Gibson & Epiphone Guitar Forum
Registered Member Login:
Not a member? Register today!

Welcome to the Gibson & Epiphone Guitar Forum.

You're going to love it here. We've got Gibson & Epiphone forums, member galleries, classified ads, and more for you here.
You can read posts as a guest but posting here requires registration. But, don't worry, registering is quick, easy and painless. Why not register today?

Notices

Other Gibson Solid Bodies Forum for SG, Firebirds, V's, Explorers, Specials, Jrs, Melody Makers -- everything solid body except the classic Les Paul.

Old August 8th, 2017, 08:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

Replacement guitar strings for Flying V

Hi all,

I am looking to buy some space guitar strings so that I can have them on hand in the event that I break a string. In the Gibson manual, it mentions to only use Gibson brand strings but no specifics other than 10-46 range that it says comes standard from the factory. Ok, so Gibson makes guitar strings and I found one called Humbucker Special Electric 10-46 strings.

My question is thus:

1. Have you used non-Gibson strings in the 10-46 with your Gibson guitars and if so, what brands and types work well?

2. Why would you buy Gibson specific replacement strings and if so, what kind for the Flying V and humbucker guitars?

socaldreamer is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2017, 03:25 AM   #2 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

Most guitar string makes will work on any guitar. I find that Fender Bullets work better on Strats, as the bullet end fits better in the trem block. Apart from that just use what strings you like. Experiment.

Of course Gibson and other manufacturers will try to make you buy their branded makes, most of which are probably made by the same manufacturers

Yes, I have used non Gibson on my guitars, but I actually do like the ones you mention.

http://www.thepiecesofmind.com/
johnreardon is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2017, 12:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

Nice well I think that I will use the Gibson Humbucker ones on my new V when the time comes. Pricewise not much different that D'addario and Ernie Ball.
socaldreamer is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2017, 04:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

My LP Melody Maker came with Cleartone 10s from the factory. They were very nice and lively. I can't seem to find them around town so I've gone back to my old faithful, Daddario. I've also tried the standard Gibson strings and Rotosounds. Didn't find much difference from the Daddarios.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
Infant is online now Online   Reply With Quote