Gibson & Epiphone Guitar Forum
Registered Member Login:
Not a member? Register today!

Welcome to the Gibson & Epiphone Guitar Forum.

You're going to love it here. We've got Gibson & Epiphone forums, member galleries, classified ads, and more for you here.
You can read posts as a guest but posting here requires registration. But, don't worry, registering is quick, easy and painless. Why not register today?

Notices

Other Gibson Solid Bodies Forum for SG, Firebirds, V's, Explorers, Specials, Jrs, Melody Makers -- everything solid body except the classic Les Paul.

Old February 9th, 2017, 02:22 AM   #1 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

Les Paul CM Black—setup?

Hello everyone. New here. Name's Victor nice to meet you all. Mexican, 25y/o, living in Japan, bedroom guitarist.

I just got one of these. http://www.gibson.com/Products/Elect...-CM-Black.aspx

It's my second electric and first over $500 guitar overall. It came with all the Gibson paraphernalia like warranty and tools and even a picture of inspection. It's been too much for my cheap soul.

I just want to gather any tips about the set up. I'm no rookie either, but I've been playing the same Epiphone Standard for ten years and never took setup and adjustments so seriously (and even then it still plays damn good after a decade).

I've adjusted the tuning and understand the FRX mechanism generally. I know how to adjust the tremolo and action and fine tune it.

But... any tips on intonation, truss rod adjustment, general LP set up stuff? I'm a bit overwhelmed and want to take real good care of this beastie.

And lastly, is it true that they only made 600 of these? Anybody can verify this?

Thanks a bunch good people.

WULFRM is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2017, 09:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator
Historic

Hi and welcome to Gibson-Talk.

Wow, that is an unconventional LP to say the least. An LP with a Floyd Rose bridge and looking nut is something I've never seen. Perhaps (?) someone else here will have some advice for you but I'm guessing it's not something many of our other members have much experience with. Hopefully, I'm wrong.

It is a limited edition model for 2016. So, it could be just 600 made. Keep in mind they can always do it again for 2017 if if was popular. So, it may not stay as limited as it was last year.

I'd expect the the Truss Rod doesn't need much fooling around with if you just got the guitar - unless someone owned the guitar first and did some fooling around on his own.

It's not a "general LP" what with the SG-thin body, the composite fret board and modern Floyd-Rose system. If you "know how to adjust the trem and action" you're pretty far along.

You didn't mention being a Metal player - is that why you bought this model?
Old February 9th, 2017, 12:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

Hi Victor and welcome. I once set up a friends guitar with a Floyd rose.....once. Took me forever because I had never worked on one before and there were too many "moving" parts. I just stick to my hardtail Gibbys and Fenders. Sorry that I cant help. Biddlin on this forum is a tech, hopefully he'll stop by soon.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
Infant is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2017, 03:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibson-Talk View Post
Hi and welcome to Gibson-Talk.

Wow, that is an unconventional LP to say the least. An LP with a Floyd Rose bridge and looking nut is something I've never seen. Perhaps (?) someone else here will have some advice for you but I'm guessing it's not something many of our other members have much experience with. Hopefully, I'm wrong.

It is a limited edition model for 2016. So, it could be just 600 made. Keep in mind they can always do it again for 2017 if if was popular. So, it may not stay as limited as it was last year.

I'd expect the the Truss Rod doesn't need much fooling around with if you just got the guitar - unless someone owned the guitar first and did some fooling around on his own.

It's not a "general LP" what with the SG-thin body, the composite fret board and modern Floyd-Rose system. If you "know how to adjust the trem and action" you're pretty far along.

You didn't mention being a Metal player - is that why you bought this model?

Thanks for the advice and the welcome.

I was looking for a mid—range Gibson. I saw it first at a store in Tokyo standing weirdly out between some traditionals and thought it damned cool, though at the time I was considering buying a Studio. I loved the look and the fact that it's unusual and original and might even have a unique heavy sound, but I'm not a metal guitarist. I am a hard rocker, Page, Hendrix, Zappa, that bunch, though I do love playing Tool.

Of course, when I went back to a store and played it I did fall in love. It's very light and the locking mechanism wasn't as complicated as I expected. I also like the option of the trem bar, even though I don't use it that much.

Owning it for one week now I can say that I love how light it is, but most of all, the locking mech. It really stays in tune after a good bluesy beating. It's designed to stay in tune when abusing the tremolo I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infant
Hi Victor and welcome. I once set up a friends guitar with a Floyd rose.....once. Took me forever because I had never worked on one before and there were too many "moving" parts. I just stick to my hardtail Gibbys and Fenders. Sorry that I cant help. Biddlin on this forum is a tech, hopefully he'll stop by soon.
Thanks for the welcome! Hopefully he will drop and say hi.
WULFRM is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2017, 09:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

Welcome to Gibson-Talk! Yeah, that is an unusual LP, may you play it long and loud. Personally, I'm not a trem guy. I tried them for awhile when they first became the rage and it just wasn't for me. I have had to learn to work on them, since I do work on friends' guitars and they come in once in awhile. Those things can be crazy to get adjusted, but once they are, they do tend to stay solidly in tune.
Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.
SAguitar is offline Offline   Reply With Quote