Gibson & Epiphone Guitar Forum
Registered Member Login:
Not a member? Register today!

Welcome to the Gibson & Epiphone Guitar Forum.

You're going to love it here. We've got Gibson & Epiphone forums, member galleries, classified ads, and more for you here.
You can read posts as a guest but posting here requires registration. But, don't worry, registering is quick, easy and painless. Why not register today?

Notices

Other Gibson Solid Bodies Forum for SG, Firebirds, V's, Explorers, Specials, Jrs, Melody Makers -- everything solid body except the classic Les Paul.

Old January 12th, 2010, 07:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

exp 425

i am a new member and i need info on my 85 exp 425 .like how many were made and for how long. mine has two single coils and a dirty finger pick up .locking nut kahler trem, two knobs three switches. one knob is a boost switch. its a great guitar but i cant find any info on it . thanks

david fowler is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2010, 07:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

JUst curious, David. What is an 'exp 425'? Pics? IS it a Gibson guitar? Unknown to me...
Wally is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2010, 05:25 AM   #3 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

its is a gibson explorer yhat has two single coils one dirty fingers pickup. a locking nut, kahler trimalo. im not sure how long they were made or how many mine is black, has two knobs three switches one knob is a boost switch. its a real nice guitar screams. there are photos of some of my guitars on the photo section 2. ill post photos of the exp in a day or so
Old January 16th, 2010, 12:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

Okay, the Gruhn/Carter book lists it....made only in 1986 according to them. How many????
That switch won't be a 'boost' switch unless that guitar has active electronics, which the Gruhn/Carter book does not make note of. IS there a battery???
If there is no battery, then that switch probably has to do with phasing between pickups or it is a coil cut switch for the humbucker. ONE would have to start investigating what pickups are on line when and what goes on with the switches to understand that. You can tap with a magnetically active screwdrive to start to analyze the selection of pups and such. I see that the guitar has 3 mini switches. These are pup switches. They will select on and off for the pickups...one switch per pickup.....and possibly deal with coil cut and phase relationships. How many positions on each switch?
Old January 16th, 2010, 05:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

only up and down .i just took photos which i will post. thanks for the input this is a strange gibson but i like it .the serial#82405521. i have been having a hard time just finding some one who knows about these guitare were they only made one year or what
Old January 16th, 2010, 07:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

Well, as I noted, the Gruhn/Carter book says they were built only in '86. Your serial number shows that guitar to have been stamped on the 240th day of 1985 in Nashville, TN. IT woudl be odd if it wasn't shipped before the end of that year, wouldn't it?
I assume that the switches turn the pickups on and off??? I am going to think that if you turn only the bridge pickup on, you will be able to discern that the push/pull knob takes the bridge humbucker from a series humbucker to either a single coil or a parallel humbucker...probably a single coil. The 'boost' you perceive is simply the power of the series humbucker compared to the other position on the bridge pup there or either of the two single coils.
Do this....select on ly the bridge pup. Tap lightly the poles when the knob is in the most powerful selection. Both rows of poelpieces will yield loud sounds when contacted with something that is magnetically reactive like a screwdriver blade. Then, pull or push that knob switch. IT is very likely that one row of polepieces will greatly diminish in the sond that occurs when tapped versus the other row which will remain the same as before the switch was pulled..or pushed. IF so, then a coil has been cut out of the circuit....and you will hear a hum that is like the hum from the single coil pups. IF both rows still yield equal sounds, then the pickup has been switch to parallel humbucking, which will yield a sound that is simular to a single coil pup.
Old January 16th, 2010, 08:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

thanks i ve got photos that i will put up soon you have been a great help. i guess odd ball gibson is where this on belongs but its such a nice guitar. thanks agian so very much
Old January 16th, 2010, 08:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

there is another exp on ebay with one day left its just like mine except mines not a second
Old January 17th, 2010, 07:18 AM   #9 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

i posted the exp photos have fun