Gibson & Epiphone Guitar Forum
Registered Member Login:
Not a member? Register today!

Welcome to the Gibson & Epiphone Guitar Forum.

You're going to love it here. We've got Gibson & Epiphone forums, member galleries, classified ads, and more for you here.
You can read posts as a guest but posting here requires registration. But, don't worry, registering is quick, easy and painless. Why not register today?

Notices

Introductions New members start here. Tell us about yourself and your guitars. We want to get to know you.

Old September 9th, 2017, 05:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

Gibson Advice, which one?

Hey guys,

I'm not really one for introductions but all I'll say is I'm 16, I work on guitars as a hobby, I have owned 2 epiphones, a fender Strat and a DG335 chibson.

Anyway I'm finally at that stage where I decided to actually save up for a real Gibson guitar. After buying the Strat I realised I'm way more of a Gibson man than I am a fender man. But I'm in need of a bit of help.

I'm looking to spend $1500-$2000 on a Gibson but can't decide what to get. Now this is just my preference I have nothing against these guitars, but, I find a les Paul too bulky and heavy, Flying V is too awkward, explorer too big, and I already own a knockoff 335. I was looking at getting a Gibson SG '61 reissue in cherry red which I'm still really keen on but I'm not sure if it's my style. Recently I started considering the idea of a firebird but don't know much about them either sound wise or price wise. What should I get?!?

I'm into Foo fighters, Green day, Blink 182, AC/DC, Nirvana, Sum 41, Metallica, the offspring, and the living end. Does that help as to what sound I would like to sound like for any of these guys?

Cheers,
Kyle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kyletrick13 is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2017, 05:29 AM   #2 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

I'm confused. Your into AC/DC and your not sure if an SG is your style? I have a 2014 SG and its light, easy to play and it screams. I love it. Need I say more?
Best advice I can give is go try one out. I think you'll love it too.......
Old September 10th, 2017, 06:40 AM   #3 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

Hi and welcome to this place.

Best advice is to go to your local guitar shop and try as many as you can. Doesn't matter what the make or model is, just pick the one that sounds and plays the best in your arms.

http://www.thepiecesofmind.com/
johnreardon is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2017, 06:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

Yes, yes, play as many as you can! Sooner or later, one will demand that you take it home. You'll know it when it happens.

Several generations ago, I had my heart set on getting a Les Paul, and I scrimped and saved for a long time to get it. When I got it home, it was a lovely Black Beauty but it had those danged micro-frets and try as I might I could not get the feel for them. Eventually I sadly had to sell it. But today I own several great LPs, and many other Gibson models that I enjoy and play often. Unlike with women, you can have relationships with many guitars at the same time!
Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.
SAguitar is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2017, 01:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

Get a Gibson SG that works for the music you wanna play. I have a Flying V and it works fine if you play standing up or use classical guitar position sitting down. It was a bit hard at first to get used to but now that I use classical guitar method it is not bad and sounds amazing for these types of music. If I were to buy another Gibson, it would definitely be either the Gibson SG or Gibson LP Studio!
socaldreamer is offline Offline   Reply With Quote