Gibson & Epiphone Guitar Forum
Registered Member Login:
Not a member? Register today!

Welcome to the Gibson & Epiphone Guitar Forum.

You're going to love it here. We've got Gibson & Epiphone forums, member galleries, classified ads, and more for you here.
You can read posts as a guest but posting here requires registration. But, don't worry, registering is quick, easy and painless. Why not register today?

Notices

Les Paul Discussion Page General discussion about the all models of the Gibson Les Paul

Old June 30th, 2008, 10:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

VOS/R9/R8...what does it all mean?

Hi Folks

Please excuse the newbie questions - but can someone explain to me what is an R9 exactly, or an r8 etc?

I had assumed an R9 was some kind of 59 Reissue, and R8 a 58 Reissue and so on is this correct?

Now on the Gibson website I see no mention of anything to do with R8 or R9 etc. (unless I'm missing something)..
On the custom website of course there are the VOS Les Pauls - I understand what those are, plenty of info on the gibson custom website. Are these the same thing? Ie is a VOS '58 Les Paul an R8?
When I see LP's advertised on ebay if a guitar is advertised as a 58 Reissue, does this mean it's an R8, or is it a VOS 58 standard, or both???????!!! Again, apart from the VOS guitars I see no mention of any other reissues on the Gibson website..

Please enlighten me!

Rgds

Andy

champ72 is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2008, 10:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator
Historic

A '59 Reissue is a R9 and as you'd expect a '58 Reissue is an R8. By the way, there is a R7 as well. VOS is a finish and construction option and it stands for Vintage Original Spec.

VOS is primarily a finishing process that gives the guitar a slightly "aged" appearance. It looks and feels more "broken in." The other big difference when the VOS guitars were launched (in early '06) is they were set-up at the Custom Shop using a machine called the PLEK. This technology helped deliver a very consistent and high quality set-up that really helped make the guitar play beautifully right out of the case.

VOS models look more worn in (lacquer finish is "softer," nickel probably looks a bit oxidized, etc.).

When looking at the Gibson site the reissues are called Historics and they are in the Custom Shop. Look there at the Les Paul and you'll see a CS Historic 1959 Standard... after 2007 that would be a VOS before that it wouldn't be. So, it would be a 2007 R9 VOS

I think you have it mostly figured out. Just watch Ebay, people will be selling non-historics as R9s and an older R9 won't be VOS. Though it's still a great guitar.

Lastly, there are a lot of Chinese fakes being sold as Gibsons on Ebay. Be very careful.
Old July 1st, 2008, 12:12 AM   #3 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibson-Talk View Post
A '59 Reissue is a R9 and as you'd expect a '58 Reissue is an R8. By the way, there is a R7 as well. VOS is a finish and construction option and it stands for Vintage Original Spec.

VOS is primarily a finishing process that gives the guitar a slightly "aged" appearance. It looks and feels more "broken in." The other big difference when the VOS guitars were launched (in early '06) is they were set-up at the Custom Shop using a machine called the PLEK. This technology helped deliver a very consistent and high quality set-up that really helped make the guitar play beautifully right out of the case.

VOS models look more worn in (lacquer finish is "softer," nickel probably looks a bit oxidized, etc.).

When looking at the Gibson site the reissues are called Historics and they are in the Custom Shop. Look there at the Les Paul and you'll see a CS Historic 1959 Standard... after 2007 that would be a VOS before that it wouldn't be. So, it would be a 2007 R9 VOS

I think you have it mostly figured out. Just watch Ebay, people will be selling non-historics as R9s and an older R9 won't be VOS. Though it's still a great guitar.

Lastly, there are a lot of Chinese fakes being sold as Gibsons on Ebay. Be very careful.
Many thanks, that has made it clearer for me...cheers
champ72 is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2011, 12:29 AM   #4 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

Mark Knopfler is currently using a cyan (light blue) R9 on tour in Europe....
Old October 29th, 2011, 02:26 AM   #5 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

The R range goes from about R4 to R0. I have R6 through to R0
johnreardon is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2011, 09:10 AM   #6 (permalink)
Historic

VOS...vintage original specs, I believe...

...wisdom

I am coming, I am here--Wahi
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=909695
indianation65 is offline Offline   Reply With Quote