Gibson & Epiphone Guitar Forum
Registered Member Login:
Not a member? Register today!

Welcome to the Gibson & Epiphone Guitar Forum.

You're going to love it here. We've got Gibson & Epiphone forums, member galleries, classified ads, and more for you here.
You can read posts as a guest but posting here requires registration. But, don't worry, registering is quick, easy and painless. Why not register today?

Notices

Les Paul Discussion Page General discussion about the all models of the Gibson Les Paul

Old April 9th, 2017, 09:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

Tuning Issue

I mentioned in my intro that I just got a 2017, Gibson Les Paul Tribute T. The guitar was set up at the factory and checked over/set up by Sweetwater before being shipped to me. Still, I'm having some serious tuning problems and I'm hoping you might be able to offer some suggestions before I go completely insane.

It's almost impossible to get all 6 strings in tune at the same time and if I do get them close, just a note or two on them and they go almost instantly out of tune. You can tune it, play a note with a little bend on any given string, and literally hear it go out. The guitar is almost impossible to play.

The setup seems ok to my untrained eye, but something is really messed up somewhere. I've never had this issue with any of the other guitars I've owned. I contacted gibson three or four days ago and I'm waiting for a reply. Hoping you may be able to point me in the right direction in the meantime.

throwback is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2017, 09:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

Having a guitar go out of tune after a bend usually points to the nut. It was either poorly slotted, or it was slotted for smaller strings than you're using, either way it's binding up the strings and not letting them move freely, causing tension differences that cause tuning instability. These problems can be exacerbated by a tremelo, but even in a hardtail they'll give you fits.

Try slacking the strings a little, then taking a little plain Chapstick and rubbing it on each string where it will pass through the nut. A little in the actual nut slot probably wouldn't hurt. Tune back up and see if this solves your problem. Long term, the solution is to get a new nut cut.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
Liko81 is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2017, 11:00 AM   #3 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

Thanks Liko81. After a bend, just strumming a chord a few times, whatever. Like I said, It's even hard to get everything in tune all at the same time without the strings I've already tuned going back out. It's enough to drive a guy to drink and I gave that up a long time ago, lol. Thanks again.
throwback is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2017, 07:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

Oh, you put the lubricant on the strings? I've been slacking the strings and putting nut sauce in the actual nut slots...
Adamc is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2017, 08:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

Adam, the nut sauce, or graphite, should go in the actual nut slots. You can also put it in the bridge slots where the strings rest.
Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.
SAguitar is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2017, 08:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

Ok cool, I guess I was doing it right haha, thank you! Isn't it strange that all the op's strings are going out of tune?? I've had a g, and occasionally a b string do that, but not all strings.
Adamc is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2017, 10:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

If they are brand new strings, they need to be stretched a bit. If they are old strings, I find that they can become difficult to keep in tune. Definitely add some graphite to the nut slots.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
Infant is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2017, 08:53 AM   #8 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

Yes, they're new strings and I expect them to stretch and settle in a little, but they were far worse than anything I've ever seen, and on a brand new Les Paul no less. It just freaked me out a little. Things seem to be working themselves out some and with the addition of some lube, I think I'll be good. I guess I just hoped that after spending basically $1000.00 on a new guitar, I wouldn't have any issues. I should know better at my age. Thanks for the help everybody.
Old April 10th, 2017, 08:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

I've found that every guitar needs a little loving attention reach it's maximum potential.
Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.
SAguitar is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2017, 10:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAguitar View Post
I've found that every guitar needs a little loving attention reach it's maximum potential.
If you already lubed and streched the strings...hmmm intonated?... Did it come with 9 gauge strings? You might be used to 10...or possibly lighten your touch?

Puzzling..???

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk