Gibson & Epiphone Guitar Forum
Registered Member Login:
Not a member? Register today!

Welcome to the Gibson & Epiphone Guitar Forum.

You're going to love it here. We've got Gibson & Epiphone forums, member galleries, classified ads, and more for you here.
You can read posts as a guest but posting here requires registration. But, don't worry, registering is quick, easy and painless. Why not register today?

Notices

Other Gibson Solid Bodies Forum for SG, Firebirds, V's, Explorers, Specials, Jrs, Melody Makers -- everything solid body except the classic Les Paul.

Old April 16th, 2017, 02:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

SG - a difference in how pickups mounted?

SG Experts:
I was told by a friend that the SGs with the HALF pick guard has the pickups mounted fully and deeply into the wood of the body… while the SGs with the FULL pick guard are not as deeply mounted into the wood of the body and are mounted in or on the pickguard. Is this true?

Thanks in advance.

alfie is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2017, 11:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

The 60s style with the smaller pickguard has the pickups mounted on individual mounting rings, like on a Les Paul, but on the large pickguard models they are mounted in the same way, but on the pickguard itself. I don't think either version is mounted to the wood of the body.

P90s are a different matter. Some are the soapbar type mounted on the pickguard, others are the dog-ear type mounted to the body itself, like this one:

Old April 17th, 2017, 04:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

Oops! I wasn't clear in my first statement. I was only talking about SGs with P90s. So is this correct... the SGs with P90 soapbar pickups have them mounted on the pickguard? And, only the earlier SGs with dog-ear P90s have them mounted onto the body?

I wonder if there is a major difference in sound or sustain on a guitar with the soapbars mounted on the pickguard vs one with the dogears mounted into and on the actual body?
Old April 17th, 2017, 09:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

A lot of P90s are mounted with two long screws through the pickups that screw into the body on the back of the pickup cavity.

I don't think there is any measurable or audibly discernible difference due to how the pickups are mounted. The pickups are there to sense a magnetic field over their magnets that are created by the strings motion. This field is turned into a very small electric signal and sent down the wires towards the the amplifier.
Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.
SAguitar is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2017, 11:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

Yea, I'm sure you're right. I've gotten too significant in my quest to buy my first SG. The simple truth is: it doesn't matter how the pickups are mounted; the guitar either sounds really good or it doesn't. Thanks.
Old April 18th, 2017, 08:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

That's just it, bud, if it floats your boat you will know it. If not, move on to the next one until you strike gold.
Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.
SAguitar is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2017, 02:06 AM   #7 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

I guess how the pickups are mounted will make a tiny difference, but not one you're going to hear. We're getting into Eric Jonhnson territory.

Les Paul's original quest to produce a solid body was to minimise the movement of the pickup relative to the strings that you get if you mount the pickup on a vibrating top. You might be able to argue that if the pickup is screwed directly to the body it will vibrate less than if it's hanging from springs on a pickup ring or scratchplate, but I think the difference is more theoretical than audible.

Although it could explain why my SG Junior kicks ass ....
Old April 19th, 2017, 03:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screaming Dave View Post
I guess how the pickups are mounted will make a tiny difference, but not one you're going to hear. We're getting into Eric Jonhnson territory.

Les Paul's original quest to produce a solid body was to minimise the movement of the pickup relative to the strings that you get if you mount the pickup on a vibrating top. You might be able to argue that if the pickup is screwed directly to the body it will vibrate less than if it's hanging from springs on a pickup ring or scratchplate, but I think the difference is more theoretical than audible.

Although it could explain why my SG Junior kicks ass ....
Yeah, a single P90 dog-ear pickup, mounted into the body, might be the winning combo and why your geetar sounds so good. 2 or 3 pickups create a situation with a lot of magnetics effecting the strings and a pickup mounted right onto the body and out of touch with any pickguard could be making a nuanced difference in a positive direction..