Gibson & Epiphone Guitar Forum
Registered Member Login:
Not a member? Register today!

Welcome to the Gibson & Epiphone Guitar Forum.

You're going to love it here. We've got Gibson & Epiphone forums, member galleries, classified ads, and more for you here.
You can read posts as a guest but posting here requires registration. But, don't worry, registering is quick, easy and painless. Why not register today?

Notices

Mods and Tech Talk Talk "tech" and modding your Gibson, Epi or any other guitar here.

Old March 15th, 2017, 12:05 PM   #11 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

SAguitar:
Quote:
...there are guys like Eric Johnson that say they can hear the difference between different brands of batteries in their effects pedals!
He guested on a PBS Christopher Cross special the other night. He had a nice-looking (Daphne?) blue strat with a bound fingerboard. He was barely audible in the mix while comping, but played a typically inimitable E.J. solo. I suppose he may have very developed ears, but the notion that he can "hear" the difference things like batteries and finish thickness make (on solid body) guitars tests credibility.

MikeyH is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2017, 07:36 PM   #12 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

Eric has also said that he can hear the difference between guitar cords between his effects pedals. Maybe so, maybe not! But the guy can play!
Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.
SAguitar is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2017, 04:25 AM   #13 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAguitar View Post
Eric has also said that he can hear the difference between guitar cords between his effects pedals. Maybe so, maybe not! But the guy can play!
Yes he can play, but the sound that comes out of his amp, to me, is very much like bees buzzing.

It's too over processed; too many effects and to be honest for my ears is dreadful. I would like to hear his talent just plugged straight into a valve amp.

Perhaps he should change his batteries

http://www.thepiecesofmind.com/
johnreardon is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2017, 07:52 PM   #14 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

Ha-hah!

Another guy who has a great reputation that I cannot handle his tone is John McLaughlin.
Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.
SAguitar is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2017, 09:25 PM   #15 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

Think I agree

Yes! I think I agree with you Infant. I'm sure we "hear" what we want or believe we will hear or what magazines, gurus and so-called experts have come to believe. Different pots and their varying tapers and nominal value, leads and stray capacitances all over the place, yes it all makes a difference, especially to the highs. A damn good lead,(not too long) good jacks and connections probably make as much or more difference than a "make" of capacitor?
MickeyB is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2017, 06:21 AM   #16 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

I may be accused of heresy and burned at the stake, but a great player will sound great and create an atmosphere and energy in the crowd irrespective of minute adjustments to their tone, whether or not it's truly audible to them. And the average audience member won't even think about the guitarist's tone and whether it is "good" or not.

On the other hand, if it makes a guitarist feel better to have whatever taper pots he or she wants, and they want to have certain batteries in their FX, or certain leads, etc. well that's up to them. Some of this stuff is a bit ritualistic, a bit like Bjorn Borg never shaving during Wimbledon week. I remember reading how Steve Howe used to take a special big Persian carpet on tour with him to stand on on stage. I'm sure he could have played just as well on any stage in the world, but it just made him feel better and more secure.

Whatever magic feather works for you, I guess ....
Old March 17th, 2017, 09:23 AM   #17 (permalink)
Humbucker

My doubts about those small capacitors were about their reliability and longevity. I'm not trying to change the tone or looking for a magic feather.

Alan
2015 Fender Deluxe Roadhouse Strat
AlanBiker is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2017, 09:44 AM   #18 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanBiker View Post
My doubts about those small capacitors were about their reliability and longevity. I'm not trying to change the tone or looking for a magic feather.

Alan
there's no real voltage or current running thru them. How many old Fenders and Gibsons are out there with their original electronics? Ive got a 42yr old Tele with original electronics, well,... except for the pots.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
Infant is offline Offline   Reply With Quote