Gibson & Epiphone Guitar Forum
Registered Member Login:
Not a member? Register today!

Welcome to the Gibson & Epiphone Guitar Forum.

You're going to love it here. We've got Gibson & Epiphone forums, member galleries, classified ads, and more for you here.
You can read posts as a guest but posting here requires registration. But, don't worry, registering is quick, easy and painless. Why not register today?

Notices

Forum Operations, Issues and Suggestions Got a Problem with how this website works? Got a Suggestion? Detail it here.

Old August 5th, 2011, 08:53 AM   #1 (permalink)
Administrator
Historic

Posting Photos A Tutorial

There are two basic ways to put a photo in your post here on Gibson-Talk. No matter which you choose you need to do these two things first:

First, you must have a photo that is the correct format. A GIF or JPG (JPEG on a MAC) or PNG file is required. 99% of the time people use JPG for image files.

Second you need to edit the photo to a reasonable size for including here. Digital cameras these days will take a photo 3000 pixels wide by 2000 pixels tall. That's much too large for a forum page. We prefer 500 wide and any height. But as long as it's reasonable (under 1000 px) it won't be too big a problem. Use a photo editing program to reduce the size. Also, save it as a Medium Quality JPG -- and make sure that the byte count of the image file is below 97,000 bytes.

OK, with that out of the way -- here are the descriptions for each of the two methods to insert a photo in a post:

Quote:
ATTACHED PHOTO -- Easiest Way

To attach a photo to your post you simply click the PaperClip icon above the Post New Thread/Post Reply Message box. It looks like this: . You will NOT find this icon on the Quick Reply box. You must use the "Advanced" editor. When starting a new thread you'll always have this editor. When replying to an existing thread you'll need to either click on "Post Reply" or if you're using the Quick Reply box you'll have to click on "Go Advanced."

Then simply use the pop-up upload window (make sure you don't block popups on Gibson-Talk.com) to browse to the photo file and then click "Upload." Close the popup uploader and you're done.
OK, got that method down? Now, try the more advanced way to put a photo in your post:

Quote:
EMBEDDED PHOTO -- More Advanced

To embed a photo you need a place on the web to host your photo. You can use Gibson-Talk's Photo Gallery, Photobucket, or some other OPEN photo host. NOTE: Yahoo and other photo hosts that require you to log in to see the photos will not work.

Next you need the URL of the PHOTO... not the page it is located on. A photo URL will always contain a file with a .jpg, .png or .gif extension. If it has a .htm, .html, .asp or .php extension that's a page URL not a photo file URL. Page URLS WILL NOT WORK.

You can get the photo URL many places. A "right click" on a photo on a web page will bring up a menu on PC. Click on "properties" or "view image info" in that menu and at the bottom you should see a "location" such as this:

Code:
http://www.website.com/myphoto.jpg
Once you have a URL simply copy and paste the image URL into your post as you are composing it. Put a "return" between your photo and the words you are typing or they'll run together.

After you insert this photo URL in your post, highlight the entire URL with your mouse and click on the IMG button in the BBCODE list above the box where you type your post.

It's a good idea to "Preview" your post before you "Submit" it to see if the photo shows up. If the photo doesn't show up in your preview it won't show up in your post either.

Here is an embedded photo:

And here is the coding that inserted it into this post:

[IMG]http://www.gibson-talk.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=120&pictureid=581[/IMG]

Notice the [img] [/img] tags surrounding the image URL? This is added when you click on the IMG button in the BBCODE list. In many photohost websites you'll see sample links provided to you -- including in our photo album here on Gibson-Talk. You'll see a link already prepared for you with those [img] tags already in place. If you have a URL with those in place there is no need to click the IMG button at all. Just paste the link into your post. Or, if you wish you can paste a link without those [img] tags and then add them yourself manually. Remember it's always [img] photo-url-here [/img] . One tag opens and the other tag closes.

Never try to use an HTML tag in your post it will not work.
That's all there is too it. Remember if you do everything as I've illustrated your photo will show up. If it doesn't then you are probably using the wrong kind of file, the wrong URL or, the wrong photo host.

Old December 1st, 2016, 10:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

How do I log out to leave this site?
kuvash is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2016, 12:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuvash View Post
How do I log out to leave this site?
Top right menu option says 'Log Out'

http://www.thepiecesofmind.com/
johnreardon is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2016, 05:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

Not so much but I was using a tablet,anyway there is no
Log Out on my screen,however I do acknowledge that I
am challenged at times on this kind of simple stuff.
Lucas
kuvash is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2017, 09:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned
NEW MEMBER!

What would the best? I guess PC or laptop
Annonoxfo is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2017, 04:32 AM   #6 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annonoxfo View Post
What would the best? I guess PC or laptop
I mainly use PC or laptop. Tablets like iPads tend to be slightly different

http://www.thepiecesofmind.com/
johnreardon is offline Offline   Reply With Quote