Gibson & Epiphone Guitar Forum
Registered Member Login:
Not a member? Register today!

Welcome to the Gibson & Epiphone Guitar Forum.

You're going to love it here. We've got Gibson & Epiphone forums, member galleries, classified ads, and more for you here.
You can read posts as a guest but posting here requires registration. But, don't worry, registering is quick, easy and painless. Why not register today?

Notices

Introductions New members start here. Tell us about yourself and your guitars. We want to get to know you.

Old January 31st, 2017, 12:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

Archie in NC

Hello guys and gals. My name is Archie aka "Musically Mr M" I actually registered for this site awhile back when I was doing some research on my 1976 Norlin-era Les Paul Standard (a black and white double bound standard) It was my 1st serious guitar I ever owned, I was 17 playing in local bands, high school jazz ensemble.....anywhere I could play. I still own that guitar right now. My parents purchased that guitar for $700 brand new w/hard shell case back then. Man do you know what that thing is worth right now? Sheesh Downright scary to think about it. Enough reminiscing.....

Today I'm a retired music educator after 31 years. Still gigging, still playing; I have a small studio in North Carolina (about 96 tracks and some old and very new gear), church music minister, yada, yada. I'm really enjoying the view here.

I'm hanging around researching another acquisition and it seems to be a hot topic around the internet these days--"Chibsons" and I'll post a story about that one a little later/ Someone will no doubt chime in and tell why this sub-300 dollar import plays just as good or better than my other 3 Les Pauls even though there is so much trash talk around the cyberworld about the illegal imports opposed to some of the "junk" that Gibson is trying to peddle off to consumers as quality. (got my oppinions about that too) So.....

....I just wanted to introduce myself. Great digs here and some interesting convo. I can dig it Here's a link to me and my latest "Chibson" entry for you to check out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcSzoWHGlJU

musicallymrm is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2017, 12:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

Hi Archie and welcome to Gibson talk. Chibsons are pretty much like swearing on a forum. They don't go over very well because at some point, you may want to sell that guitar and even though you may be honest and tell the buyer it's a Chibson, who says that the buyer won't turn around and sell it to an uninformed newbie for $1K. I've been on many forums where people have posted a NGD only to find out they have a fake or a partscaster. Sometimes these instruments play very well but I've also heard stories of some being built with no truss rods, engineered wood bodies (particle board/masonite). Just complete horror stories.

I don't mean to put a damper on your introduction and acquisition but like I said, you are very welcome here and we'd like to have you around to chat with us. You said you have a Norlin era Gibson,...we'd love to see pictures.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
Infant is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2017, 01:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

Hi and welcome to this place.

These Chinese copies are counterfeit goods and as such I deplore them. I am talking about those people who stick Gibson, Fender, PRS etc on the headstocks. I would think more of those companies if they just produced guitars under their own brand name instead of stealing brands of other companies.

As Rob says workmanship is iffy and also some people pass them on as the real thing. There have been stories of unsuspecting parents buying what they thought were Fender or Gibson guitars as Xmas presents for their children, only for them to find out later that they were not the real thing.

http://www.thepiecesofmind.com/
johnreardon is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2017, 01:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnreardon View Post
Hi and welcome to this place.

These Chinese copies are counterfeit goods and as such I deplore them. I am talking about those people who stick Gibson, Fender, PRS etc on the headstocks. I would think more of those companies if they just produced guitars under their own brand name instead of stealing brands of other companies.

As Rob says workmanship is iffy and also some people pass them on as the real thing. There have been stories of unsuspecting parents buying what they thought were Fender or Gibson guitars as Xmas presents for their children, only for them to find out later that they were not the real thing.
Thank you both for the acknowledgement. I know that counterfeiting, placing a companies logo on something not made by that company is a really bad thing......having said that and in defense of them, I look at my copy as if I had purchased an ESP/Edwards/Navigator or a Burny or Tokai. Giannini (what I bought) clearly displays their own logo, uses a similar headstock shape but not the same and does not try to pass there piece off as the "genuine article". I find this as an exercise in building a good, use able product at a price point any working class musician or student can afford. Something that Gibson and a few others seemed to have forgotten. Just my 2 cents

Last edited by musicallymrm; January 31st, 2017 at 10:21 PM.
musicallymrm is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2017, 06:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

So you don't actually have "Chibson" but rather a Gibson copy. That is totally different!!! Chibsons are true counterfeits, made to look identical right down to the logo. Copies can be great players. They are also great modding bases for pickups or other parts Epiphone and Squier are excellent guitars made under the eyes of their parent companies. Glad we cleared that up ☺

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk
Old January 31st, 2017, 09:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

Welcome to Gibson-Talk, Archie! I imagine you know that you hit a hot topic with this one. We've already run a few Chibs off this site!
Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.
SAguitar is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2017, 11:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

BTW Archie, great playing there! And the guitar DOES sound good!
Old February 1st, 2017, 04:19 AM   #8 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicallymrm View Post
Thank you both for the acknowledgement. I know that counterfeiting, placing a companies logo on something not made by that company is a really bad thing......having said that and in defense of them, I look at my copy as if I had purchased an ESP/Edwards/Navigator or a Burny or Tokai. Giannini (what I bought) clearly displays their own logo, uses a similar headstock shape but not the same and does not try to pass there piece off as the "genuine article". I find this as an exercise in building a good, use able product at a price point any working class musician or student can afford. Something that Gibson and a few others seemed to have forgotten. Just my 2 cents
Nothing wrong with this approach. It's those that blatantly, try to pass their cheap, and usually nasty, workmanship off as the real thing.

To be fair to Fender, Gibson and PRS, they do have their own less expensive lines such as Squier, Epiphone and SE. Some great guitars from them

http://www.thepiecesofmind.com/
johnreardon is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2017, 07:02 AM   #9 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnreardon View Post
Nothing wrong with this approach. It's those that blatantly, try to pass their cheap, and usually nasty, workmanship off as the real thing.

To be fair to Fender, Gibson and PRS, they do have their own less expensive lines such as Squier, Epiphone and SE. Some great guitars from them
In fact John, one of Epiphones "sleepers" is the bolt on neck Special I with 2 -P90s and wrap around tailpiece. Put some better tuners, pots and switch on it and you've got a kick @$$ rockin' axe for under $200.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk
Old February 5th, 2017, 01:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

Welcome Archie

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sonny is offline Offline   Reply With Quote