Gibson & Epiphone Guitar Forum
Registered Member Login:
Not a member? Register today!

Welcome to the Gibson & Epiphone Guitar Forum.

You're going to love it here. We've got Gibson & Epiphone forums, member galleries, classified ads, and more for you here.
You can read posts as a guest but posting here requires registration. But, don't worry, registering is quick, easy and painless. Why not register today?

Notices

Mods and Tech Talk Talk "tech" and modding your Gibson, Epi or any other guitar here.

Old January 13th, 2012, 10:09 AM   #1 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

Epi Ultra-339 Setup

I have a new Epi Ultra-339 on the way. Do I need to replace the factory strings? With what? I have a Pocket Pod and a Fender Passport 300 system.
Which settings on the Pocket Pod and Passport would give me a Bonamassa-type sound?
I'll buy an LP Ultra 3 later.
Thanks

mdvga is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2012, 10:29 AM   #2 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvga View Post
I have a new Epi Ultra-339 on the way. Do I need to replace the factory strings? With what? I have a Pocket Pod and a Fender Passport 300 system.
Which settings on the Pocket Pod and Passport would give me a Bonamassa-type sound?
I'll buy an LP Ultra 3 later.
Thanks
Hi and welcome to this site.

Regarding on whether to replace the factory strings. You need to ask yourself why, not us.

Are the strings old?

Are they the standard gauge you use?

Are they the same as the make you use?

When I get a new guitar, I ask the first two questions and if the answers are No and Yes, I leave them alone. I normally only change strings, on new stuff, if they sound a bit dead or pitted. BTW I have a Gibson 339 and left the strings on when I bought it.

Regarding the second question, I have no idea. To me, the sound you get comes mainly from you and there are no 'magic' settings to achieve what you want. Just experiment with the sound that comes from you and the equipment you have.

Good luck
johnreardon is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2012, 10:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Historic

Hello and welcome.

Whenever I get a guitar, new or used, I always do my "routine" on it:

I put the guitar on my workbench and check the action and adjust it where I like.

I flip the guitar face down to clean and polish the back and sides. (GHS Guitar Gloss)

I tighten all the hardware on the back and sides.

Then I flip it over, and take off the strings.

I tighten all the hardware on the front, and adjust the tension on the tuners (when it's adjustable).

I polish the front and headstock.

I clean the frets, and oil the fretboard, (when appropriate).

I adjust the trussrod, (if needed. N.B - It should only need it on one occasion. It is not a thing that gets messed with on a regular basis at all.)

I lube the nut, put on new strings, and finally adjust the bridge saddles.

--------------------

This makes sure that everything is up to snuff and ready to go.

As far as a Bonamassa sound, he uses a variety of them. But I would start with a full, rich tone, and then make it loud...very.
Old January 15th, 2012, 07:59 AM   #4 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

My "new guitar" routine is similar to Joe-Bob's. Yes, I change strings immediately. The factory strings may be just fine (but probably not), but most guitars come shipped with 9's, which I don't care for. I use either 10's or 11's, depending on the scale length of the guitar. 10's on 25 1/2" scale (Fender), and 11's on 24 3/4' scale guitars (Gibson).

I will also adjust the truss rod, because I like my necks ruler flat. Most some from the factory with a bit of relief. I also like polished frets, so I'll do that before I install the new strings.

That having been said, if you like the factory strings, leave them on. But, strings are cheap, and new strings are one of the easiest ways to make sure your new guitar sounds its best.
LilRobben is offline Offline   Reply With Quote