Gibson & Epiphone Guitar Forum
Registered Member Login:
Not a member? Register today!

Welcome to the Gibson & Epiphone Guitar Forum.

You're going to love it here. We've got Gibson & Epiphone forums, member galleries, classified ads, and more for you here.
You can read posts as a guest but posting here requires registration. But, don't worry, registering is quick, easy and painless. Why not register today?

Notices

Les Paul Discussion Page General discussion about the all models of the Gibson Les Paul

Old September 8th, 2017, 04:28 PM   #11 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

That's cool! To each their own, my friend. I love Nightfly, and Kamakiriad (from 1993) is one of my favorite of his CDs, but that's just me.

Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.
SAguitar is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2017, 06:31 PM   #12 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

I used to have Nightfly years ago...loved it. Then I lent it to someone (can't remember who) and I never saw it again.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
Infant is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2017, 02:42 PM   #13 (permalink)
Humbucker

My favorite story from Nightfly involves Larry Carlton. Apparently they flew him in to NYC from LA and he showed up with just his guitar. Donald Fagen wanted to know where his tweed Deluxe was, to which Larry said he figured he'd just use one of their amps. Fagen insisted on getting that particular amp, and had it delivered - that was the amp Larry used for the Kid Charlemagne solo.

Nightfly was definitely a great album!
Srini is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2017, 05:52 AM   #14 (permalink)
Humbucker

Upon reflection, I can't help thinking that in popular music's general environment of image, rock stardom, guitar godliness, high profile celebrity demeanor..Steely Dan have always been pretty low key with such a focus on the substance of the music. To me, it seems that even in death, Walter embodied this quality, announcing it without much hoopla on his website, not even providing a cause - not that that matters much.

For the co-driver of a band that Lee Ritenour once said was the only one that rivaled the Beatles (I'm paraphrasing, of course), its a valuable life lesson for me anyway. For some reason, sad as this is, I feel far less trepidation at my own demise now and, more importantly, a far greater impetus to live my life with as little fanfare as possible.

I apologize for the somewhat morbid nature of this post, but I know you guys will understand.

Srini
Srini is offline Offline   Reply With Quote