Gibson & Epiphone Guitar Forum
Registered Member Login:
Not a member? Register today!

Welcome to the Gibson & Epiphone Guitar Forum.

You're going to love it here. We've got Gibson & Epiphone forums, member galleries, classified ads, and more for you here.
You can read posts as a guest but posting here requires registration. But, don't worry, registering is quick, easy and painless. Why not register today?

Notices

Les Paul Discussion Page General discussion about the all models of the Gibson Les Paul

Old February 6th, 2017, 09:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

NGD Incoming! 2017 Les Paul Tribute

I decided on the HP for the Axcess neck carve, Titanium nut and saddles, and '57 classics. I kind of like the thought of the removable pickguard too. She should be here by Friday

\,,/😎\,,/

YOSTINATOR is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2017, 02:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

What are your thoughts on the axe? Does the neck feel a lot wider? I ordered the same model, my first Gibson, CANT WAIT!!
markolo is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2017, 03:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

I have a 2012 LP Tribute 60's model with P90's. I guess they aren't clueing you into what neck taper it has. Usually the '60s has medium thick neck (more D shaped), and the 50's has a fuller neck. Does anyone know?

I just checked and both T and HP models have the 60's taper (0.800" @ 1st fret and 0.880" @ the 12th fret).

As good as the deal is for this guitar, it doesn't have a pickguard, circular rhythm/treble plastic, the reflector knobs on the HD model (replaced by those metallic ones), and plastic tip of pickup selector. I think these are the reasons for not designating an era, such as 50s or 60s.

Last edited by qblue; February 9th, 2017 at 04:31 PM.
qblue is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2017, 09:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by qblue View Post
I have a 2012 LP Tribute 60's model with P90's. I guess they aren't clueing you into what neck taper it has. Usually the '60s has medium thick neck (more D shaped), and the 50's has a fuller neck. Does anyone know?

I just checked and both T and HP models have the 60's taper (0.800" @ 1st fret and 0.880" @ the 12th fret).

As good as the deal is for this guitar, it doesn't have a pickguard, circular rhythm/treble plastic, the reflector knobs on the HD model (replaced by those metallic ones), and plastic tip of pickup selector. I think these are the reasons for not designating an era, such as 50s or 60s.
Those cosmetics are easily and cost effectively going to be changed... the traditional switchwasher and knobs are shipping with my order I am going to replace the truss cover too.. I will leave the chrome switch tip the way it is because it looks good. It is a slim taper neck with a fretboard that is .5mm wider than a traditional. I am on my way to pick it up at FedEx Office right now!

\,,/😎\,,/
Old February 9th, 2017, 09:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by markolo View Post
What are your thoughts on the axe? Does the neck feel a lot wider? I ordered the same model, my first Gibson, CANT WAIT!!
Going to get it right NOW! Will report tomorrow!

\,,/😎\,,/
Old February 10th, 2017, 09:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

That is one beautiful instrument! Congratulations!
Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.
SAguitar is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2017, 02:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by markolo View Post
Ok man. Here it is short and sweet. Endless sustain, perfect action, the 57's are my new favorite humbuckers, as always I love the worn or satin finishes, the bling looks much better in person vs. pictures but I am still going to tone it down with more traditional Gibson parts, the extra width of the fretboard is an absolute non issue because the string spacing is still the same...it is nice having that extra room to go after the high E string. The neck profile feels to me like a very slightly slimmer Jackson Soloist profile. Axcess neck carve is wonderful! It made a Les Paul comfy to me instead of cumbersome. It came with imo a really nice leather strap and the gig bag is far superior to the gig bag that comes with the T as I have that bag for my SG's for comparison (not that they are bad gig bags its just that the HP gig bag is really really good)

Perhaps my biggest surprise was seeing that on these HPs, the frets are slotted into the board in a way that I simply cannot imaging there ever being an issue of fret sprout!

\,,/😎\,,/
Old February 11th, 2017, 02:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

Ohh... and the inlays are GENUINE MOTHER OF PEARL! Another big surprise

\,,/😎\,,/
Old February 11th, 2017, 03:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

Did you get yours yet Markolo?

'11 Ibanez SR500
'15 Fender American Standard Strat
'16 Gibson SG Faded Special
'16 Squier Classic Vibe Tele
'17 Gibson Les Paul Tribute HP
'17 Gibson SG Special
Old February 12th, 2017, 07:39 AM   #10 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

I too have purchases a 2017 Tribute HP gold top version and have no intention to replace anything. I think this guitar looks amazing and chose it because of the non traditional look. I think it's one of the nicest looking guitars I have laid my eyes on.
Duthartr is offline Offline   Reply With Quote