Gibson & Epiphone Guitar Forum
Registered Member Login:
Not a member? Register today!

Welcome to the Gibson & Epiphone Guitar Forum.

You're going to love it here. We've got Gibson & Epiphone forums, member galleries, classified ads, and more for you here.
You can read posts as a guest but posting here requires registration. But, don't worry, registering is quick, easy and painless. Why not register today?

Notices

Les's Living Room Our Off-Topic Forum. Stop by Les's living room and recline in the barcalounger.

Old October 31st, 2017, 10:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

Just got asked to join another band...

A friend of mine texted me earlier tonight and asked me if I'd be interested in joining a band with her. She, like me, already plays guitar and sings in another band and although her band is much busier than us, she wants to help out this drummer friend of hers. I'm willing to give it a try as they want to play classic rock from the 60s, 70s and 80s. I'm good with that. Their previous guitar player only wanted to play 50s tunes.

I'm just a little nervous going out to play with people I don't know. Every band I've played in since high school has had one common denominator...my sax player whom I've known since grade 1 (6 yrs of age). Gonna feel strange without him. The friend that asked me to join her is actually not a very close friend. She's an old high school friend of my sister and after I saw her band a few years ago, we kept in touch and have chatted a few times about music and our bands. However, it's not gonna be like having my best friend with me. I'm meeting with her and the drummer tomorrow over coffee and comparing songlists.

Stay tuned!

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
Infant is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2017, 03:55 AM   #2 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

Give it a go Rob. Playing with strangers is a great challenge.

Good luck

http://www.thepiecesofmind.com/
johnreardon is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2017, 09:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

Yeah, let the rocks roll on! The worst that can happen is not too bad, and the best is pretty incredible.
Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.
SAguitar is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2017, 03:01 AM   #4 (permalink)
Historic

Best of luck with the group for you Rob. They say change is good for a person, I would give it a shot..................
Billy C is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2017, 07:35 AM   #5 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

Well, I sat down and spoke with the leader. Seems to be a decent guy. He's looking for a bass player too so I told him about my bass player and he was thrilled. I showed him a songlist from my current band and he loved it as it was the type of music he wants to play. By bringing my bass player in, we've got about 40 songs we can do straight away. I asked if he needed a keyboard player too because that would open up another 10-15 songs and reduce the number of rehearsals before the November 26th gig he has booked. However, he's got someone in mind so we'll have to see how that goes.

After our meeting, I went home and started thinking about what was discussed and it sounded like he wanted to play more than a couple of Saturdays a month. So I called him back the next day to confirm this as I know me and my bass player don't want to get back into full time playing as we are still working stiffs and would enjoy some weekends off. He said that he was okay with that. So the first rehearsal is Wednesday. Well have to see how that works out.
Old November 8th, 2017, 10:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

Hah! Sounds like it might work out pretty well. Just take it easy and see how it goes. And of course report back here with updates!
Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.
SAguitar is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2017, 12:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

First rehearsal last night...got thru about 20 songs. Sounded pretty good but needs some tightening up. The keyboard player is awesome. We've got a gig on the 25th and we need at least another 20 songs...gonna be tough when we can only rehearse once a week!!!
Old November 9th, 2017, 01:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infant View Post
First rehearsal last night...got thru about 20 songs. Sounded pretty good but needs some tightening up. The keyboard player is awesome. We've got a gig on the 25th and we need at least another 20 songs...gonna be tough when we can only rehearse once a week!!!
Sounds great Rob. Why not lengthen some of the songs? We usually do about around 20 songs for two sets of 45 mins each. Just add some more solos.

Old November 9th, 2017, 07:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnreardon View Post
Sounds great Rob. Why not lengthen some of the songs? We usually do about around 20 songs for two sets of 45 mins each. Just add some more solos.
That's fine if you are doing blues type of stuff. In our case we're doing some classic rock and although we can do a solo for an extra verse, we can't overdo it. We find that maybe 12 or 13 songs will do 45-50 minutes. Some of those songs from the 60s were only a little over 2 minutes long for radio play.

Old November 10th, 2017, 03:15 AM   #10 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infant View Post
That's fine if you are doing blues type of stuff. In our case we're doing some classic rock and although we can do a solo for an extra verse, we can't overdo it. We find that maybe 12 or 13 songs will do 45-50 minutes. Some of those songs from the 60s were only a little over 2 minutes long for radio play.

We never cover songs whether Blues, Classic Rock or any genre like the record. We always do it our own way, whether adding solos or repeating verses/choruses.

Still, good luck