Gibson & Epiphone Guitar Forum
Registered Member Login:
Not a member? Register today!

Welcome to the Gibson & Epiphone Guitar Forum.

You're going to love it here. We've got Gibson & Epiphone forums, member galleries, classified ads, and more for you here.
You can read posts as a guest but posting here requires registration. But, don't worry, registering is quick, easy and painless. Why not register today?

Notices

Les Paul Discussion Page General discussion about the all models of the Gibson Les Paul

Old August 24th, 2017, 03:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

Why is there so much hate online toward Gibson?

Notice a lot of hate toward Gibson and Les Paul lately online and cannot figure it out?

Here is an example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iots...03603528841056

And this:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/s...th-2016-Gibson

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=773062

Can not understand this?

socaldreamer is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2017, 10:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

I watched the first video and some are legitimate problems:

The pleck of the nut is too close to the edge binding. I had a new nut on my older 2013 Standard.

The neck binding nitro level...I had to sand/polish it down to make it level.

The neck set angle is the worst... send it back. It's a major steaming of the nect heel and regluing/finishing. If you can live with filing the saddles lower, it could be OK.

Yeah, the tuning pegs are not straight... live with it, re-mount or send it back.

This Standard's maple top looks really nice; but the neck angle is glued in poorly!! It breaks my heart to send a gorgeous LP back. It's OK as a decor on the wall and ocasional plinking.

...for the price, it shouldn't have these issues other than a good setup.

2cents
Old August 25th, 2017, 01:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

Agree I think the guy was super upset that after spending $$$$ on a custom shop Gibson LP that he had bad luck twice in a row. Fortunately my new V has been flawless fun. Then again I don't have 8k for a custom guitar.
Old August 26th, 2017, 12:26 AM   #4 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

Why the hate?
Social media is the debil, whether Gibson, or anything else deserves it, social media is about hate. Well, not everything is negative, but much of it is, as evidenced by your third link.

What's the point of posting more disgusting dialogue, or should I say text?

...wisdom

I am coming, I am here--Wahi
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=909695
indianation65 is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2017, 12:32 AM   #5 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

I agree but it hurts when such things happen. I love Gibson guitars along with Les Pauls and Fenders and ESP.
Old August 28th, 2017, 05:46 AM   #6 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

Considering that there are thousands of players online every day, it throws the few complainers more into perspective.
The old "squeaky wheel" philosophy.
LOSTVENTURE is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2017, 01:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

Makes sense!
Old August 29th, 2017, 12:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Humbucker

Not What they were!

Once was a time when Gibson, Gretsch and Fender were so far ahead of the competition that if you wanted a pro instrument with great playability and quality, that's where you went. Now there is a huge amount of competition and it has to be said that for attention to detail and quality control there are others that do it much better and Gibson seems to have problems, certainly with their lower priced instruments, in keeping up.

Consider - my last two purchases of new Gibson instruments. 60's Tribute LP Studio - huge frets and horribly ragged fret ends. Memphis '64 345 - high frets that had been flattened to level them but not reprofiled - on a £3000 guitar!

Compare with PRS S2 Vela. Not a core premium model but perfect in every detail; very high quality fit and finish and perfect playability at a good price.- An example of what Gibson ought to be doing instead of turning out sometimes less than wonderful old models.
MickeyB is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2017, 01:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

Why is there so much hate online toward Gibson?

I love playing guitar, and play every day; but I'm not a guitar expert. I own 7 different models/brands, with my Gibson Les Paul Standard being the Flagship of my small collection, so to speak.
First, there is nothing that compares to the nitrocellulose smell of a new Gibson, when you open the case, it's intoxicating. Also, unamplified it has the most beautiful sound, and I play it that way a lot late at night. It just rings like a bell. Very impressive. Also, when amplified, the Burstbuckers are about as good a pickup as I have, and very good for most types of music. Overall, the workmanship is satisfactory, but it does have one really edgy area where the fretboard meets the top. I can overlook it , but it should not have passed QC at the factory. I probably would have exchanged it, but I liked the AAA maple flame top pattern too much. None of my other, far cheaper guitars, have ANY type of workmanship issues. Also, none of the others are made in the U.S. , which I thought "sets the standard" for guitar construction in the world . I also have issues with the G string. It binds at the nut, and is hard to get in tune.
In conclusion, my biggest issue is that I hold Gibson as "THE STANDARD" for electric guitars, and I expect nothing but the best from them. While it's a very nice guitar that I'm proud to own , I don't feel like I'm getting the best . Now I don't have the benefit of owning older versions, so my perspective is very narrow, but that's my view.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Tadbennett1; August 29th, 2017 at 07:06 PM.
Tadbennett1 is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2017, 01:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

Well said and my ESP guitar that I also have besides the Flying V Gibson is well crafted on par with Les Paul customs.