Gibson & Epiphone Guitar Forum
Registered Member Login:
Not a member? Register today!

Welcome to the Gibson & Epiphone Guitar Forum.

You're going to love it here. We've got Gibson & Epiphone forums, member galleries, classified ads, and more for you here.
You can read posts as a guest but posting here requires registration. But, don't worry, registering is quick, easy and painless. Why not register today?

Notices

Les Paul Discussion Page General discussion about the all models of the Gibson Les Paul

Old May 28th, 2017, 09:37 AM   #1 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

Gibson Quality Control Across Les Paul Ranges

Hi guys,

Im typing this in the context of deliberating my first Gibson purchase.

I notice that across the range of Les Pauls (Studios, Classics, Traditionals and Standards), the main differences are in (i) wood quality/grade and (ii) pickups. However, the price difference can easily be USD 300 - USD 500 for each "jump" in the range.

Would it be right to say that given the difference in the price of the pickups, the main thing you are paying for as you "move up" the range is just for the wood quality, which I understand is largely a cosmetic issue?

I also heard rumours that the "higher" range Les Pauls have "better" quality control, which means that the quality is more "consistent". Is this true? If so, how do the consistency compare between say Studios and Classics?

I am asking because this will influence my purchase. Unfortunately I am buying my guitar online through Thomann and thus would not be able to try out the specific guitar before buying. I am looking between the Les Paul Studio 2016 and the Les Paul Classic 2015?

Thanks for reading guys.

boxian is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2017, 10:28 AM   #2 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

Internet rumors are just that, and I wouldn't put a lot of credence into most of them. I still feel that Gibson's quality control is quite good, across their whole range. I have owned several Studio models and they were great guitars. I still have one SG studio that is an excellent guitar. I have a Classic that I would put right up there in finishing quality with my Custom Shop models, it's just not as "pretty," and the Studio model comes with a gig bag, not a hard shell case.

Obviously, as you go up in price you will get a maple cap, better "quality" wood, fancier stuff like inlays and binding. And there is the old Law of Diminishing Returns, that basically says the more you spend, the less you get. Beyond a certain point, a large amount of money added to the cost only increases the "value" by a very small amount.
Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.
SAguitar is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2017, 03:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

I currently have 15 Gibson guitars including 11 LPs. Not one has any QA issues. In fact when I bought my new ones in shops, I can't recall ever seeing any of those I tried having QA issues.

As SA says, don't pay any credence. The best thing to do is try guitars before you buy and pick the one that sounds and plays the best in your hands.

However understand your predicament in buying over the internet. Only thing I can say is that I bought a guitar, albeit a Guild, from Thomann and it arrived well packed and absolutely no QA issues.

http://www.thepiecesofmind.com/
johnreardon is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2017, 12:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

When I read reviews on the internet, I take them with a grain of salt. People tend to complain if they get a lemon and most don't bother writing a review if they get a diamond (mainly because they expect it). So for every bad review, there are thousands of good guitars out there that their owners never bothered to write about. The odd bad one is bound to slip out. However, I have a 2014 Melody Maker and it's quality is exceptional for what it is...an entry level guitar.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
Infant is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2017, 09:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Historic

When I checkout a guitar I am trying out, I will start out with the guitar un-pluged for 20 minutes or more. I like to feel the wood as well as checking the action of the guitar-I have checked out guitars for 30 years or so-and is suits me fine!

I have to praise the Melody Maker as well, I use it a lot for practicing-my wife works a 3rd shift job and the Melody Maker can keep the music very quietly.

Anfontan's Tunes
anfontan is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2017, 07:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxian View Post
I am asking because this will influence my purchase. Unfortunately I am buying my guitar online through Thomann and thus would not be able to try out the specific guitar before buying.

In case you don't know, with thomann you have 30-day money back guaranteed. If you can afford it, order 2-3 guitars, try them for a week, keep the ones that you like the best and return the other. If you can't afford to order more than one, order the one that you think is best for you and give it a try; you can always return it if you don't like it.

What I will do (as I'm looking into buying a LP Studio myself) if try most of the Les Pauls that I like in a local shop and order online the ones that I like the best, this way I can save 100-500€ depending in the model.

I Hope this helped!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
waltschwarzkopf is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2017, 11:03 AM   #7 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

I have several current / recent Gibsons - A Les Paul Standard, 2 LP Juniors, 2 Firebirds, and a Melody Maker. I do not see ANY QC differences at all...I have owned a Studio, too, and you really can't go wing with one.
If you buy online, buy from a big online seller - GC, Sweetwater, etc...who will take a return if you feel the need and not give you grief about it. I doubt you will have to, but it's good to know the option is available.
old mark is offline Offline   Reply With Quote