Gibson & Epiphone Guitar Forum
Registered Member Login:
Not a member? Register today!

Welcome to the Gibson & Epiphone Guitar Forum.

You're going to love it here. We've got Gibson & Epiphone forums, member galleries, classified ads, and more for you here.
You can read posts as a guest but posting here requires registration. But, don't worry, registering is quick, easy and painless. Why not register today?

Notices

Introductions New members start here. Tell us about yourself and your guitars. We want to get to know you.

Old January 10th, 2018, 07:03 AM   #1 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

Forgotten the combination lock code to my guitar case :-((

Hi ! Glad to be here and great to be part of this. My first post is a problem , I`m afraid.

I changed the combination lock code on my Gibson case ( ES 335 ) and had forgotten it when I next went to play the guitar . Have probably written it down somewhere but no idea where.

I`ve tried the usual stuff of trying to find the notch in each wheel in turn , turning teach wheel slowly while holding back the catch, but I can`t judge when the notch is there ( hope this is making sense ). I can usually do this but haven`t done it before on a Gibson case. Is there a special way to get into my case or is it just persevering with what I`m doing ? Thanks for any help you can give me. I`m determined not to break it as it`s a 70`s case and would be expensive to replace ( it`s not original ). Thank you !

Oldenuff is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2018, 07:17 AM   #2 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

I just looked at a couple of articles on the web. Just Google “Forgot the combo on my Gibson Guitar case”. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
shupe13 is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2018, 11:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

I had this problem, now my TKL cases are set on "000"

You can use a flashlight to find the right number or use a pin to feel the numbers.

000, 001, 011, 010, 100, 200, 999, etc ... works very well too.
GibSG is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2018, 02:05 AM   #4 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

I had the same problem... combination was somehow changed. I happened to have one of those head gear with magnifier and LEDs. Even then it was tough. Now, reset it to 000 and stick piece of paper clip in the holes of the tumblers. It's not warranted to have this lock.

There should be 1000 combinations... 000, 001, 010, 011... good luck.
Old January 11th, 2018, 10:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

Many thanks for all the advice. It`s driving me nuts and I`m so close to hitting it with a hammer , but managing to avoid it so far ) Can`t believe I haven`t written it down somewhere, it seems. I`ll carry-on and do that Google search. 000 and a paper-clip it is in future ! (You`re right Kaicho8888 - they aren`t needed as who is going to be put-off stealing a guitar by a pathetic combination lock ?).
Oldenuff is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2018, 09:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

Slow and steady, one click at a time. You'll get there.
Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.
SAguitar is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2018, 07:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

When it happened to me a few years ago, I could not get it to work even with all the internet advice...until I read the one that said..."Just literally rotate through the combos one at a time, it won't take as long as you think". It took me 15 minutes, could have taken maybe 20-25 if mine was one of the the last. I don't remember the specifics, but I guess you start at 0000 and work your way up....0001, 0002 etc.
Old January 22nd, 2018, 09:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

I did that with an old briefcase one time and it didn't take too long either.

Somehow the internal parts on my ES-335 case got stuck a few months ago. They decided to lock up when my guitar wasn't in the case and I couldn't get it back open to put my guitar away. I searched all over the net and tried the solutions with no success. I finally took it down to a locksmith to see if he knew any other tricks. He determined that something inside the lock had broken, so he just forced it open for me. I never had used the combination before, and it still had the little red plastic thingy stuck through it. Now I have a case without a latch in that area, and it still protects my guitar just fine.
Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.
SAguitar is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2018, 02:03 AM   #9 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

Hi and Welcome to Gibson-Talk, Oldenuff. Case locks are nice but if they don't work or can't remember the numbers they seem to serve no purpose other than the case going on a airplane and use the locks for security.
Billy C is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2018, 12:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy C View Post
Hi and Welcome to Gibson-Talk, Oldenuff. Case locks are nice but if they don't work or can't remember the numbers they seem to serve no purpose other than the case going on a airplane and use the locks for security.
I don't even think you can do that anymore as just like any luggage, the locks must be TSA approved so that they can inspect the contents. if they cant open it, they will cut the locks off or in the case of a guitar case, break the lock. Hmmm...maybe United doesn't break guitars. It was the TSA after all!
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
Infant is offline Offline   Reply With Quote