Gibson & Epiphone Guitar Forum
Registered Member Login:
Not a member? Register today!

Welcome to the Gibson & Epiphone Guitar Forum.

You're going to love it here. We've got Gibson & Epiphone forums, member galleries, classified ads, and more for you here.
You can read posts as a guest but posting here requires registration. But, don't worry, registering is quick, easy and painless. Why not register today?

Notices

Les Paul Discussion Page General discussion about the all models of the Gibson Les Paul

Old March 6th, 2017, 03:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

Pickup covers

Hey everyone,

I have a question about the humbucker covers. I've replaced the humbuckers on an older LP that I have with the SH-8 Invaders and left the guards off and it sounds awesome. Does anyone have experience with how your guitar sounds after removing the original guards without replacing the pickup itself? If it is a huge improvement I'm considering taking them off of my others as well. Thanks guys!

Keep it loud,
V

vgrimes52 is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2017, 02:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgrimes52 View Post
Hey everyone,

I have a question about the humbucker covers. I've replaced the humbuckers on an older LP that I have with the SH-8 Invaders and left the guards off and it sounds awesome. Does anyone have experience with how your guitar sounds after removing the original guards without replacing the pickup itself? If it is a huge improvement I'm considering taking them off of my others as well. Thanks guys!

Keep it loud,
V
It makes the pickups brighter, in the same way that switching a 500k pot to a 1 meg pot would. The reason it's the same is because both of these things modify the Q factor of the pickup.
FlorentineLP is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2017, 08:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

Yup. I found this out years ago when I took the gold-plated covers off some Gibson pickups and liked them better. And that was before I learned how dangerous it is to do that! You can easily break one of the tiny wires and the whole pickup is dead.
Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.
SAguitar is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2017, 11:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

Same for me, makes 'em brighter. I always keep them on the neck to keep that one sounding a bit muddier! My favorite position especially on an LP!
Old March 14th, 2017, 07:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

On for me!

I'm ancient enough to remember when folk first started taking the covers off. Yes, maybe it makes them brighter if that's what you want but the cover is part of the shielding and protection and personally I'm not a fan of the look of naked pickups - seems kind of like boasting about the size of your..erm ...exhaust pipe!

You have to be careful with removing the covers unless you know what you are doing and what pickup and construction you have. If it's been encapsulated in resin, forget it; then again some oriental pickups have the entire inside of the case filled with wax. Maybe only an unpotted old-style would be safe as overwound pickups often have the taped coils squeezed into the case and best left untouched.
There is a thing about some covers and capacitance that might impact on the highs. Brass - as in cheaper oriental clones - is not as "transparent" as nickel silver originals and it was found that gold plating also had this effect.
MickeyB is offline Offline   Reply With Quote