Gibson & Epiphone Guitar Forum
Registered Member Login:
Not a member? Register today!

Welcome to the Gibson & Epiphone Guitar Forum.

You're going to love it here. We've got Gibson & Epiphone forums, member galleries, classified ads, and more for you here.
You can read posts as a guest but posting here requires registration. But, don't worry, registering is quick, easy and painless. Why not register today?

Notices

Les's Living Room Our Off-Topic Forum. Stop by Les's living room and recline in the barcalounger.

Old February 2nd, 2018, 01:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

Not too happy with my new band...

The leader got me and my buddy (bass player) into this thing last November promising no more than one or two gigs a month. Well we just finished a 3 gig January and we have 2 gigs a month already for Feb, Mar and April and he said he'd like to get at least 2 more in these 3 months. WTF??? Not what we agreed to.

When we were in our 20s and 30s, sure no problem. I'm 61 now, I don't want to be spending 6 -7 hours on one of my two days off of work making only $60-70. This guy had a crappy band to start and the first gig we played with him, he had a smile from ear to ear as everybody told him that this new band blew away his old one. The band actually sounds pretty kick @$$!!
Suddenly every place that we have played so far has asked us to play more dates and he's just taking them without asking if we are free. (my buddy and I also play in another band).

So he came to me and my buddy and said "I got us booked for New Years Eve...$1000". Unfortunately, my other band got rebooked at the place we've been playing for the last 8 years...$2000! I even told him that when I started! Guess where we are gonna play?

Now to make matters worse, on Tuesday, my buddy told this guy he's moving way too fast for us and this wasn't what we had agreed to. He said that he'll play out till the end of April where we have a month off which will give the leader a few months to find a replacement. So, this morning my buddy got an email saying that he isn't required at rehearsal this week as the band will be trying out a new bass player. He told my buddy that he's still playing the gig on the 17th. WTF?? I got this info from my buddy and not the leader. We were supposed to learn 6 new songs this week. So are we breaking in a new guy or learning new songs?

I think I'm gonna tell this guy that I'm thinking of getting out too. I can't handle this crap and I'm not willing to become a full time musician again. Maybe once I retire but not at this point in my life.

Sorry for the rant ...I had to get that off my chest. Anyone here a "full time" musician?

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
Infant is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2018, 02:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

If there are no contracts and you have another band already, give the guy 30 day notice. And your buddy ought to tell the guy to stuff it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jimilee is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2018, 06:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

Our other band is kinda winding down...just a few gigs this year. Plus we've got a jazz trio on the side that plays a few weeks a year too. That's why we only wanted to do one or two a month with this guy. He knows what dates we have booked with our other bands.
The band is great. My buddy and I joined in November and we brought 40 songs into the band. We played our first gig 3 weeks later playing every one of those tunes and we were a hit. Every gig we've played since has generated more gigs...maybe we are too good...or too cheap!

Anyway, I'm gonna wait to see if the leader calls me this weekend but I think he knows that I'm not gonna be sticking around without my buddy. However, I'm not a d!ck...I won't leave him hanging without a guitar player.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk
Old February 3rd, 2018, 12:29 AM   #4 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

Yeah, I used to be a full-time guitarist and/or bassist, but that was decades ago. I enjoy playing a lot but there are a lot of things to do that are enjoyable too. It's time to be movin' on.
Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.
SAguitar is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2018, 06:58 AM   #5 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

Rob if you don't like what is happening then get out is my advice. Life is too short to waste time doing things you don't want to.

Agree with the age thing. I'm 72 and a couple of gigs leave me shattered. I do a small number of gigs a year with my main band in Wales, the rest of the time I just pop along to some jams, often in the house bands. Keeps me happy.

Having said that, I am going to try out with a local band next week to see what I think. They asked me, so it's more if I like what they are going to play and if my body can take what they have planned!!

http://www.thepiecesofmind.com/
johnreardon is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2018, 09:53 AM   #6 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

Well John, lucky for me, I don't have to bring my PA, just my guitar, amp and peripherals (stands). If I was retired, I'd probably have a different outlook. However, after working 5 days, I like to enjoy my weekends and not spend every single one in a Legion hall.

Everyone is right, I should just get out and my plan is to talk to the leader after the weekend. Like another friend told me, when some guys hit their late 50s, early 60s, they want to take one last kick at the can while others still want to do it as a hobby. Well, i guess my buddy and I are hobbyists.

Old February 6th, 2018, 07:20 AM   #7 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

I spoke to the leader last night and told him that, like the bass player, I'm feeling overwhelmed by it all. He tried his hardest to talk me into staying. He told me that even the new bass player will only do 2 to 3 gigs a month (even though I always said I'd be happy with 1 to 2 a month, no more)! Oh man, he was buttering me up with compliments regarding my singing and guitar playing. I finally told him that I will finish off the gigs between now and the end of april and that he should start looking for my replacement now. As soon as the replacement is ready, I'll step aside.

The guy is 63 yrs old and he's telling me that this band is gonna be going places. I'm 61....been there, done that, don't need the aggravation at this point in my life. I have a great paying engineering job, I'm not going to take an afternoon off to play a $50 lunchtime gig at a city park bandshell. I play a few gigs a year with my big band and a few restaurant/small parties with my trio. I'm good with that.

Old February 6th, 2018, 04:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
Humbucker

It's great that you were able to level with the new leader. As a fellow engineer, at 71, I can see your point exactly. When "playing" turns to "work" it's just not fun anymore.
Don
LOSTVENTURE is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2018, 04:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

Been there. Done that myself. Going places eh? Already been there, it isnít pretty. My last band I had, we played shows with other bands so I could be home at 11 instead of 2am. I played just for fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jimilee is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2018, 11:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

Well done Rob, chart your own course.
Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.
SAguitar is offline Offline   Reply With Quote