Gibson & Epiphone Guitar Forum
Registered Member Login:
Not a member? Register today!

Welcome to the Gibson & Epiphone Guitar Forum.

You're going to love it here. We've got Gibson & Epiphone forums, member galleries, classified ads, and more for you here.
You can read posts as a guest but posting here requires registration. But, don't worry, registering is quick, easy and painless. Why not register today?

Notices

Les Paul Discussion Page General discussion about the all models of the Gibson Les Paul

Old July 6th, 2017, 03:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

Lay My Burden Down?

Greetings...Hope this is the correct forum. Wondering if, and why, storing my electric guitar in its factory issued hard case, laying down, is good or bad. I have seen information that claims standing up the only way to go. Case is on a very supported surface, face up (like you would view someone in a coffin), nothing on top of it. Instrument played regularly, so no long term storage problems. Factory case supports body and neck well. What say ye all? Thanks in advance for the replies.

Tuica is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2017, 05:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

Hi Tuica and welcome to Gibson Talk. I don't believe that there is an actual "proper" way to store it. I store all mine standing up but that's because I've built a shelving unit to do so. However, if you look at a hardshell case, there's usually feet on the end, on the side and on the bottom. So, the way I see it, if the case sits on its feet, you're fine. Just my opinion.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
Infant is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2017, 06:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

Thanks Infant. I have been playing off and on since the early 70's. And have placed my LP's; Tele's; and Strats the way I described with no apparent problems. I resumed playing after a 25 year hiatus, and enjoy admiring my newly purchased Strat laying out, face up in the case.

Currently looking for a Gibby - LP Jr., or MM. Like the Fenders, but the Gibson's, with the shorter scale, seem a better fit. And the Gibson's seem more exotic that the California offering. Cheers...T
Old July 7th, 2017, 03:02 AM   #4 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

Most of mine are standing up because that's the way I fit them in the spaces I have. A couple of my lesser user guitars are lying on their side.

Never ever laid them down flat and stacked other guitars up that way. I would be a little concerned with weight on some not so strong cases. With shaped cases like LP, it would be a bit difficult anyway as they are slightly curved and would wobble.

http://www.thepiecesofmind.com/
johnreardon is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2017, 06:21 AM   #5 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

I agree that one shouldn't stack them on top of one another and I believe tat Tuica said "nothing on top of it".
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
Infant is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2017, 11:55 AM   #6 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

I've always kept my lp in it's case flat (bought new in '94), nothing on top. I recently got a wall hanger, and like having the guitar handy for little jams though. Either way seems fine to me.
circles is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2017, 12:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

Thanks for the helpful replies, and yes, nothing stacked on top of the case. So I can freely open, and admire several times daily. You all understand. Especially since I sold my last - a 1983 LP Studio Deluxe - back in 1992. Wish I still had that Black Beauty.
Old July 7th, 2017, 08:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

I have some of them in stacked cases, laying flat on their backs (only 2 high and in rectangular cases), some are sitting in the bottoms of closets on the cases' metal feet (horizontal), and the ones that get played the most are in their cases standing upright because that suits the area where they are stored. I've had no problems from any of those situations. But they all go back into their cases after I'm done playing and wiped them down.
Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.
SAguitar is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2017, 07:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

Thanks, fellow Ory-gun-ian. Mine should be fine, as I do take good care of my stuff.