Gibson & Epiphone Guitar Forum
Registered Member Login:
Not a member? Register today!

Welcome to the Gibson & Epiphone Guitar Forum.

You're going to love it here. We've got Gibson & Epiphone forums, member galleries, classified ads, and more for you here.
You can read posts as a guest but posting here requires registration. But, don't worry, registering is quick, easy and painless. Why not register today?

Notices

Other Gibson Solid Bodies Forum for SG, Firebirds, V's, Explorers, Specials, Jrs, Melody Makers -- everything solid body except the classic Les Paul.

Old February 5th, 2017, 11:11 AM   #1 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

Planning my next purchase... Which SG would you recommend?

Hi guys!

So, I have been a "Fender-guy" all my life, but I really really want to to get an SG as my next purchase...

Which would be a very very nice one for me to get? I'm guessing, I can aim at getting the model that's one or two steps above, overall quality-wise, from the "Standard".

Nothing too fancy, vintage spec'ed, or crazy-expensive. So, no need for a "Premium SG" or "Custom", I can't really afford.

Just a "regular SG" that's worthy of leaving for your kids and that will keep its value... Keeping the value is really important. Also, it MUST be available in CREAM color.

Let me know which are my options. Any and all thoughts welcomed!

Thanks in advance!

Greetings,

Daniel

matarroano is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2017, 09:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

Hah! Well Gibson doesn't make too many in what you might call a Cream color, so that limits your choices right away. What we usually tell everybody is something like, "Get out there and play as many as you can, and sooner or later one will demand that you take it home."

I can tell you that at one time I had my heart set on a Strat in a certain color. But after trying out a bunch of them I ended up with an Olympic White Strat that is a great guitar. Plus, it seems like I never fail to get compliments on that Strat whenever I take it out.
Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.
SAguitar is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2017, 12:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

I don't know about colors, but I agree with SAguitar that you don't see too many in cream....unless you get a white one and wait 40 years for it to get a nice cream color I have owned at least 10 SG's of all stripes. I guess if I had to pick one to buy and could only have one, I'd buy a Standard. Having said that, I have had some Specials that were great (faded and not). I also had an SG-1 with one hot pickup, which was a great solid rock guitar. Just look around on the net, see what interests you...or try a bunch out and see what sings to you. Good luck.
Old February 8th, 2017, 05:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

Hey guys!

Thanks for your replies.

So, yes, CREAM, I wan't it CREAM. A CREAM SG!!! I'll try as many guitars as possible but... CREAM it is!!! )) Which are the available CREAM colored models? Which are the best ones considering I only want to pay around $1300-$1500 tops?

I find the site difficult to navigate and filter results "by color" so... I need a little help! I'm sure, I'm not getting all the possible results with me Google'ing "cream gibson sg"....

Thanks in advance!
Old February 8th, 2017, 10:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

You're not getting many results because to my recollection, Gibson doesn't make SGs in Cream. The closest I can remember is white, they do make them in white. I imagine your best shot would be to find one that plays and sounds really good to you, and then refinish in your dream color!

Otherwise, you would most likely find one in Cream, and then it would be a bummer with a twisted neck or something else that you don't want.
Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.
SAguitar is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2017, 02:21 AM   #6 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

Quote:
Originally Posted by matarroano View Post
Hey guys!

Thanks for your replies.

So, yes, CREAM, I wan't it CREAM. A CREAM SG!!! I'll try as many guitars as possible but... CREAM it is!!! )) Which are the available CREAM colored models? Which are the best ones considering I only want to pay around $1300-$1500 tops?

I find the site difficult to navigate and filter results "by color" so... I need a little help! I'm sure, I'm not getting all the possible results with me Google'ing "cream gibson sg"....

Thanks in advance!
Have you tried contacting Gibson and asking them?

http://www.thepiecesofmind.com/
johnreardon is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2017, 12:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Historic

Several years ago I was looking for a Epi G400 in red. After looking for a used G400, I decided on a Black one and I have never regreted my choice.

The guitar is light and sturdy and stays in tune great, and I give it a beating all the time!

I hope you find the SG in Cream you are hoping for but the SG or G400 in any color will make you happy.

Tony

Anfontan's Tunes
anfontan is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2017, 04:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnreardon View Post
Have you tried contacting Gibson and asking them?
Yeah!!! I just did.

Thanks everyone for your replies!
Old February 11th, 2017, 03:54 AM   #9 (permalink)
Historic

My Gibson SG is a 2012 Classic which I think they don't make that exact one anymore. Only mod I did on it was put a B5 Bigsby and a TonePro TPR6 roller bridge......Might have a bit of a search to find a cream colored one but I would go straight to Gibson and ask them so as to know if any were made in prior years, and for a possible new one. Good lucky on your search and keep us updated......................
Billy C is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2017, 03:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

I too am a Strat guy and find Gibsons worn and satin finishes feel best coming from 20 years of preferring oiled or satin and unpainted necks.. so I suggest the Faded or the Special.. I have one of each and I love them

'11 Ibanez SR500
'15 Fender American Standard Strat
'16 Gibson SG Faded Special
'16 Squier Classic Vibe Tele
'17 Gibson Les Paul Tribute HP
'17 Gibson SG Special
YOSTINATOR is offline Offline   Reply With Quote