Gibson & Epiphone Guitar Forum
Registered Member Login:
Not a member? Register today!

Welcome to the Gibson & Epiphone Guitar Forum.

You're going to love it here. We've got Gibson & Epiphone forums, member galleries, classified ads, and more for you here.
You can read posts as a guest but posting here requires registration. But, don't worry, registering is quick, easy and painless. Why not register today?

Notices

Pickups, Pickups, Pickups Stop by and pickup on the discussion here about... pickups.

Old May 15th, 2013, 02:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

Gibson humbucker? Pickup ID help

Hi guys..Just looking for some help iding a humbucker..It reads roughly 7k and the pics tell the story. Any info you can provide as far as possible model/year ect.. is very much appreciated

guitarglynn is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2013, 07:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

Sure looks like a double cream PAF from Gibson, 1957 - 1962. At least the metal base and wiring does. If it is and it's all original, you have yourself a valuable piece there.
herb is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2013, 03:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

The pictures don't show some of the details that one would want to see, but I agree that there are enough similarities to a PAF that oe would want to make sure what itis before selling it. Better pics of the PAF decal and of the wiring through the square hole woudl be of interest. THe decal seems to be a bit off in size...both of the decal and of the font of the letters.....but better pics might clear that up. IF it is a PAF, it is amazingly clean considering that there is no cover on it.

Here is a link if you want to study about PAF's.

http://home.provide.net/~cfh/paf.html
Wally is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2013, 05:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
The pictures don't show some of the details that one would want to see, but I agree that there are enough similarities to a PAF that oe would want to make sure what itis before selling it. Better pics of the PAF decal and of the wiring through the square hole woudl be of interest. THe decal seems to be a bit off in size...both of the decal and of the font of the letters.....but better pics might clear that up. IF it is a PAF, it is amazingly clean considering that there is no cover on it.

Here is a link if you want to study about PAF's.

http://home.provide.net/~cfh/paf.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by herb View Post
Sure looks like a double cream PAF from Gibson, 1957 - 1962. At least the metal base and wiring does. If it is and it's all original, you have yourself a valuable piece there.
Thank you both for replying with some info..I have posted this on numerous forums and have discussed it a bit but still no conclusion as to what make the PU is..

Let me add a little more info. Wally, I am familiar with that info. Thanks for posting it though. The tooling marks, single wooden spacer ect..are something you see on a real vintage Gibson PAF. But the decal looks wrong to me too Wally. I can take more pics of it if you like. But the issues you see wrong with it I think are in fact what is wrong. I tried to take pics of the wiring through the square hole and it is very difficult with my phone to capture the detail. The wire is copper and it has a darkish look to it or more of a 'dirty' look to the wire. You can see that with the naked eye, the pics I took it doesn't give you any detail. Also the adjustable pole pieces are not brass. On another forum it was suggested possibly certain pieces were replaced. But I have no idea.

The guy I purchased it from said when he received it, he received it as an OTPG made pickup. On other forums I was told the sticker does not match theirs either. Their sticker looks real. Also the guy I purchased it from said because he was told it was an OTPG pickup he had it checked out by a pickup winder he trusts. The pickup winder told him it was an early seymour duncan paf. But nobody seems to see the connection there that I have talked to. I am going to post it up on the SD forum just to get those guys thoughts. They have some very knowledgeable guys over there when it comes to duncan pickups. They may be able to provide some insight.

As of now I still don't know what it is.
guitarglynn is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2017, 06:35 AM   #5 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

Reviving Thread

Good day folks! I'm reviving this thread hoping one of you PAF guys may help me ID these. They are in a 78 Ibanez 2630 Artist I bought, look like they've been there a good long while. I looked through http://www.guitarhq.com/paf.html, have had a couple of respected luthiers look at them, still no firm answer. The sticker looks questionable to me. They are on the hot side, to my ears, very resonsive. Haven't measured dimensions or resistance yet, she's getting a setup.

If they aren't real, could they be some kind of reissue?....Forgot, believe the bridge wire has 57+ tab on it. Really appreciate your time! Johnny
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4489.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	3251  

Name:	IMG_4492.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	3252