Gibson & Epiphone Guitar Forum
Registered Member Login:
Not a member? Register today!

Welcome to the Gibson & Epiphone Guitar Forum.

You're going to love it here. We've got Gibson & Epiphone forums, member galleries, classified ads, and more for you here.
You can read posts as a guest but posting here requires registration. But, don't worry, registering is quick, easy and painless. Why not register today?

Notices

Mods and Tech Talk Talk "tech" and modding your Gibson, Epi or any other guitar here.

Old March 5th, 2018, 05:29 PM   #11 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

Hello again.

To Jeffytune. It’s ok. I took your original post in the spirit it was intended. I took no offence by it; it is just my weird sense of humour that when I see the funny side of something I tend to prolong it. I’ve had many conversations over the years with Americans to know that words have different meanings and you need to be careful what to say. As Winston Churchill once said “Two Nations divided by a common language”. You say Toe-mate-toe, I say Tom-mar-toe.

Your suggestion about a re-set up is interesting. It is 52 years old and the only attention it has had is the strings being replaced every so often. I suppose when my kids come to sell it, it should be in its best condition. I’ll see if I can find somewhere that does it.

My only concern about you now is that you have been influenced by “Top Gear”. I hope your medical contributions are up to date as I believe that Psychiatric Treatment can be expensive in the US.

To Infant. Mmmm. Very interesting! I never new that. I have put it back together now and put it in the spare room in its case. I’m off to the “land of the brave” tomorrow (Tuesday) to see if I can get some heat into these old bones of mine so I’ll check it when I come back. If it is a single coil what difference would that make?

Thanks for your help all.

Old Codger

old codger is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2018, 09:12 PM   #12 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

That Okay Codger, I am a ASE Master technician, I know what they do on the show is wrong.

And I am afraid it is far worse then that, you see and a child, I grew up watching Monte Python's flying circus.
Jeffytune is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2018, 09:40 PM   #13 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

Quote:
Originally Posted by old codger View Post
If it is a single coil what difference would that make?
A single coil pickup will hum/buzz. Here in Canada and the US, it's 60 cycle hum. In the UK and Europe I believe it's 50 cycle hum. A humbucker eliminates the hum...hence the name "hum"bucker.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
Infant is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2018, 04:34 AM   #14 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

Hi Old Codger from another old codger living in Northants.

Being British (Welsh) I understood you perfectly. Those colonials who claim to speak English should go back to school

Even humbuckers will hum a bit and yes the hum will disappear when you touch the hardware on the guitar. I have 10 LPs and they all hum to a certain degree if I plug into a small amp in the house. At a gig, they work perfectly, so it could be anything (TVs, Fridges, etc) in my house that affects them

That's not to say that there isn't a problem on your guitar. If it was me, I would find a local tech who does setups and ask him/her to give it a full check out and set up.

I wouldn't bother with music shops as from my experience, the techs they use are not that good.

Good luck

http://www.thepiecesofmind.com/
johnreardon is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2018, 02:55 PM   #15 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

I've learned a lot from reading this thread, thanks everyone for sharing insights!
Epitune is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2018, 10:32 AM   #16 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

Hi Jeffytune,
Monty Python I can forgive. It shows a sophisticated sense of humour. This was in my heyday. My father used to look at me strangely when I sat there laughing my socks off. At least my son appreciates the show. Everybody applauds the Dead Parrot sketch as the best one but the one that cracks me up is the Race for People with No Sense of Direction.

Regards

Old Codger
old codger is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2018, 12:52 PM   #17 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

Ahhhh...Monty Python....Ministry of Funny Walks, The Argument Sketch and my favourite (since I'm Canadian) "Oh, I'm a lumberjack and I'm okay..."
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lumberjack.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	3472  

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
Infant is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2018, 02:36 PM   #18 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

Mine has to be "How not to be seen".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTQYEkIvN2M
Old March 11th, 2018, 03:52 AM   #19 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

Quote:
the one that cracks me up is the Race for People with No Sense of Direction.

Regards

Old Codger
Or the race for people wh think they are chickens, or people with weak bladder..

If Monty Python was music, what would it sound like?

"Faintly related" to topic...removed my stringbuzz yesterday by exchanging the factory strings on my LP (Epi) with Elixir 10-52's. Lowered the action a lot, another tuneup, guitar in tune for 24 hours and no buzz. Today is gonna be a fiiiine day!
Epitune is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2018, 04:29 AM   #20 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

Quote:
If Monty Python was music, what would it sound like?
Spike Jones.