Gibson & Epiphone Guitar Forum
Registered Member Login:
Not a member? Register today!

Welcome to the Gibson & Epiphone Guitar Forum.

You're going to love it here. We've got Gibson & Epiphone forums, member galleries, classified ads, and more for you here.
You can read posts as a guest but posting here requires registration. But, don't worry, registering is quick, easy and painless. Why not register today?

Notices

Les Paul Discussion Page General discussion about the all models of the Gibson Les Paul

Old September 14th, 2010, 07:11 AM   #1 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

Manufacture Date - Les Paul Classic 60 reissue

I have just bought a Les Paul Classic, it is a 1960s reissue style (1960 on pickguard) and Les Paul Classic on headstock. Think it a late 90's early 2000's but I'm unsure.

Serial No is 053738, shop said it was a 2003 but from what I have read the six digit serial No on these models has the first digit as the year so 0 meaning 2000 ?

Any help much appreciated

richie53 is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2010, 11:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

Contact
gibson for the story on this one. I am going to think that the '0' i ndicates the '1960 Classic model---'0' indicated 1960 on the original 1960 LEs Pauls and for the Reissue 1960's, also. Imho, the use of this scheme on the Classic series is misleading, but that is waht Gibson did, right? I have seen folks who knew no better think that they had a Reissue or even once an original 1960 LEs Paul because of that 0_xxxx number.
anyway, I think the '0' inidicates the 1960 Classic model, the '3' following the 5 indicates 2003. The 5 indicates that the numbering exceeded '9999'...so they fill the blank with the next largest digit. AT least, that is what would have happened with the original numbering system that used the first digit as the last digit of the year. Example.....
1960 original.....0_xxxx. When and if they exceeded 9999 for the serialization within that year, the number would read 01xxxx...becoming 6 digits rather than 5.
Gison will clue you in for sure on that guitar.
Wally is offline Offline   Reply With Quote