Gibson & Epiphone Guitar Forum
Registered Member Login:
Not a member? Register today!

Welcome to the Gibson & Epiphone Guitar Forum.

You're going to love it here. We've got Gibson & Epiphone forums, member galleries, classified ads, and more for you here.
You can read posts as a guest but posting here requires registration. But, don't worry, registering is quick, easy and painless. Why not register today?

Notices

Les Paul Discussion Page General discussion about the all models of the Gibson Les Paul

Old April 21st, 2004, 03:44 AM   #1 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

List Price of this 1963 Les Paul Custom??

Hi,
my uncle wants to sell his black 1963 Gibson Les Paul Custom "Fretless Wonder".

This is the serial number:

Can anyone tell me what it is worth? How much $ should he ask for this guitar?

Thanks
Simon

simon is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2004, 01:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

Simon, could you post some particulars about that guitar? The '61, '62 and early '63 L.P.'s were built on the double cutaway, thin-bodied all mahogany shape that came in late '63 to be known as the SG. Furthermore, that serial number would fit a '64 Gibson or any of the years 1970-1975. If the guitar is the original Les Paul single-cutaway body, it is from the '70's. If it is an SG shape, then one might suppose that it is a '64, but then it should not say 'Les Paul' on the headstock as did the early '60's SG-shaped Les Pauls. The SG-shaped L.P. Custom should have a plastic plate between the fingerboard and the neck pickup with Les Paul Custom engraved. Even rarer would be an SG-like guitar with a pearly block inlay below the tailpiece from 1962.
The '54 RI was introduced in '72 and discontinued in '73. This would be the RI of the original 'fretless wonder' that was introduced in '54. 3 of these were hsipped in '75 and 1 in '77.
Anyway, let us know what guitar we are wondering about, right? That is the only way to come to an understanding of value.
Wally is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2004, 02:35 AM   #3 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

particulars about that guitar

Thanks Wally!!!!!
I do not have it here at the moment. I am surprised how difficult it is to tell the year. Posted on the gibson.com site forum and there were different opinions too.

Here is what I remember from playing it a few months ago:

It is a single cutaway.

It does NOT look like an SG.

In fact the body looks similar to the new Les Pauls to me (but I am not an expert since I only play Teles).

It has an original thin black laquer coating that feels more like nitro than like poly.

White (or cream) binding.

Big block inlays on the neck.

Very tiny frets.

It's NOT thin bodied but has a very fat heavy body.

No inlay behind the tail-piece.

The original case has a purple lining.

Original gold hardware.

Diamond inlay on headstock.

I am pretty sure about the ser.-number. My uncle says it is a "Fretless Wonder", but he may be wrong and I thought that was just a nickname anyway? It is wierd that my uncle thinks it is a 1963 when it might be really a 1974. Since he originally bought it as a first owner. But it may be possible his memory does not serve him well about that. I get a chance to see the guitar again in a few weeks and may get a picture of it.

Thanks again!
Simon
Old April 22nd, 2004, 12:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

Simon, the purple lined case the serial number along with the trad L.P. body indicates to me that it is from the early '70's. When you get to look at it, check out the pot dates. Chances are the codes will confirm the '70's era production.
Wally is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2004, 07:34 AM   #5 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

pot dates

thanks wally, good idea about the pot dates. i will let you know when i find out.

later -
simon