Gibson & Epiphone Guitar Forum
Registered Member Login:
Not a member? Register today!

Welcome to the Gibson & Epiphone Guitar Forum.

You're going to love it here. We've got Gibson & Epiphone forums, member galleries, classified ads, and more for you here.
You can read posts as a guest but posting here requires registration. But, don't worry, registering is quick, easy and painless. Why not register today?

Notices

Les's Living Room Our Off-Topic Forum. Stop by Les's living room and recline in the barcalounger.

Old May 17th, 2018, 10:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

V Picks...anyone use 'em?

Anybody here using V picks? What do you think? Personally, Vinnie Smith's foray into acrylic plectrums has been a Godsend for me. For years I've used what I thought was the ultimate pick for me... A Golden Gate 1.5mm mando pick....about the size of a quarter in a rounded triangle shape. Loved 'em. Fast forward to about a month ago. My basal joint (thumb base) arthritis had gotten to the point that it was becoming a real challenge to play sometimes. Some years back, I had ordered a set of pickups and the vendor threw in a medium round V Pick. (I had tried it once, thought "Ehh...OK" and tossed it back into the box of wayward picks) As it's pretty stout at 2.75mm and I thought it would be easier to grip, I dug it out. Wow, what a difference. A slight learning curve (maybe an hour) and I realized how much more fluid my playing was, in addition to my thumb feeling much, much better. With the added thickness and the slight tackiness of the acrylic, I could hold it with less tension....this even helped my other fingers stay looser and improved my hybrid picking. It has a different tone than the GG's....a bit sharper attack and a slight chirpiness, but nice strong mids. A total winner for me....I just ordered more.

So, excuse my verbosity, please....but anyone else with a V Pick opinion?

Old May 18th, 2018, 03:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

I did try one a few years ago but for me it was a bit thick and awkward to use. Not sure what size it was.

To be honest I am extremely happy using a mix of my fingers and some cheap 0.96 mm plectrums. When I use a plectrum, I tend to be quite aggressive so get through 2-3 a gig, hence the need for cheap ones.

http://www.thepiecesofmind.com/
johnreardon is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2018, 08:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
Historic

I have been using Dunlop Tortex for a long time. I don't break them very often, they don't deform under stress and they are quiet.
Old May 18th, 2018, 11:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

About 20 years ago I tried something similar...I think they were Dunlop Stubbies or something. I got great picking harmonics a la Billy Gibbons but they were terrible for playing rhythm. I stopped using them after a month or two. I have since mastered the picking harmonics using the rounded edge of a celluloid Fender 351 pick. In fact, I never even use the pointy portion of the pick anymore as I prefer the richer tone I get from the rounded edge
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
Infant is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2018, 03:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

That's why I went to the Golden Gate mando pick, Rob...it was like having a pick with three shoulders of a 351....smoother and richer. While it is thicker, the V Pick's thickness really makes it easier for me. I had ordered and just received two of the large round...these are the same size as the GG's (the medium round was a tiny bit smaller); while the shoulders are a hair more pointed than the GG's, overall the pick works just great for me. It's amazing how much difference different picks make in playing and tone.
Old May 19th, 2018, 08:13 AM   #6 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

It's amazing the different tones you can get just by changing to a pick of different material. Try using a coin and check out the tone...quite different.
Doesn't Billy Gibbons use a Mexican Peso? And I believe Brian May uses a sixpence to get his sound.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
Infant is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2018, 01:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

I'm a V-pick guy, at least half the time!
I use Vinnie's Tradition Lite in Sapphire Blue, and I sometimes switch to a Dunlop 1mm Tortex. On some songs, and only in my in-ear monitors I sometimes hear the click of the V-picks hitting the string. I have learned that this is a lack of technique on my part, and when I am playing well it is not noticeable.

Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.
SAguitar is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2018, 07:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

Yes, I made the transition to V-picks a couple years ago. I use the Jalapeno model, with the holes in it for electrics. For acoustics I used the heavy rounded, as I play bluegrass mostly. I love them. From what I can tell, I'll never wear 'em out...the issue has been losing one every now and again. But they are great picks for sure.
BGreene is offline Offline   Reply With Quote