, registering is quick, easy and painless. Why not register today?

Notices

ES-sential Hollowbodies Nothing Hollow about the discussions going on in here.

Old November 4th, 2008, 04:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

how to get a fair appraisal?

my dad (unfortunately) has to sell his prized 1965 ES-335. It's in mint condition. He's the only owner. Cherrywood finish. he is not very internet savvy. online we saw asking prices between 15 and 17k. A guy at a vintage guitar shop offered him a 1,000 bucks. How do we know what's fair? Is there a guide to vintage guitar prices that is reliable enough to use. Pleas help.

stefanir is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2008, 06:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator
Historic

Well, there are guides, but they tend to be out of date immediately.

And there are people that appraise guitars, especially in LA.

But really the best way to is look on Ebay and review similar auctions and completed auctions for '65 ESs. Also, look at Gbase.com to see what dealers are asking for guitars like your Dads.

You can contact Gruhn Guitars in Nashville and they'll do an appraisal with photos etc for a small fee and Gruhn is the number one Gibson expert I'd say when it comes to pricing.

You should also try a simple google search. I just did and found a number of them for sale right now at dealers.

Here's a link to one for $10,500 from a very reputable dealer:

http://www.westwoodmusic.com/vintage/item_2.html

I found a blog that estimated the value between $5,000 and $9,000. Remember if a dealer is selling it for $10,500 then he paid less than $8,500 for it when he bought it.

Just keep looking. The info is not going to be one set price cast in stone. It's going to be a range of prices.
Old November 4th, 2008, 08:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Humbucker

The guy who offered him $1000 should be beaten senseless for being unscrupulous.
There is grey area when somebody says' "Give me $1000 for this," and the guy does it, but to be a dealer and make those kind of offers is just sleazy.
Feel free to hope that bad things happen to that guy.
That's what he hoped for your pop.
Old November 5th, 2008, 11:49 AM   #4 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

My 2008 book sets that guitar in exc cond at $8-13K. That surprises me due to the trapeze tailpiece. I also thought that the neck width decreased along with the intro of the trapeze. Am I wrong there? I figured that the '65 would have been valued as would a '66...$5,800-9000 in this same book.
A '64 is valued at $25K-30K....wider neck, stop tailpiece.
Who knows what the current economy has done to the market????
Wally is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2008, 02:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

Thank you for looking it up.

We are under the impression that this guitar is part of the generation with wider neck, stop tailpiece. After '65 came the change (hence the lower value for the '66 es-335).

Any other info from your book would be great. thanks!
stefanir is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2008, 04:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Administrator
Historic

You need to post photos. We can't really give you any specific info without photos.
Old November 5th, 2008, 05:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

stefan, I found the info on the change. EArly '65's have the wider neck. THe change to the narrower neck took place leter in 1965. You woudl want to measure that nut....the narrows are 1 9/16" while the earlier wide necks are 1 11/16". The trazeze tailpiece was introduced in early '65 before the change to the narrower neck. THe value takes a hit for the tailpiece, and the narrower neck 'devalues' the gutiar a bit more.
Unless.....the prospective buyer has little hands. IN that case, ask premium....LOL
Old November 7th, 2008, 12:38 AM   #8 (permalink)
Historic

I recommend you never go back to that vintage guitar store.
Joe-Bob is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2008, 12:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-Bob View Post
I recommend you never go back to that vintage guitar store.
Well, I don't know if I agree with that one. IF this ES-335 measures to be the narrow nut, then the guy's offer was maybe $1,500-2000 below what most of us would call 'fair' wholesale price, right? IF the guitar is the wide nut, that offer was say $7-8.5K low???
With that in mind, I wouldn't mind walking in there on a nice pleasant day and offering them the same reduced price swing on their vintage stock and see what they say. Maybe they sell as cheaply as they buy??? LOL I doubt it, but it could be an interesting exchange of ideas if they were made to understand that they were being offered the same type of price that they offered to Stefan's dad.
I surely would not go in there and offer a guitar on a blank slate again. Buyer beware has a brother named seller beware. IN this day and age, it is easy to find some info.
I alos would not be averse to walking in with this same guitar and offering it for sale. When they asked what the price was, I would price it commensurate with the market...considering of course that this would be at best a top of wholesale, bottom of retail type of price. Who knows, you might get what you want for it. Cash has a way of talking....
But I agree that $1K was WAY low.....if I had been offering and heard that 'out of the blue' offer, I would not have hesitated to make a counter....say, $9.5K for a wide nut, $4K for the narrow. There might have ensued an exchange of offers that could have gotten the guitar sold. They might have worked out a consignment deal that would have netted the seller a bit more and the store would have made a bit of money with minimum outlay. This happens.
When I have someone come in selling and they won't name a price, I push them to do so. I hate to name a price. When I am 'forced' to 'open the dialogue', I admit that I am apt to start in the middle of wholesale. Sometimes this is after I say something like...'well, I would snap up a deal for X amount....both the 'seller' and I know that this is not a serious offer. I am just setting some ground workd. I like to be as fair as a struggling business owner can be.
Most of the time, this method results in a deal being set at some price that gives them money and gives me a chance to make a profit. I am not getting rich at this, co maybe I am doing something incorrectly????
The following is not related to STefan's situation...I am just thinking of 'buy and sell' situation....
IF someone came in with that guitar and OFFERED it for $1K, I would also look at the deal sideways.....is something wrong? IS it stolen? So many aspects...... IT would be hard to turn down, but I would CMA by demanding ID, signatures and thumbprint. YEah, thumbprints....I have recovered a few stolen guitars in my store. The police and I are on good terms, and they provide buy'n'sell merchants with ID forms.
Old May 14th, 2012, 01:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

I've used Gruhn's and found George to be fair and reasonable with his appraisals.
Greywolf is offline Offline   Reply With Quote