Gibson & Epiphone Guitar Forum
Registered Member Login:
Not a member? Register today!

Welcome to the Gibson & Epiphone Guitar Forum.

You're going to love it here. We've got Gibson & Epiphone forums, member galleries, classified ads, and more for you here.
You can read posts as a guest but posting here requires registration. But, don't worry, registering is quick, easy and painless. Why not register today?

Notices

Other Gibson Solid Bodies Forum for SG, Firebirds, V's, Explorers, Specials, Jrs, Melody Makers -- everything solid body except the classic Les Paul.

Old August 10th, 2014, 10:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Historic

Are DIY guitar kits worth the money?

I plan on getting another guitar in the future when I have some money saved up and I started to look at DIY guitar kits on Ebay and I like what I've seen so far. I like the idea of them because It'll basically be my own custom guitar and I bet I could learn something from the experience of putting it together and learning how to solder all the connections and setting it up. Are these kits worth the money or are they crap? Here's a link to the kit that has caught my eye: http://www.ebay.com/itm/DIY-Build-Yo...f34da#shpCntId

Old August 10th, 2014, 10:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

Save your money. I believe Guitar Fetish carries these in the USA. They are pretty low quality with low quality components. Resale value would be nil. Better off to buy an entry level Epi or Squier and mod it to your hearts' desire. Change the electronics, tweak the truss rod, shim the neck, change parts, etc. If you ever sell it you can substitute the original parts back in and keep the better parts for your next guitar or sell them off individually. Just my opinion....
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
Infant is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2014, 11:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
Historic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infant View Post
Save your money. I believe Guitar Fetish carries these in the USA. They are pretty low quality with low quality components. Resale value would be nil. Better off to buy an entry level Epi or Squier and mod it to your hearts' desire. Change the electronics, tweak the truss rod, shim the neck, change parts, etc. If you ever sell it you can substitute the original parts back in and keep the better parts for your next guitar or sell them off individually. Just my opinion....
The kits at guitar fetish look nice but sadly they don't have the Les Paul Jr design and that is the one that has really caught my eye.
Old August 11th, 2014, 10:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
Historic

If you are looking for a Les Paul Jr design, take a look at some of the Melody Makers from Gibson. I have a 2004 Melody Maker with a single P-90 as well as a tune-o-matic bridge and stop tailpiece, its in my avatar.

Its sweet and mellow at low gain and screams at higher gain-and its very lightweight.

Here is a photo of the 2004 Melody Maker.

I have built several kit guitars and all of them worked well for me, this Telecaster is one of my favorites and I use it quite a lot at gigs and practice.
The main thing in building a kit is to have access to a paint booth to avoid the nasty paint fumes.

Anfontan's Tunes
anfontan is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2014, 11:51 AM   #5 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

I stopped in at Guitar Center in Buffalo on my way from vacation and they had Epi LP Juniors for about $120 US. I can't remember the exact price and the links below automatically convert to Canadian $ here in Canada.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone...38-i1150104.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone...70-i2101227.gc

Like I said, start with this and upgrade as you see fit.

PS: They also had Squier Telecasters for under $100 US. Almost bought myself one to convert to an Esquire
Old August 11th, 2014, 01:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanraul View Post
.. Are these kits worth the money or are they crap? [/url]
It depends on what you are looking for. If you want to have a go at eventually building your own guitar, then starting with a kit is a good place to start.

If you are trying to get a useable guitar on the cheap, then as others suggest, there are perhaps 'better' ways such as buying an Epi or Squier and maybe modding.

The thing to remember with any of these kits or even do it yourself guitars is that you will never recoup your money. Even a modded Epi or Squier will never pay for itself if you try to sell it. Most people see 'mods' as being a negative thing.

A couple of years ago I bought a Baja Tele with the intention of using it as a test bed for changing pickups and other bits. When I got it, the pickups were too good to change, so I only ended up changing the bridge. Luckily I didn't loose too much when I sold the thing

Unless you want to learn bits about guitar building I would forget it and save up for what you really want. You are young enough.

http://www.thepiecesofmind.com/
johnreardon is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2014, 05:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

My strat is a "partscaster". Stew-Mac body and neck, Fender neckplate, knobs, hardtail bridge, pickguard and tuners, CTS pots, CRL switch, switchcraft jack and Seymour Duncan Vintage pickups. Cost me about $550 to build and I'd be lucky to get $150 if I ever sold it. (no intention of selling though) When I built it, I could have bought a MIM Fender Strat for under $400 and it had most of the same parts as the one I built, but at least it would have been a REAL Fender with some resale value.
When you buy Squiers and Epis, you've got a good building block and you can learn about adjustments on them before you screw around with a high end guitar. Again, my opinion.
Old August 11th, 2014, 08:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

I have a Tele that I built from parts that is a primo guitar, but it wouldn't sell for anywhere near its worth. That's just the facts with a built guitar. I didn't scrimp on anything with it so it did cost a decent amount. But it came out a great player and I'll never sell it. I did learn a lot building it, but I had already been doing a lot of modding before that.

Take these guys' advice, they know what they're talkin' about.
Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.
SAguitar is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2014, 05:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

I bought a Tele kit, Sprayed it and rubbed it back to emulate a Joe Strummer telecaster. Put it together and it was pants. So took it to local music shop who skimmed the frets, adjusted the tailpiece and re wired it for £60. It plays and sounds like a dream. As good as any fender. I also own a 71 LP custom, an explorer, a stagg flying v and a yamaha strat. It plays better than any of these.
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1408316072527.jpg
Views:	504
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	1984Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1408316083278.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	1985
nick.west.9212 is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2014, 10:16 PM   #10 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

Nick, that's a great lookin' Tele!
Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.
SAguitar is offline Offline   Reply With Quote