Gibson & Epiphone Guitar Forum
Registered Member Login:
Not a member? Register today!

Welcome to the Gibson & Epiphone Guitar Forum.

You're going to love it here. We've got Gibson & Epiphone forums, member galleries, classified ads, and more for you here.
You can read posts as a guest but posting here requires registration. But, don't worry, registering is quick, easy and painless. Why not register today?

Notices

Other Guitars Got a Tokai or Agile? Some other LP or ES Copy? What to discuss Strats and Teles? It doesn't have to resemble a Gibson to be discussed, but if it does that's even better.

Old November 15th, 2015, 11:48 AM   #1 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

First guitar I ever owned

Just saw this on Kijiji this morning. It's the same model (if not the same guitar) as the first guitar that I ever owned. Very rare sighting as I've only seen one other one in the last 45 years and that was about 5 years ago in a local music store. I tried it out and it played pretty good for a Japanese guitar from this era. Back then they were asking $150. I tried to buy it for nostalgia purposes if they would have accepted $100, but they refused. This guy is asking $300 firm so, I'll wait for another to pop up eventually. Obviously trying to cash in on its vintage "kitschy" vibe.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-guitar/hamilt...ationFlag=true

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
Infant is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2015, 01:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
Historic

My first guitar was a Stella that my dad bought for me. Saw one exactly like it in Nashville a few years ago at the country hall of fame museum with the name 0f Chet Atkins on the display. It was Chet's first guitar............
Billy C is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2015, 11:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

Searching around on Kijiji today, I see my old Howard Roberts again!!! Third time in the last year, same guy trying to sell it. Starting to wonder if its karma...it wants to come home. Not having the cash, I offered him my ES137 in a trade and he is thinking about it...then, so am I.
Not sure it I really want to do this. Both are beautiful in their own way. I like the sound of them both. Always found the HRF neck to be chunky but then so is the ES137. The 137 is heavier but the HR center block is balsa vs manogany. What should I do?
Old November 24th, 2015, 09:58 AM   #4 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

I think it's time to invite Howard to your house. Seeing it three times is no coincidence...it misses you!
Old November 24th, 2015, 10:08 AM   #5 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

Just got an email from the seller. Decided he doesnt want to trade....d@mn! Can't afford to bring Howard home. Gotta save my gig money for the next while and see if he shows up again next spring.
Old September 5th, 2016, 09:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

I saw the same electric guitar as my first electric I owned on ebay a couple weeks ago. Pan, Japanese made SG copy for $185 USD. I remember that my mom paid $300 for the guitar, an amp, cords and a mxr distortion box...used. I wanted to buy it just to hang it on the wall, but I want a couple of other pieces of gear more right now. I'll see another one again, there's no shortage of guitars for sale in the world.
I think I'm on the wrong planet.
Blakknus is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2016, 09:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
Humbucker

Not even tempted.

Playing in my first college band in the 60's (in the UK) I acquired a "Futurama II" solid made in Czechoslovakia, I think! It was red, it had a truss rod and was just about playable after some work. I paid 25 for it second had using my grant money that was suppose to be for books and study. Looking back at inflation it's amazing to think that would be something close to 300 today - say $450!

Recently on E-bay one was offered for over 400. Nostalgia may be a warm feeling but it was a plywood plank with very rudimentary electrics that wouldn't be passed by a Chinese sweat shop today. Knowing how the thing played and sounded I was not even tempted. Soon moved on to a Hagstrom Coronado automatic with phenolic fingerboard, stainless steel frets, ten switches and serious posing cred.
MickeyB is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2016, 07:56 AM   #8 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

Mine was a white,GRIMSHAW PARK...les paul model...it was a excellent guitar made in 1960s England...wish i still had it.
Stannys-Epi is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2017, 05:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

First guitar I ever owned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyB View Post
Playing in my first college band in the 60's (in the UK) I acquired a "Futurama II" solid made in Czechoslovakia, I think! It was red, it had a truss rod and was just about playable after some work. I paid 25 for it second had using my grant money that was suppose to be for books and study. Looking back at inflation it's amazing to think that would be something close to 300 today - say $450!

Recently on E-bay one was offered for over 400. Nostalgia may be a warm feeling but it was a plywood plank with very rudimentary electrics that wouldn't be passed by a Chinese sweat shop today. Knowing how the thing played and sounded I was not even tempted. Soon moved on to a Hagstrom Coronado automatic with phenolic fingerboard, stainless steel frets, ten switches and serious posing cred.

Futurama II. Was my second guitar. It cost 35 in 1986. My God, it was awful! Mine was made in England by Selmer, according to the literature but I suspect it was imported much like JHS brands.

My next guitar was an El Maya EM 1300 - it cost 239 (reduced from 279) in 1988. That was a heck of a lot of money. I wirked all summer between my 1st and 2nd college years to buy that and my carlsbro stingray 100 super (which was 120).

The El Maya I still have but it now wears Seymour Duncan APH1 pickups. In over 30 years of playing, I have not met a guitar that surpasses it in quality (although I did go off the pickups when I played more clean and low gain hence the SDs). It's a very high end guitar, very rare and I have never seen another:

Here it is

My very first guitar (not including the Kay Acoustic I had aged 12 which really was a piece of firewood) was a Teisco Woolworths Top Twenty - exactly like the one Robert smith played in the early days of The Cure. It was actually not that bad. It cost 25 in 1986 and it lost its headstock in a revolving door accident when I took it into school one day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
vinnie1971 is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2017, 04:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

My first guitar was pretty much identical to this one, Tiesco Del Rey. These pieces of caca are bringing in decent money now (why?)
Attached Images

VoxSino is offline Offline   Reply With Quote