Gibson & Epiphone Guitar Forum
Registered Member Login:
Not a member? Register today!

Welcome to the Gibson & Epiphone Guitar Forum.

You're going to love it here. We've got Gibson & Epiphone forums, member galleries, classified ads, and more for you here.
You can read posts as a guest but posting here requires registration. But, don't worry, registering is quick, easy and painless. Why not register today?

Notices

Other Gibson Solid Bodies Forum for SG, Firebirds, V's, Explorers, Specials, Jrs, Melody Makers -- everything solid body except the classic Les Paul.

Old April 11th, 2017, 04:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

Brand new SG Standard P90 2016 T VERSUS Used SG Classic 2008

Dear experienced SG experts:

It’s come down to this choice for me. I haven’t been able to inspect either of them. But I read a review on the Guitar Center website where a guy had the 2016 SG Standard and a 2006 SG Classic both to hand to compare, and he went for the 2006 Classic because the quality was soooo much better.)

So, from a general viewpoint… considering that the neck specs are the same (thickness and nut width)… which one of these (Brand new SG Standard P90 2016 T VERSUS Used 2008 SG Classic) would have the higher quality, craftmanship and construction? I know they are different models. Another way of asking this question would be… was Gibson’s quality better THEN or NOW on their SGs?

Thanks in advance,
Alfred

alfie is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2017, 03:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

Alfie

I would forget this nonsense that is often talked about on the web about quality being better in particular years. All manufacturers can have good and bad days in any year. In the numerous decades I have been playing the quality of musical equipment has improved, but you can still get the occasional issue.

The best way to compare guitars is to play them yourself if you can. If you can't then if it was me, I would go for the new model rather than the used one. The guitars you read about in a review are not the ones you want to buy.

Good luck

http://www.thepiecesofmind.com/
johnreardon is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2017, 11:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

You are probably correct John. Especially with computers and digital tech (PLEK, etc.) I think the necks are more accurate and better than ever (relief, frets, intonation). The electronics are of higher quality, (pickups, pots, caps, etc.). I might just go with the new one (and a lifetime warranty). Probably the best choice.
Old April 12th, 2017, 12:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

For every single bad review on a guitar, there are 999 people that have great guitars and have never done a review of it. Then you have to determine if the reviewer is just a newbie excited with his new purchase or pi$$ed off because it doesn't make him sound like Jimmy Page.

Just go and try them out. Then buy the one that speaks to you. Like you said, and I've mentioned it here on numerous occasions, the necks, fret slots and body blanks are precision cut, drilled and shaped by CNC. Pickups are wound on automated coil winders. Frets are "PLEKKED". The only variances are in the tonewoods and the final finishing and polishing. Otherwise, the guitars should basically be clones of one another.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
Infant is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2017, 08:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

True, true, and true. The only way to know if you're going to bond with a guitar is to play it. Get out there and try some out, and don't stop until you find The One. It's out there.
All this internet stuff is fun, but and we can whup these topics ad infinitum, but it basically comes down to something Frank Zappa once said, "Talking about music is like dancing about architecture."
Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.
SAguitar is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2017, 05:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

Thanks boys. I'm going to go to a Guitar Center or two that each as a few of these SG P90s and try them all out in order to pick a winner. I agree with Infant: the wood and finishing are almost the only variable now. Knowing if the neck wood, body wood and the join is the best is easily determined by play the guitar unplugged, listening for the sustain and balance and also feeling the vibration/resonance. (I'd prefer a nice solid single chunk of mahogany for the body but I think the bodies of these newer less expensive SGs are composed of 3 pieces of wood.)
Old April 15th, 2017, 10:31 AM   #7 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

IMHO, with a solid body guitar, a glue joint of two will not make any noticeable sonic difference. While it may be more pleasing to look at a single piece body, it has long been a practice to glue together a few pieces to form one. And this is not limited to the less expensive models. Most of my guitars are laminated, except for a couple I made from parts, where I spent extra to get a one-piece body.

May you find your Number One!
Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.
SAguitar is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2017, 01:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
Humbucker

I own a 2008 Classic and have played a '16 Standard P-90, just last week. The quality of the Standard I played was very very good. I would say that the '08 Classic neck "feels" fatter.
Biddlin is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2017, 08:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

Thanks Biddlin. Good to know that the quality on the newer SG is good.