Gibson & Epiphone Guitar Forum
Registered Member Login:
Not a member? Register today!

Welcome to the Gibson & Epiphone Guitar Forum.

You're going to love it here. We've got Gibson & Epiphone forums, member galleries, classified ads, and more for you here.
You can read posts as a guest but posting here requires registration. But, don't worry, registering is quick, easy and painless. Why not register today?

Notices

Other Gibson Solid Bodies Forum for SG, Firebirds, V's, Explorers, Specials, Jrs, Melody Makers -- everything solid body except the classic Les Paul.

Old April 10th, 2017, 11:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

Price of 2008 SG Classic back then?

Anybody know how I can find out what Gibson's suggested/MSRP was for this SG back in 2008? I'd also like to know what Guitar Center was selling it for back then too.

I'm considering buying one in excellent condition from someone (first owner). He wants $1,100 for it and I'm not sure if that is fair or not. (Right now Gibson suggests $1,199 for the current 2016 SG Standard, and Guitar Center offers it for $999.) Basically, I'd be paying this guy $1,100 bucks for an SG Classic that is 9 years old, when I can get a brand new SG Standard for $1,000. Not sure what the quality difference would be... which one is a better guitar. (Also I think the Standard is a senior model to the Classic. Right?)

Can anyone offer any data on those earlier prices, or advice?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by alfie; April 11th, 2017 at 08:43 PM.
alfie is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2017, 02:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

I'd point out to him what they are going for brand new now and offer him less. He maybe has an inflated view of what it's worth. Explain to him that 9 years isn't enough to make it vintage!
Old April 11th, 2017, 02:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

Turns out the MSRP for the 2008 Classic was $1537. The current one has an MSRP of $1199. So maybe this older one was of a higher quality?
Old April 11th, 2017, 03:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfie View Post
Turns out the MSRP for the 2008 Classic was $1537. The current one has an MSRP of $1199. So maybe this older one was of a higher quality?
Not necessarily. I'd go new and get the lifetime warranty myself.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
Infant is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2017, 08:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

Hmmm... didn't know that Gibson gave a lifetime warranty on a newly purchased guitar. That is something to consider. Someone told me on another forum that the quality between these two guitars is equal. Now I just need to find out what the neck thickness is at 1st and 12th fret, and what the nut width is on the 2008 Classic (Gibson Cust Serv hasn't answered this question for me yet) so I can see if it is the same as this 2016 SG Standard). Another point is that this 2008 Classic has dot inlays and a hard case (which I prefer), whereas the current Standard has trapezoid inlays and a gig bag.
Old April 11th, 2017, 10:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

Do the actual dimensions really matter? I kinda go by feel. I wrap my hands around and play. I have no idea what the neck dimensions are on all my guitars.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
Infant is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2017, 01:27 AM   #7 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

I just don't happen to like thinner necks, like the SG Naked has for example. I like the thicker necks because my fretting hand gets tired and doesn't feel comfortable with real small thin necks. Up to this time I've only played a Fender Tele... with the old thick baseball bat neck. And I play a lot of acoustic, a D-18 Martin with a nice fat neck. So the dimensions do matter to me to a degree.
Old April 12th, 2017, 08:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

I used to think that same way about necks, Alfie. Except that I've always been prone to like the thinner Gibson necks, like what they call the '60s neck shape. But I have guitars now with all kinds of different shapes and sizes and I am comfortable on all of them. Actually I can play one of mine that I don't particularly love the shape of the neck and within 15-20 minutes the neck doesn't matter, 'cause I'm focused on the music, the notes, and the tone!
Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.
SAguitar is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2017, 08:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

I can see that. Hey, if I get handed a guitar and that is the only one I can play... well then, I'll learn to play with it. But for me, the most significant and deciding factor about a guitar is the playability (shape of neck, neck radius, very low action). I've been most impressed by the 12" radius and super low action of the Gibson Les Paul (stopped me instantly from being a Fender guy; that 7.25" radius just doesn't work for me). Don't care much about looks, tone or anything else. Can always make a guitar sound better by upgrading the electronics and switching out the pickups... but mostly with my hands and my touch. As long as it resonates/vibrates nicely when unplugged, I can make it sound good.